Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Recovery Training

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Recovery Training

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 07:43 AM
Boffin

Bikes: 2003 LeMond Alpe d'Huez, 2000 Merlin Road Titanium (Carbon Fiber Front Fork)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recovery Training

Hey

So some of you will know that i messed my ankle up pretty bad about 1 - 2 weeks before the end of April. For all i know, i could be recovering from the injury for another 6 months. As it is, i'll find out if i need surgery in 2 more weeks or so. It is getting better...3 weeks after injury i could actually put weight on it. Then 5 weeks or so of wearing a metal walking cast...the muscle atrophy (loss) is very noticeable...a little stronger now that i can walk on it unaided, but i can really notice the lack of muscle in doing ordinary things.

I'm able to swim and walk around like normal, though my ankle is very stiff in the morning. I cant push off too hard with it while swimming, or run and things like that. That'll come back in time, as i go through physical therapy concerntrated on getting movement fully back to ankle. So, i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as weights etc (i am sure i will still be trying to get back in shape once i go back to school) over the next 2 months + the winter so that i can take full advantage of next spring/summer as far as cycling goes.
Old 07-02-06, 03:04 PM
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well you can ask your PT. There are weight machines at the clinic so I'm sure your PT can recommend something.

You can start swimming now using a pull buoy. That should keep you fit.

If you're not squeemish about building some upper body strength I guess you could run through the regular set of upper body exercises like bench press, lat pulldowns, biceps curls, tricep extensions, etc.
Old 07-06-06, 09:53 AM

Bikes: Scott Mambo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you considered getting a turbo trainer? I severely sprained my ankle in martial arts class about 8 weeks ago so I know what you're going through. Whilst I can't run on it, I can cycle but I don't want to risk re-injury it if I come off the bike (or even put my foot down awkwardly), so I have found using the trainer the best way to keep up a basic level of cycling fitness.