Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Finding Night Riders

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Finding Night Riders

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-03, 12:21 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Finding Night Riders

lately- I have finally observed more cyclists out at night- well lite up with adequate lighting systems.. On the way home, I turned the car around and hoped to meet up with the third group I have seen in about one week..
After I caught up with them, I went ahead, stopped my car and waited for them to pass me by.. Unfortunately, they were from Temecula about 17miles north.. Said they meet on Tuesdays for a night ride.. I am having no luck in running into night cyclists from my town..
Do you all have night rider bike buddies with your cycling groups or do you ride at night alone.. I think I would feel safer at night riding with a larger group. Do any of you find it easy to connect with ohter night riders? Following them out of town it looked like great fun.. They said they only favor slower conditions at night on decents..
Old 02-06-03, 12:46 AM
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I am a commuter when I am ridding at night I am usually alone but you might check with your local bike clubs down there seems to me that one of them does a night ride. Ah San Diego 70F and nice my home away from home I wish I was down there now!!
Old 02-06-03, 12:59 AM

My problem Ngate.. My town is slightly remote. As many cyclists as I see about, we can't seem to support a bike club.. Closest bike club is about 20 miles away. On ocassions when out on bike at night, then I don't see night riders. Seems only when in the car.. This time I turned around and tracked them down.
My reflective/flashing vest- seems I would be a positive force in the group, as to helping the group to be seen..
Old 02-07-03, 12:07 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Check to see if you have a Randonneuring group in your area - we Randonneurs ride at night . . . we have to!
Old 02-07-03, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's hard enough for me to find DAYTIME riders around here. I have only seen other riders on the same road during the day maybe...10 times in ten years. Seeing someone else cycling at night around here would actually make a little nervous. Two crazy people per square mile is a dangerous concept.
In fact, there are so few cyclists in my immediate area that the locals have taken to assuming that if they see a rider within a 40-mile area it MUST be me.
Old 02-07-03, 02:22 PM

I have finally contacted some night riders over in Near by Temecula. Night ride of Tuesday/Thursday nights. Not really local, but can connect after work. I look forward to trying out a little night riding.. I had thought they might slow down at night for safety. i am told no. they are racers- see how it goes..
Old 02-07-03, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclezealot- I do the "midnight madness" ride every year. I have also seen rides in the Union-Tribine periodically, but haven't been on any of those. There are alot of cyclists in the north county. You should be able to find something.