Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding With A Bike Lock

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding With A Bike Lock

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding With A Bike Lock

I was wondering how many of you ride with a lock and which types of locks. I live in an college town area, and so a decent amount of bikes do get stolen. Should I invest in both a cable lock (for trips to the grocery store) and a U-lock for all other times. How is it riding with a semi-bulky U-lock.

I am mostly talking about road bikes, but posted in the wrong forum

Last edited by brsboarder; 07-13-06 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-13-06, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I have a cable lock I keep in my trunk bag.
Old 07-13-06, 02:32 PM
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a variety of locks depending on the bike and needs that day. In town it's a Krypto NY3k lock and a large cable to go with it. Attached to the frame the weight is pretty centralized. The cable coils and just flips on the handlebars.

Next up is a simple keyed cable. Handy, but rarely used. Lastly is the equivalent of a luggage lock. It's for a quick dash when my bike is in site and I need to get some juice from a gas station or such. Better than nothing, but NOT secure.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 07-13-06, 02:37 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I keep a U-lock on the bike rack at work and carry a lighter cable lock in my bag for errands.
Old 07-13-06, 09:15 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.2FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Kryptonite U-lock that I use most of the time. If I'm on a commute, it goes in my bag; otherwise, the bag is pointless so I put it on a frame-mount bracket. It's not very practical as it's forced off center by my bottle and I have to move it well forward so the crank doesn't hit it. For quick stops, I have a cable lock...not the greatest but beats the hell out of carrying the U-lock.
Old 07-13-06, 11:22 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
In theory, you could buy five or six locks, and match the lock to the neighborhood you park in. But, simplify your life with two locks. A Kryptonite New York u-lock or OnGuard Brute u-lock around the rear wheel. A Kryptonite Evolution mini u-lock or OnGuard Bulldog TC mini u-lock around the front wheel.

An easy way to carry even the heaviest locks is with a rear rack and attached saddlebag. You don't notice the locks at all when they are attached to the rear rack, or stowed in the rear saddlebag. And, in a college town, the saddlebag will be useful. Depending on your priorities, you could carry books, or you could carry a 12 pack of beer.
Old 07-14-06, 12:14 AM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
If I take my bike anywhere that will require me to lock it (which is rare) I carry my Onguard Beast bandolero style.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-14-06, 03:51 PM

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2020 Specialized Creo Expert

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey alanbikehouston,

What the difference betwen the Bulldog TC and the regular Mini Bulldog with the plastic cover removed from the crossbar? Does it have a better/different locking mechanism? I've looked all over for any kind of info on the TC, but there isn't much. On Guard doesn't even have the TC on its website. Thanks!
Old 07-14-06, 04:39 PM
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
You really need a U-lock around a college campus. A good one.

If you are always going to be locking up in a particular location, you can just leave the lock there, locked to a post, and use it whenever you come there with your bike.

If you want to carry a U-lock with you - the possibilities are endless! Frame mount, backpack, panniers, bungeed to a rack... It's not really that heavy or bulky. And I actually find it easier and faster to use than cable.
Old 07-14-06, 09:35 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Nubie
Hey alanbikehouston,

What the difference betwen the Bulldog TC and the regular Mini Bulldog with the plastic cover removed from the crossbar? Does it have a better/different locking mechanism? I've looked all over for any kind of info on the TC, but there isn't much. On Guard doesn't even have the TC on its website. Thanks!
I've never seen a regular Bulldog after the plastic cover was removed from the crossbar. But, I do know that the plastic cover is big and bulky. The TC version has a very thin coating on the crossbar, reducing the bulk, and reducing the weight. It uses the same locking mechanism/key design as the top-of-the-line OnGuard locks, and uses dual locking bolts, locking both feet of the shackle.

Because it is so compact, I sometimes have to hunt a bit to find a pole it will fit around. But, after it is locked around the rear wheel and a steel pole, there is not enough empty space for a crook to insert effective leverage tools. The dual bolt design means a crook has to cut both legs of the shackle to open the lock.

Overall, the TC appears to be the toughest of the available mini u-locks, much tougher than the single bolt Kryptonite Evolution mini, which requires a crook to only cut one leg to open the lock. All and all, the TC is probably the best lock on the market for someone who wants to carry around a two pound mini lock, instead of a four pound or five pound "super lock".

One other improvement: the key mechanism on the 2006 model TC seems improved from the 2004 OnGuard locks that I have. The internal plates are designed to rotate if someone attempts to pick the lock. The 2004 version had plates so loose, you could misalign them while removing the key. Then, you had to realign them, plate by plate, before the lock would open. On the 2006 version, the rotating plates are fitted tightly together, and can't be rotated by accident.
Old 07-14-06, 10:40 PM

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2020 Specialized Creo Expert

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The picture of the Bulldog Mini with the plastic cover removed is in this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...t=mini+onguard

The plastic cover comes right off with a hammer and screwdriver. A little eletrical tape, and voila!
Old 07-16-06, 10:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the ideal way to lock up a bike with a u-lock? The diagram that came with my lock recomended locking it around the front rim, but my bike has a quick release (which would leave me with a stolen unicycle) I usually try to lock it by the frame.

When it comes to using a bike rack, however, I may or may not be able to lock it up so conveniently. Should I be at all concerned about stolen wheels/seats?
Old 07-16-06, 11:10 AM

Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy, Motobecane Le Champion Titanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud_311
This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the ideal way to lock up a bike with a u-lock? The diagram that came with my lock recomended locking it around the front rim, but my bike has a quick release (which would leave me with a stolen unicycle) I usually try to lock it by the frame.
Sheldon Brown's lock strategy is pointed to by members of this group quite frequently. You can find it at:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
Old 07-16-06, 11:13 AM
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well i use a cable lock my self tossed in my saddle bag. But if i had a u lock what i would do is lock it so the lock barrel is behind my seat post and the shackle angled down below the top tube. This way you shouldnt have the think bumping your legs all the time. You could also get some velcro straps and strap it to top tube and down tube Id put some thing self stick foam tape where it contacts the frame to prevent scratches and also to help hold it still.

As for cable locks see how i did my lock before i had a saddle back to use.
https://spellbound-guild.com/cannondale.jpg
Old 07-16-06, 04:24 PM
Team BYRDS

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 foot cable lock, coiled up on the handlebar. Once school starts back up I'll stick it to the bike rack and use it when the bike is left at school.... Thats not a half bad idea!!!