Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Help with seat selection . . .

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-06, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am new here - just joined the forum today because I need some advice.

3 years ago I was involved in a motorcycle accident. Everything from my waist down was crushed. Today I am semi-mobile and in desperate need of exercise and am considering bicycling. The problem is that, as the result of an open-book fracture of the pelvis, where the bottom of the pelvis poked a sizeable hole in my crotch, it is all held together today with a plate that causes escruciating pain if I place any weight on it. I am looking for a seat that would bear weight on the sit bones rather than the crotch.

Twenty years ago while stationed in Germany, I used to race with a local German club, and I recall seeing a suspension type of seat. Not sure then why the German cyclist was using it, but now I think I know! It had no seat horn - rather it had a metal frame with straps attached to either side which seemed to bear the cyclist's weight. Has anyone here ever seen such a seat? Can you suggest where I might find one - or an alternative?

Thanks in advance - I sincerely appreciate any help you can provide. I am really hankerin' to get back in the ______________ (??)

Bob Hendry
Southern Maryland
Old 07-11-06, 04:53 PM
Perpetually lost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bob
Welcome to the group. Remember, as a newbie you have to buy pie for all of us.

That said, I have seen the sling type saddle you mention, but haven't seen one for sale--you might surf ebay. Also you might take a look at https://www.spiderflex.com/ , https://www.bycycleinc.com/ , their saddles support the sit bones individually. Also look at https://www.realseat.com/ , https://www.moonsaddle.com/ . If you're handy: https://jimlangley.net/wrench/faq.html#c3 .

Many women specific saddles are designed to place more weight on the back part rather than the front as well (if you choose a women's specific, it's ok to tell us--we're all grown up here and won't make fun of you).

I'd also suggest looking into a recumbent with a sling type seat. With some recline, they tend to support the rider's weight by spreading the load up the back--very comfortable.

Again, welcome!
Old 07-11-06, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I believe you're describing a sling bicycle seat. These were sold as Bummer seats in the 70s. Jim Langley discusses them briefly on this web site: https://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/faq.html You'll need to scroll down about half way to get to the correct section of the page.

OOPPs! Old99, you beat me to it by a few seconds... with better information. That's what I love about this fourm... people know the strangest stuff!
Old 07-11-06, 07:21 PM

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A properly adjusted saddle that is firm should keep pressure off of your crotch area. The softer the saddle the more it will bunch up in the wrong place.

Saddle preference can vary among different people. I am looking at saddles from a LBS that gives a 30 day satisfaction garauntee.

Good luck getting back into riding. I started back riding regularly in May 2005 after 7 leg amputations. The process and adaption was slow, but I loved it so much I rode 700 miles before the end of the tear.
Old 07-11-06, 07:51 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MajBob
............................... Has anyone here ever seen such a seat? Can you suggest where I might find one - or an alternative?
Here's another version. Haven't used it so I can't say how well it works.

Easy Seat

Dogbait
Old 07-11-06, 08:05 PM
Anything on Wheels

Bikes: One Lemond, two Treks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might give this seat a look...

https://spongywonder.com/

I tried it and found that it put too much weight on my shoulders so I sent it back. Maybe it'll work for you.

DD
Old 07-11-06, 09:01 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps a recumbent will be worth a look. Basic info and links here here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle

I don't usually ride one, but I have friends who do. Of course, there's more info on the Recumbent section of Bike Forums. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-12-06, 03:05 PM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow MajBob That must have been a terrible injury! I'd recommend a recumbent, preferable a LWB bent. Riding one of these is like pedalling a lawn chair. For your pelvic injury and plate I'd bet any bent seat would be much better than any upright one. But knowing what your injury was, I'd bet a long wheelbase one with a low bottom bracket would be best.
I ride a bent because of a back injury, surgery and a stroke. Whenever I ride I am totally pain free. It works so well I did 10 miles today in 101.9 degree weather with a gusty 30mph wind in the face. The hills were brutal so shelved the usual 30 miler.
Some upright bikers tend to look down on bents, but they are faster on the level and downhills, although slower on uphill stretches so it all evens out. Bents tend to yo-yo along with the crowd of uprights on a ride, passing on the flats and downhills, and being passed on the uphills. They tend to have a bit wider range of gears, particularly lower gears to make up for their lesser hill climbing ability.
Even though some upright riders say they are slow and tend to bad mouth them , etc. they are terrified of them in races! I just got informed an hour ago that I cannot ride my bent in our ND Prairie Rose state games because "someone might complain that I have an advantage!" Sure - the young carbon fiber lycra clad racing crowd finds an old 63 year old half crippled guy on a 40 pound bent a threat???
So that tells you that no matter what you hear, bent's performance is more or less equal to uprights. I think being a bit odd looking might turn off some people, but so be it! A bike is a bike is a bike. We all have fun and enjoy whatever we ride.
They are not for everybody (what bike is?) but in your situation you really should try a good LWB bent. I think you'd be able to ride pain free and love every minute of it! If you were closer I'd give you mine for a few days to wring it out, although when I do that with others, I almost have to take the shotgun over to get it back! Ha!
Good luck finding something to ride pain free!
Old 07-12-06, 03:47 PM
Perpetually lost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
That's what I love about this fourm... people know the strangest stuff!
Yeah, scary, huh? My kind of people

I totally agree with bobkat about a recumbent; one more possibility would be a recumbent trike. The up side is that on a trike you don't have to be concerned about balance, you can put all your effort into pedaling. I never thought that I'd be interested in one but I'm thinking...

