Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

what a topic

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-03, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what a topic

I recentlly was told to do a 10 page paper on a topic relating to the time period of american naturalist writers' hayday. 1880-1920. Naturally being me, I found a way to make my topic be the bicycle technological advances that took place in that time period. It sounds like a good topic but I was wondering if any of the locals of bf have suggestions on where to look for information? The hardest part is always starting out when it comes to papers.
Old 02-06-03, 08:49 PM
Crank Crushing Redneck

Bikes: Bikes are environmentally damaging

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try early TDF information as I am sure any improvements in bike tech would have been used there.
Old 02-07-03, 07:05 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sure hope you don't spell "heyday" incorrectly in your paper....
Old 02-07-03, 07:20 AM

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I received "The Bicycle" by Pryor Dodge for Xmas. Is a history of the bicycle. It should be in your local library and you will be able to easily plagiarize a 10-page paper from with no problem. But seriously, is a great book with wonderful pictures and illustrations of what became the modern bicycle. Racing bicycles on tracks was THE sport in the U.S. and Europe around the turn of the previous century. Major Turner (if memory serves me), a Black American, was the best of the best for many years. There seemed to be less of a racial barrier in bicycle racing during this time (although he did have some problems). Is an excellent book and the photos and history are great. Sounds like a fun paper.
Old 02-07-03, 08:00 AM
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by ParamountScapin
Major Turner (if memory serves me), a Black American, was the best of the best for many years. There seemed to be less of a racial barrier in bicycle racing during this time (although he did have some problems)..
Major TAYLOR. He was a world champion and racism was a considerable factor in his career. There are several biographies of the man available, including his autobiography.

A Social History of the Bicycle, by Robert A. Smith is a good history of the bicycle craze of the 1890s.

The American Bicycle by Pridmore and Hurd is a coffee table book with lots of photos and good text.

I've got several links to bicycle museums (and their bookstores) on this page.