Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Does Popo have a shot? SPOILER

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-06, 10:09 AM
Runner (Wannabe Rider)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He brought back almost 5 minutes today, is he now in the hunt for the GC? Let's say he has a good day on L'Alpe Duez?
Old 07-14-06, 10:11 AM
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
.... This should have ****SPOILER alert***** in the subject line...

mods?

Yeah, Popo's got an outside shot. All the riders in the top ten do, if Floyd and Mechov and Evans falter. It's all possible.
Old 07-14-06, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dongiovanni
He brought back almost 5 minutes today, is he now in the hunt for the GC? Let's say he has a good day on L'Alpe Duez?
No reason to think he has a real shot. He got the time today because Phonak does not consider him a danger. He really did nothing today that would change that assessment.
Old 07-14-06, 10:23 AM
Runner (Wannabe Rider)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
.... This should have ****SPOILER alert***** in the subject line...

mods?

Yeah, Popo's got an outside shot. All the riders in the top ten do, if Floyd and Mechov and Evans falter. It's all possible.
Sorry, I should have put the spoiler alert...however, I really don't understand that. If you really don't want to know, why would you be hunting through discussion boards?
Old 07-14-06, 10:32 AM
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I already know... just trying to save you some grief from the forum's Spoiler Police.... They are an off-shoot of the crazed Bike Forums Use-The-Search-Function-Before-Posting Nazis...

Old 07-14-06, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I should have put the spoiler alert...however, I really don't understand that. If you really don't want to know, why would you be hunting through discussion boards?
He wasn't hunting through the boards. He wanted to see what the discussion might be about. There are lots posts regarding who people believe might be contenders. And none of them mention the specific stage results the day of the stage. There are threads specifically about Stage results so that a reader doesn't inadvertantly read the results prior to watching it.
Old 07-14-06, 10:55 AM
Runner (Wannabe Rider)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
He wasn't hunting through the boards. He wanted to see what the discussion might be about. There are lots posts regarding who people believe might be contenders. And none of them mention the specific stage results the day of the stage. There are threads specifically about Stage results so that a reader doesn't inadvertantly read the results prior to watching it.
Thanks for all of your "help". You sound like a great guy...really, lot of fun. love the rolleyes thing - so clever. ()
Old 07-14-06, 11:53 AM
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Yeah he has a shot; if he keeps taking his shots. These guys must still be blood doping. Look at Levi too... first a crap TT, then falling off the back... then all of a sudden he's right back at the front again.
Old 07-14-06, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Popo has no shot at overall unless there are huge wrecks, riders flying off of the mountain, ect. Landis did a smart thing opening the door for Discovery a little. His team is weak. Maybe Discovery will set some tempo in the Alps, and help cover breaks now that they have something to do.

Richard
Old 07-14-06, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
No. His team is dwindling day by day. He may be riding alone by Paris. And, he has been pedaling backwards whenever he sees a mountain.
Old 07-14-06, 01:08 PM
Seņor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Yeah he has a shot; if he keeps taking his shots. These guys must still be blood doping. Look at Levi too... first a crap TT, then falling off the back... then all of a sudden he's right back at the front again.
I heard they used patches now.

alanbikenohillsanddreadfullyhumid - one day where two riders abandon, and the entire sky is falling. Get a grip dude.

Popo has a shot - at a top ten finish. Seriously doubt he'll be on the podium in Paris though.
Old 07-14-06, 01:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of your "help". You sound like a great guy...really, lot of fun. love the rolleyes thing - so clever. ()
You were the one who made the original post. Someoned else pointed out that you should put a spoiler alert there. You also stated that you didn't understand why.

I was just explaining to you why they have spoiler threads. It seemed from your earlier post that you didn't understand the concept that some people may not have actually watched the days stage yet. You were the one that didn't understand that someone might be on the boards but not looking to find out who won today's stage. Right? A little sensitive aren't we?

The spoiler didn't bother me. I've seen the stage already. But I understand where the mods are coming from. In the past I've been hit up about posting spoilers too. No biggie....relax
Old 07-14-06, 03:53 PM
Runner (Wannabe Rider)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
You were the one who made the original post. Someoned else pointed out that you should put a spoiler alert there. You also stated that you didn't understand why.

I was just explaining to you why they have spoiler threads. It seemed from your earlier post that you didn't understand the concept that some people may not have actually watched the days stage yet. You were the one that didn't understand that someone might be on the boards but not looking to find out who won today's stage. Right? A little sensitive aren't we?

The spoiler didn't bother me. I've seen the stage already. But I understand where the mods are coming from. In the past I've been hit up about posting spoilers too. No biggie....relax
Just to clarify - I didn't state that I didn't understand why - I was making a sarcastic remark - the other guy understood it perfectly. I wasn't saying that HE was hunting around the boards, to paraphrase, I wrote "I don't understand when ONE hunts around, only to get upset by spoilers". You didn't understand my sarcasm, and assumed I was stupid.
Old 07-14-06, 04:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to clarify - I didn't state that I didn't understand why - I was making a sarcastic remark - the other guy understood it perfectly. I wasn't saying that HE was hunting around the boards, to paraphrase, I wrote "I don't understand when ONE hunts around, only to get upset by spoilers". You didn't understand my sarcasm, and assumed I was stupid.
Weeellll...To be specific, you said, "however, I really don't understand that. If you really don't want to know, why would you be hunting through discussion boards?"

Anyways, its no biggie. I didn't realize you were being sarcastic. You sounded like you were stupid. But apparently you're not.
Old 07-14-06, 04:33 PM
Lint Picker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a stretch, but anything could happen as long as he stays in the top 10. And by anything, I mean maybe a few of the leaders crash on the way back to the hotel the way The Falcon did...

Old 07-14-06, 04:42 PM
firegriff

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Did anyone see Hincapie and Landis riding side by side talking for a while just before they let the break get back above 4 min? Think disco and phonak have struck a deal to help keep Landis in yellow in exchange for a stage win or two, maybe agreeing to help in the alps? I am just curious since disco's DS stated disco was nolonger in the hunt for GC but where going to concentrate on stage wins, then I see Hincapie and Landis in an animated discussion in the peleton the next day while popo rides in a break

Old 07-14-06, 05:23 PM
Bent

Bikes: 2017 Trek FX S 6, 2010 Trek Madone 4.5, 2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+, 199? Trek 930 Singletrack

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe George just thought he could distract Floyd so he wouldn't notice... Talk about podium girls, point out the livestock, etc.
Old 07-14-06, 06:33 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
this threadshows what swrong with the spoiler approach. By Posting a thread "Does Popo have a shot? Spoiler" Anyone with half a brain knows Popo won today taking back significant time on GC. You cna't put the Genie back in the bottle.