Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Which Egg Beaters?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Which Egg Beaters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-06, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Which Egg Beaters?

Thinking about making the switch to the clipless pedals and people here seem to like egg beaters. Looks like there are a number of varieties, which one are the ones I want? Looks like Nashar has some $60, $100 and $130. What' the difference?
Old 06-24-06, 07:08 AM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mainly spindle material and weight. Some of the higher-end ones may have Ti springs and engagement mechanisms as well, but most of the difference is in weight, just as with other brands.
Old 06-24-06, 07:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight and materials. The basic model is cromo. The next step up is stainless steel. They all function just about the same. I would just get the Cs unless there is a good deal on the stainless model.

You will like the pedals. Nashbar and pricepoint often have good deals on eggbeater/shoe combos.
Old 06-24-06, 07:11 AM
Sofa King Fast

Bikes: 2007 Scott CR1 team-that's the only one that matters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mostly weight as they use more exotic materials in the more expensive version, thus they weight less. There is some talk about the chrome, the cheapest version, not holding up as well as the other models, thus i got the next one up, the stainless steel.
Old 06-24-06, 08:32 AM
Biggity-bam

Bikes: Pista Concept, Fetish beater, Fuji road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah like people have said the chrome model will not hold up to weather as well as the Stainless. If you mountain bike with them or scuff them hard, get them wet and dirty frequently, they may rust. (I have the chromes and I have absolutely no problems, although I don't ride in the rain).
Old 06-24-06, 08:45 AM
MADE IN HONG KONG

Bikes: some but not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have Candy C's , SL's, C's and Mallet C's. Darn if they don't all work crisp and smooth. No corrosion prob yet with the C's, but they have not been taxed in the wet and mud.
Old 06-24-06, 09:03 AM
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
You'll note that on the cheapest model, the edges of the pedal 'wings' are not rounded. I have heard of issues with these eating the bottoms of people's shoes. The SS version and higher have rounded edges and don't do this.
Old 06-24-06, 09:07 AM
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: spicer fixie, Haro BMX, cyclops track, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a pair of the stainless ones and I have been thinking of picking up a pair of their quattros... anyone have any experience with this model?
Old 06-24-06, 09:24 AM
"not enough rage"

Bikes: Old ****ed up Cannondale roadie, peice o **** Gitane as a beater, and I use my Nishiki for bike camping

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the stainless, got em on craigslist for $60. after about 1 1/2 years I've worn out the cleat, but the pedals look much like they did when I bought them. I'm using toe clips till I can buy a new set of cleats, but I highly recomend egg beaters.

Last edited by Old Breadbutt; 06-25-06 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-24-06, 09:44 AM
Alba-Core

Bikes: Kogswell Model G, Surly Pacer, Pake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiznaz
I have a pair of the stainless ones and I have been thinking of picking up a pair of their quattros... anyone have any experience with this model?
I have them on my roadie, and they pretty much rule.
Old 06-24-06, 09:46 AM
Trailikalkkuna

Bikes: Intense Uzzi VPX, EAI Bareknucle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the Chromos which were great pedals while riding with a bike that has a freewheel, but they unclipped quite often when I was skidding with a fixed gear bike - which was not a "nice" feature.

I swithed to shimano spd 540's as the Shimanos do not unclip while skidding. ie. I feel safer with them. I liked the eggbeater more though in other areas... (clipping in, mud shedding, "feel" etc)
Old 06-24-06, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Anyone else have the unclipping while skidding problem with egg beaters? This would be a big issue for me as I'm brakeless. I don't skid a ton, but the pedal interface is my primary braking mecahnism. I was thinking they would improve my control over clips and straps with my street shoes.

Was thinking of getting a pair of those Shimano sandals for the summer and some of the more normal looking mountain shoes for when it cools off.
Old 06-24-06, 10:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you only unclip if your feet twist out. i've never had them just unclip just from pulling up.
Old 06-24-06, 11:05 AM
Look ma...no brakes!

Bikes: Locally built track bike, Kona mtb, Giant Road Bike, Soon to be Surly LHT Tourer!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with candy SL's...I used to have the stainless ones, but the semi-platform makes riding so much nicer on your feet
Old 06-24-06, 11:09 AM
Sofa King Fast

Bikes: 2007 Scott CR1 team-that's the only one that matters

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't imagine how the pedals would unclip themselves while skidding unless your doing some funky stuff by angling your heel inwards or outwards. Otherwise maybe make the pedals release later to help prevent accidently unclipping.
Old 06-24-06, 11:18 AM
Trailikalkkuna

Bikes: Intense Uzzi VPX, EAI Bareknucle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by .:Jimbo:.
I can't imagine how the pedals would unclip themselves while skidding unless your doing some funky stuff by angling your heel inwards or outwards. Otherwise maybe make the pedals release later to help prevent accidently unclipping.
Yes, I think it is that. The eggbeater float so easily, so it might be that my flimsy anckles are letting my heels move while I skid. The shimanos do not float so easy -> no unclips so far.

