Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Kona King or Trek Fuel 9

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Kona King or Trek Fuel 9

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06, 12:30 PM

Bikes: '06 Fuel EX 8, '01 GT Rebound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona King or Trek Fuel 9

I see a lot questions like this on here, but a lot of great anwers, so I thought I would give it a try.

I'm just getting into mountain biking, and am looking to buy a new bike. Just getting started, it is easy to gravitate towards some of the "big" names, like Trek or Specialized.

Right now I am riding a GT Rebound, which I purchased about 5-6 years, and haven't really ridden it until this year.

My price range is $2000-$3000.

The first bike I was looking at is the Trek Fuel, more specifically the 9. But now I've also taken a look at a Marin and the Kona King.

I'm sure all of these bikes are good and they will get the job done, but I'm wondering if anyone can point out any negatives? I know nothing of the Marin or Kona brands.

I've shyed away from the Marin as the LBS told me the 15.5" that they had in stock would be large enough. I would just have to raise the seat. Seeing that now I ride a 20", I think he was just trying to make a sale.

Any opinions are appreciated.
Old 07-18-06, 02:00 PM
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
I would take the Trek, however I really like that the Kona has Fox suspension. I dont know much about the RS Reba.
Old 07-18-06, 05:39 PM
djentleman

29 viewers and no other opinions?
Old 07-18-06, 05:48 PM
Eat my Dust... n00bs

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone 2006

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuttster
I've shyed away from the Marin as the LBS told me the 15.5" that they had in stock would be large enough. I would just have to raise the seat. Seeing that now I ride a 20", I think he was just trying to make a sale.
your very right there, that guy was obviosly(sp) an idiot just one of them o so rare bad salesmen.

however back to the bikes, had some experiences with konas, a couple of full sussers like the colier and the kikapu allthough not the king. the 2 that i had rode were great bikes allthought the colier was on the heavy side as its a DH bike and the kikapu is really a all cheapish all mountain bike. when selling konas day in day out you get to learn that kona are mostly in the business for a profit unlike some companys want to give there riders the best experience. havnt had any experience with Marin but i hear they do some pretty good bikes, same with trek no experience with them but i know a few people who have some (one a session and one a rememdy) and they say there amazing! if you havnt allready looked i would have a look at specialzeds bikes for around that price specialized offer alot of bags for a really good price and if you still arnt happy with the price im sure you can haggle a little with the LBS owner!

sorry i could be any more helpful, but good luck choosing and let us know what you go for!
Old 07-18-06, 06:09 PM
Insert witty remark here

Bikes: Kona Dawg & Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"when selling konas day in day out you get to learn that kona are mostly in the business for a profit unlike some companys want to give there riders the best experience"

I reckon lots of people would disagree.

You should try and ride both bike and choose the one that you feel comfortable on as well as checking out spec quality, both those bikes are pretty well specced tho I imagine.

I personally dislike treks and like konas but thats just my opinion not based on facts. However I have never had any trouble with my two konas.
Old 07-18-06, 06:24 PM
Eat my Dust... n00bs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JKWITS
I reckon lots of people would disagree.
i do as well, on some of there bikes its worth it others its not.

I personally dislike treks
most people of this forum do as well, however im not one of them... bring back the brusier!!

i like konas but thats just my opinion not based on facts. However I have never had any trouble with my two konas.
ditto..not a single problem with mine im soooo happy!
Old 07-18-06, 07:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jag89
most people of this forum do as well, however im not one of them... bring back the brusier!!
+1
Old 07-18-06, 07:51 PM
djentleman

Ill always like Trek. Trek rox
Old 07-18-06, 08:25 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
"kikapu is really a all cheapish all mountain bike."

I own both a Trek (and a GF as well) and two Konas. I can attest that Kona is far from being a cheaply made bike.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-18-06, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EJ123
29 viewers and no other opinions?

ok, my opinion is that Trek is mass produced, generic trash, not quite at the level of Giant, but getting close. This includes all there lines including Fisher, Klein, Bontrager, Lemond...

Sorry, you asked for opinions.
Old 07-18-06, 08:47 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EJ123
I would take the Trek, however I really like that the Kona has Fox suspension. I dont know much about the RS Reba.
For me, I've never cared what people thought of trek. I've rode an old trek, I've tried newer entry level treks and loved them. That's all that matters, if you like how it feels. What's stamped on the frame doesn't matter.
Old 07-18-06, 08:58 PM
Homey

Originally Posted by mcoine
ok, my opinion is that Trek is mass produced, generic trash, not quite at the level of Giant, but getting close. This includes all there lines including Fisher, Klein, Bontrager, Lemond...

