Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Add this to the list of weird sightings.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 10:27 AM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As I was rolling up to one of the trickier intersections on my commute this morning, and saw a strange object in the road. From a distance it looked like a piece of rubber that had peeled off from a truck tire. As I got closer I realized it was definitely not what I thought, but instead a large double ended *****. I'm sure there's an interesting story behind how this ended up in the road but I'm not sure I want to hear it.
Old 07-10-06, 10:37 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well....
did you pick it up?
Old 07-10-06, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I want to make yesterday's sighting fit this thread during our club ride. Seen couple strange things on a bike, the past couple years. Once, I swear from the other side of the road. A younger woman cyclists- sure the heck looked to me. She had some kind of white bandage on one arm. TO me, I swear, it looked like a cast for a broken arm. THis was several years ago in California.Could be wrong, looked that way.
But, yesterday's sighting. More bizarre to me. Some cyclist in kit, passed us. Swear to god, looked like he was smoking a cigarette while riding. New one to me.
Old 07-10-06, 10:47 AM
Team Sohoku

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
As I was rolling up to one of the trickier intersections on my commute this morning, and saw a strange object in the road. From a distance it looked like a piece of rubber that had peeled off from a truck tire. As I got closer I realized it was definitely not what I thought, but instead a large double ended *****. I'm sure there's an interesting story behind how this ended up in the road but I'm not sure I want to hear it.
Pics?
Old 07-10-06, 10:49 AM
A poor cyclist

Bikes: Several. All Cheap (inexpensive). All very non-stock.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
Maybe you should check out the new trade forum. (wink)
Old 07-10-06, 10:56 AM
Easily distracted...

Bikes: Surley Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
But, yesterday's sighting. More bizarre to me. Some cyclist in kit, passed us. Swear to god, looked like he was smoking a cigarette while riding. New one to me.
I used to ride on MS 150 benefit rides with a guy who smoked a big Churchill cigar. If you were behind him, you could smell it for half a mile before you saw him.
Old 07-10-06, 11:32 AM
Speed Demon *roll eyes*

Bikes: 1998 specialized s-works mtn bike / 2005 Kona Jake the Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oddest sightings to me were the young couple making out, very literally, in a field full of flowers as I cruised by in the heavilly used single track mtn bike trail.....

that, and a rabid groundhog.... kinda attacked me, but missed.
Old 07-10-06, 11:43 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Empire XL

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I smoke while ridding all the time. I do have to slow down between 16 to 18 mph to keep it from going out.
Old 07-10-06, 11:48 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
So which one of you dropped your toy while you were lighting a cigarette?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-10-06, 12:00 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I haven't seen it in kit, but in my area, it seems like I am just as likely to see someone on a bicycle smoking as not...

I often see people on full suspension Wally World bikes with the seat all the way down, knees hitting their chest as they pedal, puffing on a cigarette... Of course, I guess this does account for the other strangeness I see... people pushing their fully suspended mountain bikes up a paved sidewalk any time the grade exceeds 1%

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-10-06, 12:21 PM

marqueemoon. Should have mentioned it in my earlier thread. When riding with a group on the Oceanside bike trail. looked down while pedaling slowly. A unrolled condom in the middle of the pathway. Guess, not a surprise since lots of homeless live in the area. Camp out near the river. But, in the middle of the path. Wonder how that effects bike traction. Unrolled, I guess it would likely be used. Bright red so easily seen THis was many many years ago.almost forgot about it.
Old 07-10-06, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A unrolled condom in the middle of the pathway. <snip> Wonder how that affects bike traction.
It does give a whole new meaning to "Keep the rubber side down"....<snicker>
Old 07-10-06, 12:46 PM
No-Pants Island

Bikes: 2007 Trek Pilot 2.1 WSD & 2001 Specialized Crossroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend worked in a non-touristy non-hipster part of the Mission (SF) for a while. Lots of hookers and johns doing trade. Sidewalks littered with junk; whenever you think you're stepping on a yellow leaf, it's probably a used condom.

