Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Oh Lawd, Save Me! I Just Rode Carbon!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-06, 05:10 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just test-rode a 2005 Trek Pilot 5.2, full carbon everything. On sale for $2200 or so. After that, everything else I rode was just...another bike. (Even the 7.6 I've drooled over)

I know you guys understand, and I know I'm doomed. Thank God I at least had the presence of mind to say, "I'll have to think about it. That's a lot of money." Then I collected myself, and slunk out of the LBS, to drown my sorrows next door at the Starbucks.

I'm sobbing now. I've never ever ridden anything quite so sweet.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-04-06, 05:14 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Full Carbon!! Once youv'e tried it there is no substitute!!!

Last edited by p8rider; 07-04-06 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-04-06, 05:16 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by p8rider
Full Carbon!! Once youv'e tried it there is not substitute!!!
I'm telling you, I was not riding a bike, I was floating on air! Add to that I was probably going 3-4 mph faster than usual with no extra effort.

It made me weep.

Old 07-04-06, 05:22 PM
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is amazing how sweet carbon is, once you ride a carbon frame you are hooked. I have a Specialized Roubaix and it is an awesome ride. When I go back to my Cannondale (which is still a nice ride) I can't wait to get back on carbon.

I hear it calling to you.
Old 07-04-06, 05:27 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Parable: A youthful Fred went into a big city LBS. He had dreamed for what seemed years of the sweet simplicity and integrity of Glenn Close in "The Natural". Her wholesome, gingham grace. But instead, he met up with a fully endowed Big City Woman...every nook, cranny and curve shaped to purring, voluptuous perfection. Her presense beneath him was smooth as silver tears. He rode in her velvety arms until, bewitched by her expensive, crafty touch, he had forgotten the innocent charms of his youthful dreams. He exchanged breeze ruffled gingham for hard, cold carbon. Fred spent the rest of his life slaving in a salt mine earning shekels to fulfill her endless demands.
Old 07-04-06, 05:32 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
To tell you the truth, most bikes ride just as well with a good carbon fork as those with all carbon frames.

My Look KG241 DOES ride smooth as silk though. But my aluminum Fuji Newest is hardly detectibly different.

My Colnago Super rode pretty crappy before I replaced the steel fork with a carbon model.

So think about it some. If those two bikes listed are your only bikes though, you really do need a REAL(tm) road bike. Try riding a 1500 first though.
Old 07-04-06, 05:38 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
To tell you the truth, most bikes ride just as well with a good carbon fork as those with all carbon frames.

My Look KG241 DOES ride smooth as silk though. But my aluminum Fuji Newest is hardly detectibly different.

My Colnago Super rode pretty crappy before I replaced the steel fork with a carbon model.

So think about it some. If those two bikes listed are your only bikes though, you really do need a REAL(tm) road bike. Try riding a 1500 first though.
I like the geometry of the Pilots a whole lot more than the 1000-1200-1500. The LBS didn't have the cheaper Pilots with carbon forks in my size in the store today, so I want to give those a shake as well. And I'm still going to try for a test on the Specialized Roubaix if they EVER get one in stock in my size! (Different LBS)

Old 07-04-06, 05:39 PM
Ain't Easy Being Cheesy

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Comp :)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Break out the credit card DG! You are caught, hook, line and carbon :-D

2006 Specialized Ruby Comp
www.bikenaked.net
Old 07-04-06, 05:41 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HILL SLUG
Break out the credit card DG! You are caught, hook, line and carbon :-D
Yeah, and right now, interest free financing with a year to pay without interest. Plus he'll toss in a $50 computer, two water bottles and cages, and pedals. Oh Lord it's going to be a long night.

Old 07-04-06, 05:48 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- i tried a full carbon bike but it felt 'dead' to me... i'm sure it was a nice bike (Orbea Onyx in the Crayola orange), but i really like my Ti and steel rides...

- i guess i'll have to try some different carbon framesets from other manufacturers?

