Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

gross medical ailment of the week!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 06:52 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some may remember my post about the CAT scan searching for the big "C". They didn't find cancer, but I found out this afternoon after a second review of the CT scans, they found an cyst in my bladder that is infected(Urachal Cyst). The Doc ran a scope up through my penis into the bladder and showed it to me. So bladder surgery in about two weeks to get rid of the cyst. He says it is highly unlikely that the cyst is cancerous
Woo Hoo! I may finally get this resolved!
Old 06-26-06, 06:57 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good news indeed!

So, did you enjoy the "procedure?" :-)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-26-06, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Had a cyst that was infected too. Urologist treated it with heavy does of antibiotics. No surgery needed in my case. Urologist went on to say that about 40% of all males have a cyst on kidneys or bladder. It is a relief to know it's not the big "C".
Old 06-26-06, 07:20 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on 3 rounds of antibiotics for Urinary Infections and it didn't help. It is causing some inflammation on the bladder wall that is beginning to close off the entrance to the bladder so he feels it is better to remove the cyst. Then again he may just need a new boat

As for the "procedure" The worst part was when the scope went through the prostate, whoa nelly! that was no fun!
Old 06-26-06, 07:26 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by velonomad

As for the "procedure" The worst part was when the scope went through the prostate, whoa nelly! that was no fun!
They would have to give me the whole bottle of Tequila for that one.........

Very good to hear it's curable.
Old 06-26-06, 08:54 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Extra parts

Some may remember my post about the CAT scan searching for the big "C". They didn't find cancer, but I found out this afternoon after a second review of the CT scans, they found an cyst in my bladder that is infected(Urachal Cyst). The Doc ran a scope up through my penis into the bladder and showed it to me. So bladder surgery in about two weeks to get rid of the cyst. He says it is highly unlikely that the cyst is cancerous
Glad to hear it will soon be resolved. I go in July 5th to have a biopsy on a thyroid nodule. One of the things I don't like about getting old is the extra parts we seem to start growing.
Old 06-27-06, 06:40 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I have been on 3 rounds of antibiotics for Urinary Infections and it didn't help. It is causing some inflammation on the bladder wall that is beginning to close off the entrance to the bladder so he feels it is better to remove the cyst. Then again he may just need a new boat

I see seeking medical treatment as a real personal strength. It's amazing to me how many men don't seek medical help when they should, or wait until it's too late... especially when it deals with issues of one's plumbing. Glad you're working toward better health.
Old 06-27-06, 10:58 AM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glad to hear you are going to have it removed. A friend of mine delayed this surgery until it exploded and then had to go in for emergency surgery. May the Surgeon have good hands the day of your surgery!!

When i recieved my transplant they inserted a hard plastic catheter tube near my bladder. I was awake when they removed it a month later. That was an experience as the contraption (scope with fingers) looked like one of the eyes on the spaceships in the original War of the Worlds, or one of those flashlights with an bendable neck.

Edit: And a nurse that looked like Beulah Ballbreaker did the prep.

Heres to a speedy recovery.
Old 06-27-06, 12:11 PM
Pain ?? What Pain !!

Bikes: 2010 Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good News & Good Luck !!!
Old 06-27-06, 01:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recall that episode of "Deadwood" where Al Swearingen has a kidney stone and the instrument (more accurately "tool") the doc uses to penetrate to the heart of the matter. That scene had me writhing in my chair. The point: things are so much easier now...and the relief so much more painless to attain. Glad to hear you are almost back to being a young stud again after an emotionally trying time.
Old 06-28-06, 10:49 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edp773
And a nurse that looked like Beulah Ballbreaker did the prep.
They never choose the cute ones for that procedure. Perhaps that is a good thing.
Old 06-28-06, 11:07 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Brown
They never choose the cute ones for that procedure. Perhaps that is a good thing.
My uroliogist is a total babe! Seriously! It's hilarious to go in for a prostate exam. I look forward to going in and hanging out with her for a while, then she puts on her surgical gloves...
Old 06-28-06, 12:25 PM
The Other White Meat

Bikes: Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
Glad to hear it will soon be resolved. I go in July 5th to have a biopsy on a thyroid nodule. One of the things I don't like about getting old is the extra parts we seem to start growing.
Maybe it's nature's way of compensating for the bits that have to get snipped off or cut out from time to time.

My own medical drama is plain vanilla by comparison. I feel as if I got hit on the left side of my face with a shoe after three crown preps, amalgam removal and re-seating another crown yesterday. The three hour process was nearly pain free, thanks to anaesthetics and nitrous oxide. Tomorrow I visit the physical therapist for the shoulder dislocation/humerus fracture and Friday the chiropractor for structural fallout from the same accident.
Old 06-28-06, 07:34 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why did my legs clench together as I read this?