Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New York cyclist hit by NYPD tow truck; critical condition

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 09:06 AM
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Think this is somebody we might know?

https://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index...id=1&aid=60458

EDIT: Forgot to mention one salient detail. The cyclist was ON A BIKE PATH.
Old 06-23-06, 09:16 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
NICE...
While NY1 reporter Gary Anthony Ramsay was conducting an interview with one cyclist, another cyclist off camera was hit by a car making a right turn into the piers. The cyclist was unharmed, other than some cuts and bruises, but he stood up after the incident and shouted to the driver that he had the right of way.
Old 06-23-06, 09:17 AM

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having biked in Sweden, I can agree with what that person in the article says about Denmark and Europeans in general respecting bikers more and looking for them. Of course, what also helps is that the network of bike paths in Sweden is largely completely independent from the roads so the only traffic you're likely to encounter is other bikes or pedestrians (or the stray jerk on a scooter using the path illegally).

The craziest part about this story is that the news reporter was interviewing someone at the location and while he was there someone ELSE got hit by a car at the same intersection!
Old 06-23-06, 09:26 AM
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I'm glad the reporter pointed out the issues from a bicyclist's point of view. So often they just write the bicyclist was hit and no tickets were issued. Almost empowers cagers to mow down a guy on a bike with impunity.
Old 06-23-06, 09:50 AM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of course the cyclist had to shout to the driver. The driver's windows were rolled up and he wouldn't get out of the car to see if the cyclist was ok.

I was wondering the same thing about the cyclist and the other 3 cyclists they interviewed and whether any of them were BF'ers.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 06-23-06, 10:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the bikepath, but it really is crossed too many times by traffic going in and out of warehouses and tourist attractions on the piers. They should consolidate those turns into one or two places, and make a lane on the other side of the bike path for cars to go up and down to their specific destination.
Old 06-23-06, 10:47 AM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Of course the cyclist had to shout to the driver. The driver's windows were rolled up and he wouldn't get out of the car to see if the cyclist was ok.

I was wondering the same thing about the cyclist and the other 3 cyclists they interviewed and whether any of them were BF'ers.
The guy they interviewed with the bleeping and blurred censor around the mouth and groin area is me.
Old 06-23-06, 11:54 AM
Life is short Ride hard

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like on the website for ny1 there is an advertisement to work for the NYPD
Old 06-23-06, 02:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing the cyclist was going very fast to be hurt so badly, by a truck that was unlikely to be going more than 5mph
Old 06-23-06, 02:34 PM
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by godspiral
I'm guessing the cyclist was going very fast to be hurt so badly, by a truck that was unlikely to be going more than 5mph
Tow trucks make turns faster than 5 mph here, especially if they thinkt he coast is clear. Try more like 15 mph.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 06-23-06, 02:40 PM
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doesn't matter how fast the cyclist was going if he ended up under the wheels
Old 06-23-06, 02:42 PM
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slvoid
The guy they interviewed with the bleeping and blurred censor around the mouth and groin area is me.
just another night out on the town.
Old 06-23-06, 04:14 PM
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tow trucks make turns faster than 5 mph here, especially if they thinkt he coast is clear. Try more like 15 mph.
Tow truck drivers tend to be real cowboys in general; plus this guy's a cop, and I've never seen a New York cop wait for the light if he's first in line. It's a bad combination. Not to blame the victim -- for all accounts seem to indicate that the driver was in the wrong -- but I wonder if the cyclist had a light....

I've been checking NY1 all day for an update; so far, nothing.

EDIT: I just watched the video on the site. The cyclist gets hit WHILE THEY'RE FILMING! They pan away from the interview, and there's a roadie in full kit, stretched out in the bike path with some Saturn or something nosing him down! Unbeliveable.

Last edited by Bklyn; 06-23-06 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-23-06, 09:03 PM
Bubba Ho-Tep's BFF

Bikes: Brompton & a Bianchi Volpe do-it-all-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd really like to know what sort of follow up there will be. I'll be contacting NY1 to see if they will follow up on the story, and see if Trans Alt is doing the same.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned or something, but come on, there's got to be some kind of accountability for being the reason some fellow ends up in the hospital with head injuries. Some possible scenarios include the driver just ignoring the cyclist's right of way (I've had my own close calls with cagers who have done that), or perhaps both cyclist and tow truck driver both had reds and they both ignored it, a violation itself... We just don't know yet.