:-)
Old 07-04-06, 05:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I'm telling you, I was not riding a bike, I was floating on air! Add to that I was probably going 3-4 mph faster than usual with no extra effort. It made me weep.
Wanna add an extra 5 mph with no extra effort? - by a recumbent!
Old 07-04-06, 05:51 PM
Team Sohoku

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you already bought it...am I right?
Old 07-04-06, 05:55 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I have two carbons and really enjoy them. Hey, you would not appreciate them as much if it was the only bike you've ever ridden though. I've said it before, you CAN buy a time and performance.....at least to a point.
Old 07-04-06, 06:02 PM
Ain't Easy Being Cheesy

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Comp :)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, and right now, interest free financing with a year to pay without interest. Plus he'll toss in a $50 computer, two water bottles and cages, and pedals. Oh Lord it's going to be a long night.
I am having visions of DG at the LBS tomorrow morning. I see DG waiting at the door with his nose pressed against the glass. He is fondly admiring his soon to be new ride. I see him looking at his watch and telling himself only one more hour until they open Then the store manager appears out of nowhere and opens the beloved LBS. DG is overjoyed! He stumbles into the store stuttering "that one" while frantically pointing at the shiny new gleaming carbon fiber chariot! DG happily rides off into the morning dew on his new carbon fiber chariot! I love a great story with a happy ending!

Although, the store manager does ask DG if he could “please clean his drool off the store window”

We want pictures of that new ride, oh and pictures of my vision

2006 Specialized Ruby Comp
www.bikenaked.net
Old 07-04-06, 06:04 PM
Experienced Lurker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my new full-carbon Pilot as an upgrade from a 5 year old TREK 1000. Holy smokes, what a difference; I feel like I can ride carbon all day long. In fact, I can usually make the first 65 miles with no discomfort at all. I dont even have to wear gloves anymore. On the old TREK 1000, I had to have gloves no matter how short the ride was and I was always getting uncomfortable after about 25 miles.

The only problem is my bringing performance up to an acceptable level to ride such a nice bike. Before I was a crappy rider with a crappy bike. Now I am a crappy rider with a super cool bike.
Old 07-04-06, 06:17 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turn out the liiiiiiiiiiiights, the party's ooooooooooooveeeeeeeeer........
Old 07-04-06, 06:18 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Parable: A youthful Fred went into a big city LBS. He had dreamed for what seemed years of the sweet simplicity and integrity of Glenn Close in "The Natural". Her wholesome, gingham grace. But instead, he met up with a fully endowed Big City Woman...every nook, cranny and curve shaped to purring, voluptuous perfection. Her presense beneath him was smooth as silver tears. He rode in her velvety arms until, bewitched by her expensive, crafty touch, he had forgotten the innocent charms of his youthful dreams. He exchanged breeze ruffled gingham for hard, cold carbon. Fred spent the rest of his life slaving in a salt mine earning shekels to fulfill her endless demands.
My life story before I got married, and I'm not talking about bikes....
Old 07-04-06, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

AAAHHHH, yes, but the time he spends in the saddle is sweeter than he ever dreamed possible!
Old 07-04-06, 07:18 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
AAAHHHH, yes, but the time he spends in the saddle is sweeter than he ever dreamed possible!
Says the devil on your left shoulder. The angel on your right shoulder says, "You know you're going to pay, and pay and pay." What to do? What to do? What to do?
Old 07-04-06, 07:37 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Methinks I'm going to have nightmares tonight... Thanks a lot, CC!

Old 07-04-06, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackberry
Says the devil on your left shoulder. The angel on your right shoulder says, "You know you're going to pay, and pay and pay." What to do? What to do? What to do?
You live but once. Pay and dance, dance, dance.
Old 07-04-06, 07:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DG, if you knew how much vicarious pleasure we all have at your excitement, and how much melodrama we get to be a part of as you go up and down with this bike search thing.....we should each buy a ticket and thereby help you pay for the bike!

Except, some of us still have car payments-- unlike SomeOne else. LOL.

Methinks I'm going to have nightmares tonight... Thanks a lot, CC!
You may toss and turn, but it won't exactly be a nightmare.

So cool, once you bring the Pilot home, we can all start deciding how to "upgrade" La Femme Carbone.
Old 07-04-06, 08:39 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Come to the dark side of carbon DG..... OooOOOooOOOOoh come to the dark side of carbooooon. OooOOOoOOoOooOOoh.....
Old 07-04-06, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Gary, you found the bike you want, GET IT BEFORE SOMENONE ELSE DOES! It seems like a lot of dinero, but as an investment in your health, it's reasonable. The more you like it, the more you will ride it. Even better for the health. A man has got to know when to jump. bk
Old 07-04-06, 09:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Her wholesome, gingham grace. He met up with a fully endowed Big City Woman...every nook, cranny and curve shaped to purring, voluptuous perfection. Her presense beneath him was smooth as silver tears. He rode in her velvety arms until, bewitched by her expensive, crafty touch, he had forgotten the innocent charms of his youthful dreams.
You ever write for Penthouse, CC???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.