I had some very interesting situations with eggbeaters running steep downhills and trying to reduce speed....
skip...skip...skid...UNCLIP... Holy F!!! -> no egg beater in a fixed gear for me, thank you.
Old 06-24-06, 11:20 AM
stunna shades on

Bikes: cannondale caad4 campy sleeper, ghetto-fab khs flite 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
Anyone else have the unclipping while skidding problem with egg beaters? This would be a big issue for me as I'm brakeless. I don't skid a ton, but the pedal interface is my primary braking mecahnism. I was thinking they would improve my control over clips and straps with my street shoes.

Was thinking of getting a pair of those Shimano sandals for the summer and some of the more normal looking mountain shoes for when it cools off.
no accidental unclipping while skidding with my strong leg. although, i've been trying to skip more w/ my weak leg, and it's mostly a matter of form and technique, but i've unclipped while trying to get that down.

this might not pertain to some, but a point of contention i've had is eggbeater's roll-clip-in "feature" (move foot across pedal, cleat catches spindle, click in - makes it easier). since i have toe-overlap, i usually unclip at low speeds or during a trackstand. and i've clipped-in by accident a few times. and that's no fun when you've already signaled to your body that it's time to put a foot down.

because of this, i've been thinking of going back to clips/straps or trying out those shimano spds w/ one side that has a platform.
Old 06-24-06, 11:20 AM
biff-o-matic

Bikes: Moyer Cycles #1 - A fixie of course.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad this thread came up....

I just destroyed the bearings in one of the Chromo's last night. I extremely hard on bike components, and have a tendency to break everything. I like the whole eggbeater system - it's really secure and convienient. However, breaking after only 3 months of use is unacceptable.

So are the Candies that much better?
Old 06-24-06, 12:58 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i've got the ss beaters and ss candies and like em both. i do actually find sometimes my foot slides around on the candies platform before i hit the engagement, but with the beaters it's either in or you're not on the pedal. never had a prob unclipping while skidding or skipping, like morbot said that would only happen if you twist your foot, and then pretty much any pedal is gonna release.
i've had both for almost two years now and haven't needed to rebuild em or get new cleats yet.
Old 06-24-06, 02:07 PM
get_nuts

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
They are flimsy and have a design flaw which causes them to break at the spindle. TIME "ATAK" pedals are far superior, IMO. As far as unclipping, this could also be caused by worn down cleats.

Old 06-24-06, 09:48 PM
MADE IN HONG KONG

Bikes: some but not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by get_nuts
They are flimsy and have a design flaw which causes them to break at the spindle. TIME "ATAK" pedals are far superior, IMO. As far as unclipping, this could also be caused by worn down cleats.
Care to share about the flaw?

As a data point: I've only ever had one unintentional un-clipping, and that was because the cleats were almost worn to nothing. BUT! I do run brakes, so stresses would be lower.

Interestingly, when switching between my bikes with the SL's and the ones w platform C's, the worn cleats feel less worn on the C bikes than the SL bikes.
Old 06-25-06, 02:22 AM

Bikes: fixed centurion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eggbeaters are for weightweinies,

get some spd's or some good road pedals
Old 06-25-06, 02:38 AM
"not enough rage"

Bikes: Old ****ed up Cannondale roadie, peice o **** Gitane as a beater, and I use my Nishiki for bike camping

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly

YES. both skidding and slowing myself down hills.
I'm pretty sure it's from the cleat being worn out though. they didn't use to have this problem, and the cleats show a good deal of wear.
Old 06-25-06, 08:28 AM
i am sure that i hate you

Bikes: 'Cha-ruzu Fosuta Orusan Kein' Fuji Track (2005), Schwinn Tank MTB (?), Fuji Royale (1979)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like my eggbeater Cs and quattro SLs
never unclipped unintentionally.
Of Proposition 187
Old 06-25-06, 10:01 AM
Good Afternoon!

Bikes: Various by application

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poopncow
Care to share about the flaw?

As a data point: I've only ever had one unintentional un-clipping, and that was because the cleats were almost worn to nothing. BUT! I do run brakes, so stresses would be lower.

Interestingly, when switching between my bikes with the SL's and the ones w platform C's, the worn cleats feel less worn on the C bikes than the SL bikes.
Do a search, numerous users have had the pedal break at the spindle and slide off while riding. Application doesn't seem to matter, I've seen it firsthand on road bikes & fixes, but even more complaints from downhillers (they are probably the guys to listen to when it comes to pedal durability, unclipping, etc. Coming off a long drop can yank the beejeesus out of a pedal, super sudden torque) If it were just guys skidding or downhillers landing that'd be one thing, but that it has happened across a broad spectrum points to some inherent weakness where the spindle is attached to the body.

The upside is that Crank Brothers has awesome customer service and replaces broken gear without a fuss, plus their no doubt finding a fix for said problem as we type.

I'm a busted phonograph, but Time is the way to go for fixed, toughest & securest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.