Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Northern Africa?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Northern Africa?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 08:11 PM
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Northern Africa?

I thought it would like to tour the land of all of those great old movies and tour countries like Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. Has anyone done this? How safe is it? Is light touring doable? Will I find enough sanitary hotels and restaurants? Pros / Cons of tour this area?
Old 07-08-06, 09:12 PM

Bikes: Bike Friday (NWT), Rocky Mountain Blizzard 30.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is not exactly north Africa but the link below might give you some ideas and insight for cycling in Africa.. www.tourdafrique.com
Old 07-08-06, 10:45 PM

Bikes: Two Robin Mather custom built tourers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not bike toured in Morocco yet, but I have been there on treks a couple times. I think you will be very safe. In the smaller towns you may encounter a few kids throwing rocks or trying to sell you dates in the Draa Valley, that would be about the worst you'd have to deal with. It is an absolutely beautiful country and even in the rural areas there are lots of little villages tucked away with shops that will have the basics. I would bring a tent as I'm not sure you'll always find a hotel but you should not have a problem finding food/water, I wouldn't have thought.