Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NYC - Bad crash in Central Park last night

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Did anyone else see the bad crash last night in Central Park around 7:15 or 7:30?

It was on West Drive at that crosswalk on the descent right after you come off that last hill by the reservoir and on the way down to the low flat stretch by the lake.

When I rode by on my first lap it appeared to have just occurred. It wasn't clear what happened, but it looked like two riders down to me. One was sitting up, looking a bit dazed though conscious. Unfortunately, the other rider was laying face down and sort of on his side, with his helmeted head down on the pavement. He was not moving and was bleeding from the head. It looked serious. By the time I got around again, there were multiple ambulances and police cars there, and they were loading him in on a stretcher.

I sure do hope it looked worse than it actually was and that everyone turns out to be alright.
Old 06-29-06, 08:09 AM
Forever a Newbie

Bikes: 04 cervelo superprodigy, 95 colnago masterlight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO, probably the most dangerous part of that loop. I see EMT workers loading cyclists into the back of their ambulance at that intersection at least a couple of times a year.
Old 06-29-06, 08:12 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wai2fast
IMO, probably the most dangerous part of that loop. I see EMT workers loading cyclists into the back of their ambulance at that intersection at least a couple of times a year.
I agree that is the most dangerous spot. It's one of the more crowded crosswalks and it happens to be on a descent. I couldn't tell if pedestrians were involved at all, but due to the fact that it happened right there, I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited by acape; 06-29-06 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-29-06, 09:10 AM
BMC Lover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah - I think it'd be a safe assumption that peds were involved, either directly or indirectly (ie two bikes attempting to avoid a ped slam into each other).

Seemed like the park was more insane than usual last night - fortunately I was forcing myself into a recovery ride on my fixed, so I tried to take it fairly easy through the loops.

Be prepared for even more cops out there forcing cyclist to slow down to the 15 mph bike speed limit; didn't seem them there yesterday - but last Friday they were set up on the NE area (by the baseball diamonds).
Old 06-29-06, 09:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mayor was there

I saw the crash. It looked pretty serious. One guy was lying face down on the ground with blood clearly coming from his face. When I got there, Mayor Bloomberg had pulled up in his black SUV and was checking it out. Good for him. It is great that we have a mayor that gets involved to this level.

Instead of slowing down cyclists, how about getting the police to stop pedestrians from crossing against the light?
Old 06-29-06, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bloomberg probably just came from the "bomb scare" on first ave between 68th and 65th. I live there and could go home until 8:00 or so. Many black SUVs. I was told later that there was a suspicious package at the chirping chicken at 66th and 1st.
Old 06-29-06, 10:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djbowen1
Bloomberg probably just came from the "bomb scare" on first ave between 68th and 65th. I live there and could go home until 8:00 or so. Many black SUVs. I was told later that there was a suspicious package at the chirping chicken at 66th and 1st.
"Yes, I'd like to report a suspicious package...it's a box, and it seems to be chirping."
Old 06-29-06, 10:43 AM
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I tried doing the evening CP rides last year, but decided it wasn't the trouble, with the clueless peds, aggressive cyclists, wayward rollerbladers, pedicabs, etc.

Doing intervals sessions on my rollers/trainer seem to be just as productive...and safer.
Old 06-29-06, 10:44 AM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acape
"Yes, I'd like to report a suspicious package...it's a box, and it seems to be chirping."
and it smells like... chicken.
Old 06-29-06, 10:49 AM

Bikes: GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jose R
I tried doing the evening CP rides last year, but decided it wasn't the trouble, with the clueless peds, aggressive cyclists, wayward rollerbladers, pedicabs, etc.

Doing intervals sessions on my rollers/trainer seem to be just as productive...and safer.
I'm totalling screwing myself here but what about Riverside Drive and the Greenway on the Upper West side? You can hit some short hills in the 100-125th Street between B'way and the River and then get some miles in on Riverside south (so no/little crossing traffic) then back north on Greenway. Once you get past the marina/boathosue it clears out nicely. Couple of loops there...
Old 06-29-06, 02:54 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did anyone see/read anything in the news about this? I couldn't find anything...
Old 07-03-06, 05:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did read about the 2 incidents here in NYC where i live, but it was very suprising to learn that the doctor(cyclist) who was hit by a NYC police two truck along the bike path wasnt wearing a helmet, you would think that a doc would know better.
Old 07-03-06, 05:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a doorman on the westside of NYC and a cyclist also, i had a guy in my building a few years ago who had a very had accident because this lady didnt have her dog on a leash, the dog came out of nowhere and he tried not to hit the dog and went right into a parked car breaking his arm, collar bone and ribs, he sued her for the damaged bike and hospital bills and time out of work, with this i just want to say how the laws are so strict against us cyclist, but when something happend to one of us...alot of times nothing is done