It's a hard thing to do, taking responsibility for your own actions, it has caused me some grief at times but I feel it is the only honorable thing to do.
Old 06-24-06, 08:15 AM
militant commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had it out with cabbies there too, remember about the lights: they are on the same sequence as the bikes, red for cars, red for bikes, if the car or tow truck is turning, they have to yield to peds and bikes, the car is at fault. The story says the tow truck was southbound and the rider was northbound, the turning vehicle is at fault. Yet the suggestion that both had reds, and ran them, that is a very common occurrence too.

edit: for those that do not know, there is no right on red in NYC- thankfully.
Old 06-24-06, 09:24 AM
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plus those are massive, multi-ton vehicles likely to cause serious dammage even at somewhat slower speeds.

I must admit that I am perhaps at times too catious on the Greenway. I don't trust that drivers crossing it at the too-plentiful crossings to have any clue of where they are (i.e. the middle of a busy, congested cyclepath - though the accident above apparently happened late at night... still my point holds minus the congested part).
Old 06-24-06, 11:25 AM
Max

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burbankbiker
that person in the article says about Denmark and Europeans in general respecting bikers more and looking for them. Of course, what also helps is that the network of bike paths in Sweden is largely completely independent from the roads so the only traffic you're likely to encounter is other bikes or pedestrians (or the stray jerk on a scooter using the path illegally).
I cycled in Copenhagen, Denmark. I noticed a lot of scooters on the bike paths.
Old 06-27-06, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unfortunately, this story doesn't have a happy ending.

Manhattan Doctor Hit by Tow Truck Dies
Old 06-27-06, 10:16 AM
more ape than man

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dubes
Unfortunately, this story doesn't have a happy ending.

Manhattan Doctor Hit by Tow Truck Dies
oh no. i heard rumors but was hoping it wasn't true. i think the doctors family should look into a wrongful death case. hell, i'd even testify at how fast and reckless those guys drive.
Old 06-27-06, 03:09 PM
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dammit that sucks! I wonder if speed bumps at Greenway crossings would make these idiots think twice?
Old 06-27-06, 06:26 PM
Bubba Ho-Tep's BFF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Transportation Alternatives is going to release this at a press conference tomorrow.
https://www.transalt.org/press/releas...stcrashes.html

3 crashes in the past week, 2 resulted in deaths.

I had a really close call about 6 weeks back, I had the right of way and a car drove and cut me off making a left turn in front of me. I was paying attention, but you know when time slows down in those situations, you know it's too close. I hunted that cager down and gave him what-for. What I didn't do was report him. I should have called the cops straight away. I try to respect the rules, all I expect is for the cagers to do the same.
Old 06-27-06, 06:38 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ok... you know what everyone didn't notice... 11:30PM...

That place should've been dead empty at 11:30pm, did this guy have lights?
Old 06-27-06, 07:48 PM
Bubba Ho-Tep's BFF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Ok... you know what everyone didn't notice... 11:30PM...

That place should've been dead empty at 11:30pm, did this guy have lights?
Excellent point. Legally, you need the light here in NYC.

So, I watched the video again. If you search NY1.com for "cyclist" and you look for the June 23rd video. Looking @ the broadband video the opening shot of the two bikes on the ground you see one of them with a blinking strobe for the front light. Can't say if that was the bike hit or not.

No, we don't know all the facts. Unfortunately the facts may not come out until after a court case, if there is one. We just don't know. Sadly, it doesn't help him at all.
Old 06-27-06, 08:07 PM
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If the other bike had a light, it could well have been damaged when the bike was hit... and you wouldn't be able to see it in the video.

So yes... no way to tell without seeing a police report, or talking to the wife.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 06-27-06, 08:11 PM
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I was wondering about the lights. I've been out there at that hour (coming back from Bryant Park outdoor movie) with 30 Watts of halogen lights a-blazing (plus front blinkie), reflective tape, etc. It is easy, though, at that hour to think there are no cars crossing the path.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.