Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Organs..............

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Organs..............

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Organs..............

Someone on another BB was talking about 'Green Burials' and I mentioned that I was an organ donor. That makes me wonder how many folks here are organ donors?

A co-worker has to go to dialysis three times a week and is in a race between a kidney donation ....and death. I don't have the stones to be a living donor but giving things up after I'm gone was an easy decision to make. Here in SC you can opt in when you renew your drivers license.

Any takers?
Old 07-03-06, 09:12 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been a registered donor for years. California is the same as South Carolina -- you fill out something and attach a sticker to your driver's license. Easy decision to make -- you want 'em, come get 'em. Just wait 'till I'm finished with 'em!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-03-06, 09:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Organs..........

DG...........Thanks. Never really thought about it much but it is probably something to reccomend as often as possible.

My impression is that in europe you have to opt-out, i.e. you are assumed to be an organ donor unless otherwise specified.
Old 07-03-06, 09:47 AM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I became a donor when I was healthy enough to after my transplant. My daughter became a donor all on her own. In the US your relatives can still over-rule your driver's license in most states, so make them aware of your wishes.

Give my regaurds to your friend, but this race is a slow race. I was on a waiting list for three years and had higher priority due to needing two organs. My list was a 10 month average at the time and a kidney only was a two year average. My blood type was a common one too. For a positive note I saw two people given transplants in less than three months time and one was within three weeks. It has been almost five years since my transplant and there is still some people on dialysis when I was there.

Unfortunately ,the waiting list grows longer each year!
Old 07-03-06, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Organs...........

edp773,

Glad to hear that things worked out as well as can be expected given the circumstances.

If you know of an informative organ donation site let me know and I will try using it in my signature and perhaps we can do some good over here.
Old 07-03-06, 10:24 AM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are two of the more popular sites:

https://www.organdonor.org/

https://www.organdonor.gov/

This site gives links to your regional organ bank:

https://www.organdonor.gov/links_orga...re_org.html#NC
Old 07-03-06, 10:39 AM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've signed up as an organ donor many years ago.... but to tell ya the truth, mine are gonna be so used up that they won't be much good to anyone else.
Old 07-03-06, 11:19 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
They can have anything of mine that's reusable. My kidneys will probably have so many kidney stones it might be like finding a pearl in an oyster shell......At least I've gotten over passing a stone every 3 mos.
Old 07-03-06, 11:22 AM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
.....At least I've gotten over passing a stone every 3 mos.
Ouch!
I've had 2 in 54 years and consider that far too frequent.
Old 07-03-06, 12:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heartily recommend the donor aspect to one and all. However, I suggest that you let your spouse or sweet one know that they are in for a bit of a trial when the time comes. My wife lost a 16mo battle with breast cancer a bit over two years ago. It is necessary, within hours, for the hospital medical director and the manager of the donor service to decide what organs are usable. They will call the durable power or spouse and put them through a rather difficult interview about personal habits, medical history and so on. This is a very tough scene for a survivor, they should be prepared for it. This call comes at the worst possible moment in a person's life and I can tell you, it ain't easy. After all the therapy Carol went through, they didn't even want her corneas.....took about 50min spread between three back-to-back phone calls to arrive at that decision.
Old 07-03-06, 12:15 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grampy™
I've signed up as an organ donor many years ago.... but to tell ya the truth, mine are gonna be so used up that they won't be much good to anyone else.
Ditto on all counts.
Old 07-03-06, 12:30 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bless you & your courage for having experienced the anguish of slow loss and still being willing to offer up your beloved's potential to the living

as I read your message, my heart sank, my eyes filled & I just stared out the window to count my own blessings as of this day

thank you for your courageous contribution to this discussion
Old 07-03-06, 01:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Organs..............

Thanks to one and all for the comments and experiences. In all probability as we get older there is less that is usable, but on the other hand, our bodies might still be usable as teaching tools. I would rather have an intern practice on me after I am dead than on a living person.

fsor,
Didn't mean for those comments to be insensitive.
Old 07-03-06, 02:10 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LastPlace
...That makes me wonder how many folks here are organ donors?...
I'm one. Additionally, both my wife and I have signed leaving our bodies to the medical school. After we're gone, we just won't care anymore! Whatever good we can do for others is fine with us.
Old 07-03-06, 02:38 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm an organ donor (designee) also. Even at 59+ I figure if someone has something I need (that is -if I pass on) they are welcome to it. BTW in KY you MUST register(sp?) as such or seek permission from spouse/guardian. Also- I have a living will.
Old 07-03-06, 03:13 PM
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ohio is the same as SC and CA, you can designate yourself as an organ donor when you get your driver's license. I've had it for probably 10-12 years. FSOR has some very good insight on the reality of this, that had to be tough. If I'm dead I certainly don't need the organs so if someone else can have their life prolonged that is great.
Old 07-03-06, 03:15 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We have the System here in the UK but is a bit neglected in the donor card stakes. Then there is the legal problem of taking organs quickly enough to be of use without the next of kins Knowledge, even though the card is carried.
Friend of mine died of a heart attack a few years ago and his organs were not suitable until an autopsy was done and then it was too late. Organ donor cards are a good idea- but there are pitfalls. There is talk of every persons organs on death being made available for donorship- unless you opt out. But that will bring another set of problems for the courts to sort out.

I don't carry a donor card- but all my family have agreed that on death- Any organ can be taken to save life or improve someone else's, but not for profit to anyone.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-04-06, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't mean to bring the list down but to inject a little "how it works in California". I would not have wanted to be doing pearly gates duty when sydney came through. Informing him that a text-messaging teenie did him in must have been memorable. But if you got him and my wife together I think that they would agree that he did it right. I hope that everyone that has a family pays as much attention to tune ups on the body as they do their driveline. My wife got her first mamogram at 51....she was already terminal. Been putting of a check-up have you? Let's live long enough to wear it out, or get run over by a jackass. sorry for the bummer
Old 07-04-06, 03:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The NAtional Kidney Foundation https://www.kidney.org/transplantation/ has info on its website about transplant and donation (both living donor and not). My 63 yr old mother's kidneys, liver, pancreas, corneas and tissue were all used when she died suddenly of a brain aneurism. My Dad (who is quite active in donation encouragement - gives talks and info and stuff) and I attended (as donor family participants) the 2006 transplant games this year sponsored by the kidney foundation (but includes all kinds of transplants - games on the lines of olympics are for organ recipients only).
Old 07-05-06, 09:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Organs...........

Keep the stories and ideas coming and perhaps together we can do some real good.