There are volunteer groups who pass out wrapped condoms, lubes, AIDS info and Hep-C info for free for these guys. This is acutually a type of litter I'm glad to see. Happy that they're using 'em.
Old 07-10-06, 12:50 PM
The Other White Meat

Bikes: Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTcommuter
I used to ride on MS 150 benefit rides with a guy who smoked a big Churchill cigar. If you were behind him, you could smell it for half a mile before you saw him.
Helps to keep the bugs away. I only smoke 'em at picnics and such outdoor events where people can stay away from me if they wish.
Old 07-10-06, 12:53 PM
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Life isn't that interesting here. Lake Wobegon, where all the students are above average...and the only contraband found along the road is a spent 12 pack of Pig's Eye (beer don't cha know).
Old 07-10-06, 02:14 PM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dgregory57
I haven't seen it in kit, but in my area, it seems like I am just as likely to see someone on a bicycle smoking as not...

I often see people on full suspension Wally World bikes with the seat all the way down, knees hitting their chest as they pedal, puffing on a cigarette... Of course, I guess this does account for the other strangeness I see... people pushing their fully suspended mountain bikes up a paved sidewalk any time the grade exceeds 1%
I see commuters in all kinds of weather on bikes that don't fit. and wonder if they are DWI bikers. The suspect once almost always are smoking. It is true that they have to keep their chins up to keep from knocking themselves unconscious with their knees.
Old 07-10-06, 10:18 PM
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nope, medical research proof smoking while riding makes you a stronger sprinter.

Old 07-11-06, 12:49 AM

Shake/bake. After say ten years of smoking, maybe you can sprint but how about steep climbs. Really bad climbs my lungs are gasping for more air.
Old 07-11-06, 01:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't say I've seen anything quite as odd as a double ended *****, but I have seen something I can't explain. A late 40's - early 50's Asian man riding a hybrid bike with one front and two rear baskets filled with groceries wearing a helmet... A full face covering, racing style motorcycle helmet (visor down). Now if he was going downhill at 80 mph, I could understand it. However, he's cruising along at 8-10 mph on a bicycle path.

I see the same guy every week at around the same time on the path.
Old 07-11-06, 01:13 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jkreuzig
A full face covering, racing style motorcycle helmet (visor down). Now if he was going downhill at 80 mph, I could understand it. However, he's cruising along at 8-10 mph on a bicycle path.
I haven't read the helmet thread in the 'advocacy' folder here, but I have participated in enough helmet discussions to at least get to the point that no matter what you think of bike helmets, motorcycle helmets are something you can't really argue with (until you get a quorom of motorcyclists in the room, of course).

But I'm betting your guy probably just had one sitting around and used it rather than buy a bike helmet. Still, you never know, maybe he's a neurosurgeon and values his melon.
Old 07-11-06, 01:24 AM
Lost in Los Angeles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jkreuzig
A late 40's - early 50's Asian man riding a hybrid bike with one front and two rear baskets filled with groceries wearing a helmet... A full face covering, racing style motorcycle helmet (visor down).
How could you tell his age and ethnicity if he had his whole head and face covered up?
Old 07-11-06, 03:58 AM
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once, I swear from the other side of the road. A younger woman cyclists- sure the heck looked to me. She had some kind of white bandage on one arm. TO me, I swear, it looked like a cast for a broken arm. THis was several years ago in California.Could be wrong, looked that way.
Not all that strange. Probably not broken, probably a leisurely ride.
I did meet a bike messenger with a proper cast on his hand from elbow to wrist once. When I asked if it was broken he said "Yea." "And you work 8 hours like that?" "Yea." Tough guys, those messengers.
Old 07-11-06, 07:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once saw a guy riding a little pink Magna girl's bike (a very small bike, the kind with white knobby tires) on the lake shore path. He had a fishing pole with him. Even though he was small guy, he still was pretty big for the bike.
Old 07-11-06, 07:57 AM
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grease folder
I once saw a guy riding a little pink Magna girl's bike (a very small bike, the kind with white knobby tires) on the lake shore path. He had a fishing pole with him. Even though he was small guy, he still was pretty big for the bike.
I did that once. Bought a bike for my youngest kid for his birthday. We were living in Yokohama and didn't own a car. I rode the too small bike home through the heart of some busy shopping districts. Must have been a sight. Some crazy old bearded gaijin on a little kids bike.
Old 07-11-06, 09:05 AM
Mostly Harmless

Location: Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday, I say a kid riding an old full-fendered Schwin with a normal wheel up front and a plastic, 4-spoke, bmx wheel with no tire on the rear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.