Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Leg problem. Opinions?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Leg problem. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 10:07 PM
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
Leg problem. Opinions?

If im sleeping and I wake up in the middle of the night, sometimes if I make a sudden move with one of my calves, one side unconsciencely contracts as if Im pushing my foot down. It lasts for about 10 seconds, but it sometimes hurts, and i have to pull my leg in so it wont put too much stress on my tendons. What if the tendons snapped or something I dont know. I posted something like this a while ago but I cant find it. What could possibly cause such discomfort? This doesn't happen ever other night. It's usually like every 2-6 months. Sometimes i can feel it comming, and I can sort of stop it.
Old 07-08-06, 10:15 PM
Flowbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eh, sounds like a cramp? Hydrate before bed, my guess is that this occurs after a hard ride, or one where you expend a lot of energy/perspiration.
Old 07-08-06, 10:29 PM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This used to happend to me religiously when I started riding... it got so bad that I'd wake up and my right calf would contract so badly that I couldn't get it to stop... I'd have to run it under warm water in the tub to relax the muscle (after I limped in agony to the bathroom).. I acutally was able to get it to stop by eating bananas... I think it must have had to do with having all the right electrolytes other than potassium (that's all that I could figure out)...

If it cramps up so badly that you can't get it to release, then remember that warm (a little on the hot side rather than 'luke' warm) will help to relax it quickly.... also stretch the leg that it's affecting a lot to help prevent it.
Old 07-08-06, 10:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stretch before you go to bed. And make sure your diet has plenty of calcium in it.
Old 07-09-06, 06:30 AM
Fattest Thin Man

Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Do you take cholesterol medication? That has been known to cause cramping in athletic people as well as the previously mentioned ideas.

Az
Old 07-09-06, 07:44 AM
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
I drink smart water with electrolytes almost every other day back then but I didn't eat alot of bananas though. I have begun eating bananas for my morning smoothie and havent had the the contraction hm.
Cholesterol meds lol. No I dont take them, Im 16
Old 07-09-06, 03:47 PM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's a muscle cramp. Try stretching. This article may help you.

https://www.ultracycling.com/training/cramping.html
Old 07-10-06, 11:01 AM
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yup, just a cramp. No big deal. You won't pop a tendon or anything, unless you decide to go take a jog as soon as you get the cramp.

You are either deficient in water or electrolytes or both which includes, sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. The sodium is usually in overabundance in our diets. But the rest can be taken as a supplement. Bananas, kiwis, and potatoes are chock full of potassium. As a 16 yo, you need to get in three glasses of milk a day or take a supplement.
Old 07-10-06, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although some sports drinks have potassium, they are nothing compared to bananas. Bananas contain about 400mg potassium and the sports drinks have about 30mg per 8 oz, if any. Additionally, the potassium in bananas is complexed with calcium so it takes much longer to absorb, making it great for recovery.
Old 07-10-06, 11:44 AM
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i vote for bananas as well. i eat at least a couple a day. drink water throughout the day as well. it's a good idea to bring a water bottle everywhere you go and just sip from it. also, make sure you drink and eat well after a ride. that's a good time for a gatorade or other sports drink\mix.