The down side is that they tend to be expensive although they ocassionally pop up on Craigslist and ebay at more reasonable prices. Well maybe not reasonable, but less expensive than new.

Again, if one is handy and has the tools or access to them, there are some good trike plans online (https://www.ihpva.org/com/PracticalInnovations/). Some scrounging, some ingenuity and some money, and you could come up with a pretty decent ride.
Old 07-12-06, 09:13 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Bob, I strongly suggest a recumbent bike or trike. Ask Diane/SBHikes, one of the Advocacy & Safety regulars, about hers.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-15-06, 10:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your kind responses and advice. I am busily searching for data regarding bent trikes (?? am I using the terminology correctly? 'recum-BENT trike')) Or is the expression 'bent' reserved for two-wheelers exclusively??

Yesterday my Doc determined that I have many of the symptoms of congestive heart failure, and advised me to hold-off on any sort of exercise program until I've been thoroughly checked by the cardiology guys. So I have some time to think about the next step.

Anyway, sincere regards and thanks to the many of you who gave such good advice. Cheers!

Bob Hendry
Southern Maryland
Old 07-15-06, 04:10 PM
Perpetually lost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bob, your doctor is being understandably cautious by telling you to hold off on the exercise program. But I know that speaking for this group of lovable lugs (and a couple of unlovable ones too) that we are pulling for you and hope for the best.

If you're interested in reading about some trikes I'd suggest starting with these 2:
https://www.recumbents.com/home.asp
https://home.mindspring.com/~kb7mxu/

Google 'recumbent trikes' and you should get innundated with hits.

Take care and keep us informed.

John in Oregon
Old 07-21-06, 05:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.

I appreciate your encouragement.

Cheers!
Bob Hendry
Southern Maryland
Old 07-23-06, 12:22 AM
Bycycle Inc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please check our our saddle at https://www.bycycleinc.com I believe that it may work for you.
Old 07-23-06, 12:25 AM
Bycycle Inc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am confused about how this forum software is working but am trying to respond to request for saddle that supports rider on sit bones. We make a saddle that does that and you can find out more about it at https://www.bycycleinc.com
Old 07-23-06, 10:38 AM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've ordered the esaddle for my MTB. I'm riding 184 miles of C&O canal in two days this September. I'll try the saddle out first in a 40 - 60 mile ride and post my results. If it's noticibly better than my current Specialized saddle it will be worth the $.
Old 07-23-06, 04:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi robtown,

Can you provide a link to the ESaddle? Thanks

Bob Hendry
Southern Maryland
Old 07-23-06, 04:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar to . . . ?

This looks similar to the Easy Seat. At least the concept is similar.

This may well be exactly what I need - IF I don't switch over to a recumbent Trike . . .

Thanks!
Old 08-02-06, 07:30 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sorrry - It's a bi-saddle

Originally Posted by MajBob
Hi robtown,

Can you provide a link to the ESaddle? Thanks

Bob Hendry
Southern Maryland
https://www.bycycleinc.com/index.html

I just received the saddle. It's small, firm, and funky looking. I'll be trying it out over the next week or so.

BTW - I just ordered the classic Brooks B-17 for my road bike
Old 08-02-06, 07:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MajBob.....you are our kind of guy. Stay with us throughout your future cycling experiences. Seems obvious, but didn't see it mentioned above.......if you haven't yet, why don't you check in at the Recumbent forum that's part of Bike Forums. Just click back to Bike Forums and check the menu. 'Bents are great on rollers because you keep your momentum from the downs and it carries you over the ups. Climbing takes patience, but Long Wheel Bases are stable and feel like you're driving a locomotive ... they give new meaning to the word "cruise".
Old 08-03-06, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recumbent Forum

Thanks for the invitation, CrossChain. I will indeed check it out.

I've been outta the loop for a few days. When I got back from Boy scout summer camp, my doc said I was showing symptoms of congestive heart failure (shortness of breath & intermittent chest pain), and sent me to a cardiologist. She did an echo cardiogram and said the heart looks healthy and suspected coronary artery disease, and sent me to Bethesda for a cardiac catheterization. That showed a blockage, and they inserted a stent in the coronary artery. They kept me overnight for observationm (saw President Bush there on Tuesday morning!), She cleared me for whatever physical activity I care to pursue starting next week. So I am back in the search for a recumbent trike.

The advice and suggestions offered here are very helpful and appreciated. Thanks to all of you - this is indeed a very sincere and kind group. I'm glad I stumbled in here.

Cheers for now!