Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Camping trip near WI or MI

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 01:18 PM

Bikes: specialized hardrock pro 2003

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
I live in the northeast part of IL near chicago. Its 20min away by car. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew a good spot for camping (biking/fishing/sleeping in a tent) near a body of water (obviously ). Hopefully it wouldn't be too far, maybe within 1-4hrs driving. OR Can someone point me to a good camping website with a bunch of locations and possibly maps ? Sorry if this has been asked before or if this is in the wrong topic but I tried searching and wasn't sure where to put it.

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. Does anyone have a TDI operated vehicle? Just wondering because I hope to get a Jetta TDI when I turn 16 .
Old 07-08-06, 03:30 PM
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't have an URL, but try Warren Dunes State Park in SW Michigan. For that matter, most of West Michigan is nice for cycling.
Old 07-08-06, 04:22 PM

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2020 Specialized Creo Expert

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hmmm...camping near Chicago...my specialty...

Illinois: Starved Rock is about 90 miles from Chicago, Illinois State Beach Park, Zion (https://www.dnr.state.il.us)

Indiana: Indiana Dunes - the State Park is in Chesteron, the Lakeshore is in Porter, probably about 3-4 hours away.

Wisconsin - Kettle Moraine State Forest is beautiful! https://www.dnr.state.wi.us

Michigan: Isle Royale National Park is great if you like canoeing, plus you can't beat all the moose on the island. I think it's best in the fall, but that's my opinion. https://www.irnha.org
Also, Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.

Tennesse has the a lot of stuff too, but I haven't been out there.

Last edited by Nubie; 07-08-06 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-08-06, 06:06 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First of all, Nubie and donnamb are right on. My favorite weekend getaway spot also deserves mentioning. Theres a neat state park in Michigan called Algonac State Park where you can camp, hunt, fish, hike, and even shoot skeet and archery at a free range. Its right on the border to Canada, so you could also take a ferry to Canada if you wanted.

Last edited by Michigander; 07-08-06 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-08-06, 06:24 PM
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree about Isle Royale being best in the fall. Not so many flies then.

A side benefit if you go there is that there is great mountain biking in Copper Harbor, a popular departure point for the island.

No cycling allowed on the island, of course.
Old 07-09-06, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warren Dunes State Park is close to you. Last time I was there, they had bicycle maps with different routes like 30,70,100 all mapped out on a brochure. About 5-10 miles north of the Warren Dunes camping area is a small inland lake for fishing. Watch out for the bugs. I left my new $40 Coleman tent in the campground with food inside for the next day. I then drove my car about 100 miles away and cycled back. My camping neighbors stopped a family of racoons from eating my baked potato chips (salt) after they tore a big hole in the screen door. There is also a bicycle musuem nearby that is affiliated by a club that puts on an annual ride called the Apple Cider Century in the fall. If you want to do a lot of cycling, contact the lmb.org and purchase the Shoreline West bicycle map for about $10. You can cycle up to Mackinaw. There are many, many state and private campgrounds and further north, national forest campgrounds.
Old 07-09-06, 04:17 AM

Bikes: Performance mountain bike, Giant Cypress LX hybrid, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is about 4 hours away, but consider the 400 state trail in Wisconsin - camping, bicycling, fishing in lakes and the Baraboo river, canoe rentals on the Baraboo river also.
https://www.rivervalleynewspapers.com...0wisconsin.php
Old 07-09-06, 10:36 AM
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd also go with Kettle Moraine. Good trails and decent camping in the area, plus it's not far from you.