Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Father's Day gift

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Father's Day gift

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Santana Sovereign (2021)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Father's Day gift

Help me decide how to spend my $60 REI gift certificate. I'm only two months into my cycling obsession, and have already purchased bike (Giant OCR1), helmet, shoes, shorts, pump, computer, lock, bottles. I have a list of several items competing for my next dollar (or 60 in this case)...

Jersey - currently wearing running shirts - good moisture wicking, but pockets would be nice!

Messenger bag or rack/bag for commuting

Shimano A520 pedals - would these spread the load better thereby reducing the occassional tingling/numnbess in the feet?

Computer with cadence

Heart Rate monitor

Jacket

2nd pair of shorts

I need to spend more time riding and less time shopping, but I want to make my family happy with their gift to me
Old 06-18-06, 09:39 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd get a computer. Also, what about a mirror? Have fun!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-18-06, 10:20 AM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A second pair of shorts.....in case the laundry doesn't get done-- you don't want to wear the same shorts twice (although everyone's normal crotch bacteria would be delighted at the prospect). Unless you have cold mornings, the jacket can wait. Heart rate monitor is a curiosity that before long will be left behind on rides unless you are very purposeful about using it to train. Pocketed jersey is useful-- and you can get sleeveless if you like.

+1 on DG's mirror suggestion...many of us use them (whichever style of mounting suits you) -- do a search here and you'll get much discussion.

Computers are helpful for distance, etc. but unless you are structured about your riding, you might put that off. I like cadence for my garage trainer to keep me from doping off while watching tv when I should be working harder. On the road, you can just mark 15 seconds and count-- after a while, you can "sense" your cadence and don't really need that feature.

P.S. Happy Father's Day!
Old 06-18-06, 11:15 AM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What Digital said and any of the following:

Tools like maybe a multi-tool, lights front and rear, seat bag, extra tubes, fenders for the commute, socks, lube, CO2 cartridges and inflator, rain jacket for the commute (got mine for $20), and any of seemingly a billion other things. Seems I always need something.
Old 06-18-06, 12:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good input - the HRM and Cadence computer would be marginally useful tech toys.

The jacket would be for the chilly morning rides - I normally ride around 6AM and it's been around 50 most mornings here in Wisconsin - until this week.
So, clothing it is... I'll need that second pair of shorts if I follow through on my urge to ride the MS150 in August.

I'll check into mirrors, too. A car blew past me last week and I had not even heard him until he passing me about 18 inches away. He may not have been that close, but it was a bit unnerving.
Old 06-18-06, 04:12 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd get the jersey if you don't already have one.... those pockets are more than handy for me...
Old 06-18-06, 04:36 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
If you ride almost every day, then get the second pair of shorts. If you ride every other day, then get the jersey.
Old 06-21-06, 11:47 AM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought A520 pedals because the little SPDs were uncomfortable on hot days. The A520 spread the pressure. If you already have SPD shoes and get pressure pain they are worth their weight (315g) in gold.
Old 06-21-06, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
REI Gift Certificate

Whatever you do, wait to do it on June 23rd...just got my little postcard in the mail announcing the REI 20-30% off sale.
Old 06-21-06, 12:49 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Help me decide how to spend my $60 REI gift certificate. I'm only two months into my cycling obsession, and have already purchased bike (Giant OCR1), helmet, shoes, shorts, pump, computer, lock, bottles. I have a list of several items competing for my next dollar (or 60 in this case)...

Jersey - currently wearing running shirts - good moisture wicking, but pockets would be nice!

A good Quality shirt is an investment but one is not enough

Messenger bag or rack/bag for commuting

Any back pack would do

Shimano A520 pedals - would these spread the load better thereby reducing the occassional tingling/numnbess in the feet?

Would improve cycling capabilities but may not help on comfort

Computer with cadence

Computer yes but cadence- if it costs much more would not be necessary

Heart Rate monitor

Not worth it in the early stages of riding- but if you are worried- then they are invaluable

Jacket

Long sleeve top for cooler days - or a lightweigjht top for "Damp" days is good

2nd pair of shorts

Plenty of riding or keep washing the used ones regularly

I need to spend more time riding and less time shopping, but I want to make my family happy with their gift to me

Then of course there are the other extra's like the spare bike, the spare tyres/wheels, the upgrades to existing parts and the Big cost of budgeting for the pie on the ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-21-06, 03:09 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I would suggest a long sleeve (or short sleeve, but in WI it gets cold) wool jersey
Old 06-21-06, 06:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know one thing for sure - I'm at least 40 pounds away from wearing a form fitting cycling jersey! So it's loose fit for me - or stick with my t shirts. A long sleeve shirt is a great idea - yesterday I had to come back for a jacket as it was a bit brisk starting out. Something that would stuff into my seat bag after I warm up would be great.

So I'll keep updating my list for both near term and longer term purchases (after reading one of the other threads, I think I need a new coffee machine ), and I will definitely watch for that sale at REI!