Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Specialized Stumpy FSR v. Cannondale Rush (I have Max 2K burning a hole on pocket)

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Specialized Stumpy FSR v. Cannondale Rush (I have Max 2K burning a hole on pocket)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 04:11 AM
Ranzak

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Ok anyone out there with a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 2006 model or a Cannondale 2006 Rush model that would like to weigh in on their respective merits... I am looking for a "all-mountain" bike for Pisgan/Tsali/Dupont single track trail riding I do NOT need a "jump/huck" bike. Local dealers I like have me narrowed down to the Cannondale Rush series and the Specialized Stumpy FSR lines. I love my Cannondale road bike and have loved my Gary Fisher HT to death ... Max of 2K to burn Thanks for the help

6ft and 189 lbs if that helps ...

Old 07-01-06, 05:10 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Hey I just went through this decision myself. Honestly the bikes are fairly similar but have big differences that seperate them. First off you may want to also look at the Prophet. It has the same travel as the Stumpy FSR and is the same cost as the Rush at a given level. I too am (was) a roadie looking to get a MTB. I was looking at everything and a friend of mine who also happens to be the GM of my LBS first talked me into a FS over a HT and then into hydros over mechanicals. I was originally looking at the Stumpy HT and the Prophet 600 two very different bikes but I wasn't really sure what I wanted. Then he talked me into the FS with the argument that as a roadie I would like the smoother ride...and something about me getting older...whatever. So then I was looking at the Epic, the Stumpy FSR, the Rush and the Prophet. The Epic with Hydros was a bit too much cash...hell it was going to cost more than my Roubaix did...and in talking more with my friend he thought I would like the Rush over the Prophet as he didn't think I would need as much bike as the Prophet is. Ok so now I test rode the Stumpy FSR Comp and the Rush 2000 (they didn't have the 800 in stock in my size the 200 was the closest thing). I liked different things about both bikes. The Stump was VERY plush in it's ride and the shifting was comfortable as I have rapidfire on my commuter, the Dual control of the Rush was different but I could see getting used to it pretty quickly as it isn't dis-similar from a roadie in it's shifting. The big seperator in my mind between these bikes was the bob. On the Stumpy I was clearly bobing up and down while pedaling even on only moderate efforts and seated. The Rush felt much more solid, almost HT like in it's pedaling feel but then you could also feel it absorb the bigger hits and rougher terrain. Because of the bob and pedaling feel I ordered a Rush 800. Bonus to have a buddy that rus the shop so I am getting it for $1700. Should be here on Wed...I can't wait.

So go ride them, you will clearly see a difference, then you can decide which one you like better...for me it was the Rush.
Old 07-01-06, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be original, go with the Cannondale.
Old 07-01-06, 08:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same predicament. I was looking at the Stumpy FSR and the Rush/ Prophet. I ended up ordering the stumpy BUT after waiting over 3 weeks I found out the bike was stuck in customs for another 2 weeks. So I put an end to that bike and started looking at other bikes, so I rode the rush and prophet again. Ended up choosing the Prophet 800, I love the lefty its such a versatile shock and it never misses a beat. With the prophet came free upgrades to because I didnt want to down grade some of my components. They ended up giving me LX shifters and Avid Juicy 7's for free on it instead of the dual controls.

FYI I bought the Stumpy for 1699.99 which they also gave me the Prophet 800 for. I figured that might help your negotiations a little
Old 07-01-06, 08:56 AM
It's all good!!!

Bikes: 2006 Stumpjumper, 2005 Hardrock Sigle Speed, 2002 Trek 2000 Road Bike, 2007 Stumpjumper Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in Dupont and Pisgah, and yes I own a 2006 FSR Stumpjumper. In my opinion, it is the perfect set up for this area. I really love mine. Go see Wes Dixon at Sycamore Cycles and he will set you up. You wil not be sorry. It is a great ride.
Old 07-01-06, 08:40 PM

Bikes: 70s Motobecane and '06 Enduro (and a kickass little pink and purple schwinn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 2006 stumpjumper and it is great. I don't get any bob unless I really hammer. Might not have had the shock at the right pressure. They seem almost the same so you should really just try to ride the two and find out which one feels best for you.
Old 07-01-06, 09:56 PM
Ranzak

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thanks all for the input ...

Old 07-02-06, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the Trek Fuel line as well. Great bike to compare the Cannadale and Specialized to. I'm considering a Stumpjumper FSR and a Trek Fuel 7.

Dan
Old 07-02-06, 07:46 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buy whatever one comes with SRAM components.