!!! *thunk!* (Siu Blue Wind just passed out....)
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-18-06, 09:03 PM
djentleman

Originally Posted by mcoine

At least you responded.
Old 07-18-06, 09:09 PM
Homey

(Siu Blue Wind wakes up)......"huh? wha?.........OH YEAH! " *thunk!*
Old 07-19-06, 01:25 AM
Insert witty remark here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also... Keep an eye out for sales since the 07 Konas aren't far away as well. Could save some big bucks.

Not sure about trek. Who cares?
Old 07-19-06, 01:34 AM
MTBer

Bikes: 1 trek rigid bike, 1 ironhorse sgs pro freeride, 1 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
personally i think trek make great road bikes, but their mountian bikes SUCK ASS. sorry i just had to say it.
Old 07-19-06, 06:22 AM
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny, the OP was looking for some help on choosing a bike and it seems to have turned into a pissing contest between Trek supporters and Trek haters, Kona supporters and Kona haters, etc.

To the OP, I'm pretty sure that in the $2000 to $3000 range you're going to get a high quality bike no matter what brand you wind up choosing. So, fit and function would be the two main things you want to consider. First thing that you want to deterimine is what type of riding you will be doing: downhill, XC, freeride, etc. That will at least narrow your search down. Secondly, get on the bikes and ride them. Go with whatever feels comfortable. If you're not comfortable on the bike, you won't ride it and you'll have wasted a good amount of money. Trek and Kona are both good brands, especially in the price range you are looking. I wouldn't rule out any of the other brands either. If your price range was more limited, it might be easier to steer you towards a bike that provides good value. At the price point that you are considering, you have a ton of great options.
Old 07-19-06, 02:50 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by overthebarscar
personally i think trek make great road bikes, but their mountian bikes SUCK ASS. sorry i just had to say it.
This finding is based on your "professional bike fleet" ?

1 trek rigid bike, 1 ironhorse sgs pro freeride, 1 specialized hardrock

LOL, don't make me laugh.
Old 07-19-06, 04:09 PM
Eat my Dust... n00bs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pheard

maybe hes had more rigid treks and got rid of them, or maybe he test rides them

or just maybe.... its aload of s**te
Old 07-19-06, 05:52 PM
Homey

Originally Posted by Pheard

Geee...........I wish MY bikes were as nice as his........
Old 07-19-06, 06:07 PM
Insert witty remark here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Geee...........I wish MY bikes were as nice as his........
Your bike collection isn't too shabby, although I wouldn't mind that Ironhose myself.
Old 07-19-06, 06:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by junkyard
Funny, the OP was looking for some help on choosing a bike and it seems to have turned into a pissing contest between Trek supporters and Trek haters, Kona supporters and Kona haters, etc.

To the OP, I'm pretty sure that in the $2000 to $3000 range you're going to get a high quality bike no matter what brand you wind up choosing. So, fit and function would be the two main things you want to consider. First thing that you want to deterimine is what type of riding you will be doing: downhill, XC, freeride, etc. That will at least narrow your search down. Secondly, get on the bikes and ride them. Go with whatever feels comfortable. If you're not comfortable on the bike, you won't ride it and you'll have wasted a good amount of money. Trek and Kona are both good brands, especially in the price range you are looking. I wouldn't rule out any of the other brands either. If your price range was more limited, it might be easier to steer you towards a bike that provides good value. At the price point that you are considering, you have a ton of great options.
He did ask for opinions, and guess what, that pissing contest you are describing... its just people giving out their opinions.
Old 07-19-06, 07:32 PM
Homey

Your bike collection isn't too shabby, although I wouldn't mind that Ironhose myself.

Hey you have a pretty awesome blue bike there! Care to let me borrow it? I'll let you borrow mine!
Old 07-19-06, 07:47 PM
Insert witty remark here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Postage might be a bit steep.

Anyway if you look at it in the right light it goes pink so must be a girls bike

And its dirty at the moment...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mudsmall_002.JPG (68.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by JKWITS; 07-19-06 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-19-06, 07:50 PM
Homey

You saw that too?!? They told me I was crazy when I said it had a purple hue to it. You are now officially my new friend. Come on over! I wanna bounce with ya! (bouncey bounce boing boing!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.