Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

advice on carbon compact cranks

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 02:15 PM
old and slow

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Roubaix, 2005 Cervelo P3 SL, Union Freetime, 2006 Look 585 Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I'm building a dream roadbike and will go carbon compact with the cranks. I'm leaning toward Shimano Drivetrain because I will build a pair of wheels with King Hubs and they do not come in Campy. Here are the questions. I'm not interested in the Ultegra level shimano compact and want to go with a high end carbon compact crankset in the $500 range. I was thinking that I would go with an FSA K-Force MegaExo Compact Crankset w/BB but I have questions about the quality. I've read that some problems with crankarms becoming loose have been occuring. Has this been resolved and can anyone give me advice on this or recommend an eye candy sweet carbon compact crank?

My other option is to go Campy Record CT and use a conversion cassette (M10?). If someone can tell me for sure that I can go Campy with the King hubs, use a conversion kit and have no problems, I'll go all Campy Record. That's the plan so far but I'd like to ask the experts out there. Thanks for the help and any other suggestions. The bike is a 2006 Look 585 in Tangerine.

Cheers,

Slisk
Old 06-24-06, 04:44 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Sell the King hubs and use the money to buy some Zonda or Eurus wheels. Then go all Campy. You can never achieve really great performance from mixing between manufacturers. Either go all Shimano or all Campy. Campy offers wheels that are easily the equal of Chris King. Good luck

Tim