Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cabin Fever.....Should I Buy A Trainer?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 12:13 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

Today is day 11 after shoulder surgery. I'm going a little buggy wondering when I can get back on my bike. I don't think I'll be riding out there in the real world before August.

So, I'm wondering about getting a trainer and setting it up. I had a Schwinn AirDyne for years, but sold it some years back. I would ride it for 30 -45 minutes during the winter...sometimes...but that was about it.

Does anyone use a trainer or have any recommendations?
Old 07-10-06, 09:19 PM

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll Single, Specialized Sequoia, Specialized XC A1, Specialized Expedition, Electra Townie 21

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had shoulder surgery about 19 months ago. Doc wouldn't let me ride for several months. Don't think I could have if he had given me the green light earlier. I'm a roadie and there was no way I could put any pressure on my shoulder. I still can't stay down on dropped bars very long or it bothers me.
I got a trainer so I could be ready when I was able to get out. But I never used it very much. I just can't bring myself to use it for very long. It's a CycleOps magnetic type. It works well and isn't too noisy, but to me it's just too boring.
Old 07-10-06, 09:43 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah, they can be boring--but they will help keep you in shape. Good to have a stack of videos, a sporting event or a tv show you wanna watch.

Hang in there! And good luck.
Old 07-11-06, 05:29 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
If I can do a trainer inside, anyone can!

What helps me is traiing videos/cd's. I use Spinervals, but there are others such as Carmichael's.

Please see my Indoor Training Support Group - it has a lot of great suggestions in the "file" section about keeping up your training.

https://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...yguid=11846886
Old 07-11-06, 06:03 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
See if the doc'll let you ride one of these: Elbows are more or less at your side and there's no strain. Much better than a trainer.

Old 07-11-06, 06:38 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Mono-I use a OneUp trainer that's a little pricey but bomb proof. Plus it's really simple to set up and no maintenance to it. Service is terrific from the company as well.

That being said I find I'd much rather embrace the colder weather and ride outside as opposed to sitting inside on a trainer......Fortunately we generally have a number of decent riding days even in the winter in Piedmont sections of NC.

Good luck with the recovery. It sounds like cabin fever is setting in.
Old 07-11-06, 06:39 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Swamper
I had shoulder surgery about 19 months ago. Doc wouldn't let me ride for several months. Don't think I could have if he had given me the green light earlier. I'm a roadie and there was no way I could put any pressure on my shoulder. I still can't stay down on dropped bars very long or it bothers me.
I got a trainer so I could be ready when I was able to get out. But I never used it very much. I just can't bring myself to use it for very long. It's a CycleOps magnetic type. It works well and isn't too noisy, but to me it's just too boring.
Swamper's got it right, IMHO. If you CAN ride, get a trainer. I like the Cyclops Fluid 2 and the Kinetic Road Machine. But the biggest question really is the potential for riding a road bike to affect the healing of your shoulder injury. Maybe consult the doc? We don't have a lot of years to overcome complications of injuries. My choice would be to preserve my future cycling at the expense of cabin fever.

Ken
Old 07-11-06, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,021 Times in 4,468 Posts
After my shoulder surgery I tried the trainer but couldn't stay with it and gained a bunch of weight. The one thing I did do was hike the hills a little. Not as fun as a bike, but a good workout for the heart and legs, plus it's outside.
Old 07-11-06, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
First, let me say that I HATE trainers. There is little in life more agonizing to me than sitting on a bike and going nowhere. With that said, I say "Yes" buy a trainer. Even if you can only do 20 minutes at a shot, it's better than having all of your fitness fade away. In terms of which trainer, my only recommendation is to get the least expensive one you can find... unless you expect to spend a great deal of time on it over the next few years. I've worn out three trainers (about one each winter) and still have spent less replacing them than my neighbor did on his high tech, expensive one. Good luck with the continued recovery.
Old 07-11-06, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ordinarily, trainers CAUSE cabin fever...30 minutes on the thing, and I'm ready to run outside naked and screaming. I have one but use it only a few times a year, on the rare instances when the temps stay below 25 or so around here.
In your case, though, it might be a good idea and help you maintain fitness. Mine is the cheapest possible magnetic-resistance model from Performance, cost about $100 four or five years ago, and it's fine for what I use it for. I usually keep the resistance at max and shift through the gears to vary the feel.
Old 07-11-06, 09:45 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho

Does anyone use a trainer or have any recommendations?
Rather than buying a trainer, perhaps get a gym membership, where you could ride a variety of trainers, and use treadmills, stair climbers, etc., watch TV, and even gaze occasionally (and with great care not to get caught) at good lookin' women working out as well? That last part helps with the boredom factor.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-11-06, 09:54 AM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A trainer will help keep your fitness up even if you only ride it 30 minutes several days a week. I purchased an inexpensive Ascent from Performance to see if I would like using one.

As I suggested earlier, if you get cabin fever, see if you can find someone to set the trainer up outside. That is a nice change of pace and one of the few times when you will appreciate the wind.
Old 07-11-06, 10:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a cheap Ascent trainer from Performance, just for weeks like this week. wife is out of town, can't go out riding in the morning (little daughter still sleeping) So I get up, get on the trainer, watch ToF on Tivo, play cadence/heart rate/speed games to pass the time.
Old 07-11-06, 11:44 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Rather than buying a trainer, perhaps get a gym membership, where you could ride a variety of trainers, and use treadmills, stair climbers, etc., watch TV, and even gaze occasionally (and with great care not to get caught) at good lookin' women working out as well? That last part helps with the boredom factor.
Yo. Bros. we must be related- because although I prefer to get out on the bike- The Gym runs it a distant second place. Best of all though is if you go regularly enough- you do build up a relationship with the others at the gym and you realise that you are not as large as you think you are, and you are fitter than others of your age.

The big advantage to me is that I can exercise parts of my body that I don't normally do on a bike. Only thing is choose your times very carefully- I thought I had gone on pregnant mums night once- until I found out it was the local weight watchers club. 300lbs crammed into lycra and only 5ft tall is not the best site to give you enthusiasm.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-11-06, 03:07 PM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Fractured my shoulder May 22, doctor said no riding until August 22, I went for an 11 mile ride today, about 6 miles into it I knew I had made a mistake. I could feel every bump radiate up my arm to my shoulder. Whole arm aches now, I will ride the trainer from now until August 22nd.
Old 07-12-06, 06:30 AM

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Since you only have about a month to wait until you can ride again, try finding a gym that has a free trial membership period for new members. That way you will not have to invest heavily into a new membership that you may not want to use in the future. Just read the fine print.