Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Loose Spokes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Loose Spokes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 01:23 PM

Bikes: 15 year old no-suspension Cannondale.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loose Spokes

Ok gang, my mate asked me to look at his bike yesterday (Claude Butler MTB - I don't recall the model) because the back wheel was "wobbly." I dismounted the wheel and re-seated it, but that didn't help. The wheel still didn't rotate without wobbling. Yeap, remembering my Zinn (my mate and I are both newbies to the maintenance of bikes) I ran my hand around his spokes.

"Can't be that," I thought. "The bike is only two months old and hasn't been ridden THAT much."

Yeap - at last count I found no less than 9 loose spokes.

So my question is, how do spokes (that many??) get so loose so soon? Is it something we can fix, or should he go to the LBS?

Thanks, and I feel as if we averted a disaster. Had he ridden the bike again.....

Paul in Harnham, Salisbury
Old 06-23-06, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Every spoke affects the tension of every other spoke so loose spokes beget more loose spokes.

At this point, unless you are confident of what you are doing, I'd recommend taking the wheel to a shop. What needs to be done is to loosen all of the spokes until just one thread is showing, then gradually build even tension back into the wheel.
Old 06-23-06, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Usually wheels come apart like you mate's has because the wheel was built too loose to begin with. If the bike is only two months old, take it back to the shop. This was an initial assembly error that the shop is responsible for. Even if they didn't build the wheel, any reputable shop, on assembly, will catch an undertensioned wheel and correct the problem.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1