Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wind

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wind

This year the winds have been incredible, makes me feel like I'm in mud ( I know it's making me stronger but enough already). Two days ago when I was safe and sitting in my living room the gust were 60 mph.

Head winds are OK, Tailwinds are great but those darn crosswinds!
Anyone know of a biker getting knocked down by the winds?
Old 06-18-06, 06:33 AM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of years ago during the "Ironman" triathelon they had 50+ mph winds and several riders got blown over by sudden gusts.
A lot of the riders that attempt Mt. Washington get blown over....

I've got routes that I can take on windy days.... I just start out into the wind, ride till I'm cooked, turn around and let it blow me home.
Old 06-18-06, 07:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to me the wind is always in my face. Last weekend over Saturday and Sunday I did 140 miles. We had 35 mph winds both days. I would keep thinking to myself not to get worked up over riding out into the wind - that I would be rewarded with a swift tailwind coming back. No joy, it seemed the wind either shifted or whatever, but, riding back was just as bad as riding out.

The weather is much nicer this weekend. Did about 60 miles yesterday - looks like I'm a bit off track to make my 200 miles this weekend - but, hey, who cares.

Riding was pleasant without wind yesterday. I have never experienced 55 mph gusts. Must be quite fun.

Caruso
Old 06-18-06, 08:24 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That's some really strong winds! Give me hills over wind anyday!! At least you can see the top of the hill and know you're making progress......
Old 06-18-06, 09:16 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Grampy™
I've got routes that I can take on windy days.... I just start out into the wind, ride till I'm cooked, turn around and let it blow me home.
I've got a route that I ride frequently that is dead flat. Frequently, on the way out, everything seems to be going well which I attribute to my being in better shape than I had thought. Invariably the turn around point drives home the news that I've been riding with a tailwind.
Old 06-18-06, 11:28 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TaosWoman
Head winds are OK, Tailwinds are great but those darn crosswinds!
One of the reasons That decided I would abandon on the Offroad Jaunt in May was the news that riders WERE being blown off their bikes on the next Exposed section of the Hills. Other reasons were there like feeling shattered and didn't want to play any more but It does occur.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-18-06, 12:09 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
...Head winds are OK, Tailwinds are great but those darn crosswinds!
I almost went down once while riding sans hands while hit by a crosswind blast. Recovered just in time!
Old 06-18-06, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
That's some really strong winds! Give me hills over wind anyday!! At least you can see the top of the hill and know you're making progress......
Fortunately, winds that strong are rare around here. I just happened to have scheduled a lot of riding that weekend and decided not to let the wind keep me from it. Not only was it windy, but it was chilly for the season to boot.

This weekend has been much nicer - warm (hot), and breezes that can be described as gentle.

Caruso
Old 06-18-06, 08:59 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Grampy™
I've got routes that I can take on windy days....
My windy day miles are in a small valley that runs N - S so the winds, generally from the West are not a problem. 6 mile "laps" in the valley can be less than exciting but then I hate high wind days.
Old 06-19-06, 10:53 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Even more dangerous than being blown over by winds is the weaving caused by wind gusts. Leave lots of room between you and traffic on windy days.

Living in Montana has brought a whole new understanding to windy.
Old 06-19-06, 11:17 AM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Several years ago, the year that the big comet was in the spring sky, I skied the last two days of the season at Taos - boy, was it windy! At one point I just had to crouch down on my knees, with my back to the wind, for about 10 minutes. Good thing it wasn't all that cold, and I had on a good wind blocking shell. When it comes to cycling, I'll take hills over wind any day! I really notice cross winds with my bladed spokes.
Old 06-19-06, 03:12 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This year the winds have been incredible, makes me feel like I'm in mud ( I know it's making me stronger but enough already). Two days ago when I was safe and sitting in my living room the gust were 60 mph.
Along the Colorado front range, we had a very windy winter (broke the record for number of days with 20mph winds in January). Spring seemed equally windy to me. I think things are improving but we still have some very windy days, and it does seem like there's more wind than past years. I'm blaming global warming
Old 06-19-06, 04:54 PM
LMCM wannabe

Bikes: Peugot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden in winds here that have nearly blown me off the bike. Road intersections are bad - where the road intersects there are no trees and the wind is funnelled - like riding through a fire hose. Worse than the wind is the branches. The wind blows dead branches off the trees onto the road and then the cars run over them - they go off like rifle shots and pieces of shattered dead branch fire off in all directions. I've nearly been hit many times.
Anyone else had this experience??