Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Anyone want to ride to Burning Man ?

Old 07-04-06, 11:52 PM
Freewheelin'!

Bikes: A big one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone want to ride to Burning Man ?

So me and my girlfriend were kidding around and began thinking how possible it would be to ride our bikes to burning man either solo or double bike. I was wondering if anybody has anything to say about that ? we estimated that it would be about 1600 mile trip. and would take us over a month. i know it sounds ridiculous. but i think it's possible. call me dumb.
Old 07-05-06, 12:25 AM
Seńor Member

Location: Simi Valley, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way

Bikes: 1996 GT Force, 1999 Cannondale R1000, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! Maybe you can create a mutant vehicle and ride that to the Burning Man.
Old 07-05-06, 01:11 AM
Freewheelin'!

Bikes: A big one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah. i was actually thinking of making 2 identical stacked bikes and weld them next to each other with a gap in the middle for storage..but transporting it would be somewhat impossible..haha.
Old 07-05-06, 05:57 AM

Bikes: ANT Club Racer, 2004 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subsistbmx@hotm
we estimated that it would be about 1600 mile trip. and would take us over a month. i know it sounds ridiculous. but i think it's possible.
definitely possible. these women rode from Boston to Black Rock in eleven weeks.

https://www.intrepidheroines.net/
Old 07-05-06, 08:15 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Riding 1600 miles to Burning Man doesn't sound any more or less ridiculous than going to Burning Man in the first place....

If you are in decent shape, are experienced and/or have some type of support, I'm sure you can do it. The only thing is, if you're going to stay at Burning Man and haven't done it before, you need to be very well-prepared for it. The environment is difficult and you need to carry your own supplies in and out. You might have most of the gear anyway since you'll be touring over there. But you will also need at least 1.5 gallons of water per person per day, for example, you may be best off finding a 3rd person who is driving, and can carry your "Burn Gear" -- and maybe some extra tour support along the way.
Old 07-06-06, 06:51 AM

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
I met some people who were riding home from the "burning man" last year. I couldn't tell if the brain damage occurred before or during their visit. Since these two cyclists, had chosen "cruiser style" bikes with baskets as their method of cross country travel, my suggestion about using Camelbacks instead of gallon milk jugs for water bottles was "lost on them."

In any case, the fact that they were still alive, and moving, in mid-Missouri, just 12 days after leaving Nevada is proof enough that guardian angels or karma exists......
Old 07-06-06, 12:08 PM

Bikes: Many all steel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not to laugh...

...but man that's funny. I saw some rainbow kids going to Ocala Fla. the same way. Different spokes for different folks.
Old 07-06-06, 12:21 PM
KombuchaCHIC

Bikes: Santa Cruz Juliana, 2005 Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't live too far away from it, but I wouldn't want to ride there. It's in the Black Rock Desert! Ack!!! I used to want to go to Burning Man for the experience, but I think its lost its novelty appeal for me.