Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What makes wheel XYZ wheel XYZ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-06, 10:34 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Miyata, Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a newbie to serious riding and to this forum, and this question is the one that drove me here. That is, what makes a wheel a wheel? I am looking at Xero Xr1s, and cannnot figure out if all Xr1s=Xr1s. Some shops that build wheels claim Xr1s. Others on E-bay are built in Australia. Others claim Formula Xero xr1s, others do not. So does just the rim with a Xr1 label make them Xr1, or do ALL Xr1s consist of the same hubs, spokes, and rims? This seems to be more widespread than just Xero Xr1s.

Thanks for any info.

Halfast
Old 06-17-06, 10:40 AM

Bikes: 2000 Trek 4500, 2003 Motobecane Sprintour

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very interesting Halfast. I was researching some too about a month ago and ran into the same problem. I got frustrated and bought a different set. I am interested in what gets said in this one. Thanks
Old 06-18-06, 03:50 AM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I imagine it would be fair to say that a wheel is equal to the sum of its parts (rim+spokes+hub) + the skill of the assembler.