Search
Notices
Mountain Bike Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

florida xc races

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-03, 09:48 PM
cat 5 road racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
florida xc races

Im just wondering if anyone knows any races in florida that i might compete in to start off. any help is appreciated, thanks.

-mike D
Old 01-27-03, 12:20 PM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is probably the best series to get into XC racing. Races are all over the state. There is also a Southern Series for races in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area. Since you're in O'Land area stick to the northern series.

www.goneriding.com

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 01-27-03, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, check out the posting a few lines down. It's an upcoming 12 hour race just north of Ocala. The weekend of Feb 8 & 9.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
Old 01-28-03, 10:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the race in Alachua, Florida. My home is 5 minutes away from there.. so even if I don't plan on racing, I'm going to show up and look around and see what races are like. Never been to one. The trails in Alachua would be perfect for your first race... there's nothing EXTREMELY technical, so you'd have plenty of room to run. I believe the date of the race is 3-3-03... so be there or be square! Maybe we can meet up and go for a ride, eh?
Old 01-28-03, 10:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lied.. the race is on 3-2-03... it looks like it's going to be an awesome race. It's sponsored by Specialized, and the profits help support our local trails.. which is awesome. The course is getting really fast. It's a fairly new set of trails, but they're starting to get extremely fast and hard packed.
Old 01-29-03, 11:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hailes Trails? Where are those? Are those the ones right next to the GatorBack MX track? If they are, that is one killer trail. Only open on Race Weekends.(At least they only used to be). I've made special trips to G-Ville on Sat's before Raceday just to ride these trails!

May have to take you up on your offer Jim. Got a place to crash? How about a lawn so I can set-up a tent?

I'll keep you informed of my availability!

L8R
Old 01-29-03, 11:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm actually not sure why they called them "Hailes Trails" because they go by a different name. We call them "San Felasco" which is the name of the state preserve that the trails are located on. If you drive all the way up here, I'm sure we can work something out and get you a place to stay. It'll be my first race... so a veteran to help me shakedown will be awesome.
Old 01-29-03, 11:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm... from the looks of this they've changed the location of the race. I remember reading a flyer at my LBS that said the race was to be held in Alachua, but it clearly says it's in Gainesville. I don't exactly know where Hailes Trails are.... but I'm pretty sure I know the type of terrain and where they might be located at. I'm deffinitely up for riding them. Maybe I've been missing out on a Gainesville mountain biking gem!
Old 01-31-03, 12:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so a veteran to help me shakedown will be awesome.
LOL, veteran? Me? Dude, you are so off base with that thought process.

I have raced a couple of times, it's fun, but not something I do all the time. Training for racing takes the fun out of riding for me!

I just like to go ride, have fun, stop and enjoy the scenery, ...etc.

L8R
Old 02-03-03, 11:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's mostly what I'm into. But I like to keep in shape.. lately I've been training.. but I don't really call it training. More like riding as much as possible