Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How big of a difference?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

How big of a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-03, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How big of a difference?

I have the Manitou Axel Super (100mm) fork on my stumpjumper FSR, but i was wondering how much it lacks compared to the Fox Float 100 RL fork on the stumpjumper FSR comp, and in what way.

Also, how does the Shimano M-750 XT rear derailer on the FSR stand up to the more expensive Shimano M-952 XTR on the FSR comp?

Thanks...

(starting to wonder if i shoulda bought the FSR comp !)
Old 02-10-03, 09:40 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't worry about what you don't have. Just go and have fun on what you do have! There is some difference in the forks, but they're both good forks. Unless you ride both one right after the other, you're really not going to be able to feel anything significant.

There is a slight (very slight) difference in the Rear Derailleurs. I actually prefer an XT over an XTR, the XT is more than 1/2 the price, and performs almost as well, but is much stronger and will take some abuse. The "R" in XTR signifies Racing. I think it should be XTOR for "OverRated". If you are a hardcore racer with a lot of disposable income, get the XTR, if you're a recreational rider, stick with XT!

Yes, the XTR does shift smoother, but unless you're a fanatic, or filthy rich, it's more than you need!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 02-10-03, 02:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that.........good to hear. I'm new to all this, so i'm suseptable to taking what my friends say to heart. And one who has the FSR comp insinuated that his rear XTR might be worth upgrading to, and that his Fox fork is far superior to my Manitou. Had me wondering if i made a mistake in buying the FSR.
Old 02-10-03, 02:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey,
I have a Float RL on my FSR that came with the bike. It's an 02' model. There is a big differance between the performance of the Axel and Float. But it's not like you really need it right now seeing as you spent all that dough on a new bike. Besides you'll enjoy the Axel just fine. When you're riding your own bike you wont notice it; it's when you ride other peoples bikes when you really start to pick up on the nuances of differant bikes. Dont worry about what your friends say and just enjoy the bike. Some people are more about their equipment than the ride

BTW i prefer XT over XTR b/c XTR is just so dam finicky
Old 02-10-03, 05:54 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
It sounds like your friend needs a reality check. Just one day bring your A-game with you and make him suffer. Oh, Recently it seems like alot of Fox Forks have been blowing their seals, haven't heard any issue from Manitous.

BTW, XTR is evil.
Old 02-10-03, 08:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks y'all. Now i feel even better. Now i can tell my buddy next time we go riding that i feel sorry for him for having the XTR.

By the way, he DOES have a lot of trouble with shifting. He's mentioned it a few times, then when i got a bike and we started riding i noticed he's always cursing his derailer ! Saturday it was shifting on him by itself and he was getting rather upset!! Seriously ! I figured it probably just needs adjustment, but that plus his comments about it in the past do seem to qualify what you guys are saying. And to think i was considering an upgrade in the future ! I think i'll spend that money on a set of Avid mechanical discs instead.
Old 02-10-03, 08:42 PM
Eleventy Billion Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THIS is a first.

Honestly now...how many of you say XT is better than XTR because you didn't want to spend more money?

Sour grapes?
Old 02-10-03, 09:25 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by schnell
THIS is a first.

Honestly now...how many of you say XT is better than XTR because you didn't want to spend more money?

Sour grapes?
Maybe not WORTH the money. Sorry XTR is just an expensive piece that will break as quickly as Xt. Heck I would even take LX over xtr...unless the xtr was given to me.

And I KNOW I would hate those shifters. I have issues with grip shift. God knows I would hate a brake / shifter. Especially with the way I ride.
Old 02-10-03, 09:42 PM
Eleventy Billion Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will break just as quickly as XT, but it'll shift better before it does

It depends what type of riding you do...and how much money you want to throw at your bike. I think XT or even LX is fine for most recreational riders...but there are worse things to spend money on than bike components
Old 02-10-03, 11:08 PM
Zippy Engineer

Bikes: Bianchi 928, Bianchi Pista Concept 2004, Surly Steamroller, 1998 Schwinn Factory Team Homegrown, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 2000 Schwinn Panther, Niner EMD9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha, you guys are funny. I noticed a great improvement in shifting when I upgraded to an XTR shifter set and rear derailleur from full XT. As far as the new XTR shifters go, I'm still not sold on those, like Malestrom said. I've ridden them and not been too impressed.
Old 02-12-03, 09:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soar Grapes? Not at all.

Let me quantify my statements. 1) I am currently running full XTR on my bike, bought it that way! 2) I've been a bike mechanic (albeit only working Part-time) for the last oooohhhhh 18 years!

If you reread my statements, I claim XT shifts "almost" as well as XTR, but at half the price. What I'm saying is that unless you've got deep pockets or are a "Racer Boy", XTR isn't a valuable upgrade.

So many people get hung up on Status, that they don't step back and look at the big picture. I think XTR shifters (Pods Only) are worth the extra money, however, the XT's shift nearly as well. Very seldom do shifters get whacked during a crash!

Rear derailleurs are probably the MOST destroyed component on your bike. I've gone through several, many times on easy parts of the trail where I've picked up a large stick and it rips the derailleur off before I know what's happening. Why spend the extra Cha-ching on a component? Doesn't make economical sense to me.

My verdict is still out on the new XTR shifter/brake combo levers. I'm running Ultegra on my roadie and understand the concept, but feel that mtn biking is too rigorous and the shifter/lever is too suseptible to damage from a fall. (More often in mtn biking than road). Plus, I like my Hayes discs, so I'd stick with seperate shifter pods/levers anyways.

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
Old 02-12-03, 11:09 AM
Eleventy Billion Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by a2psyklnut
Soar Grapes? Not at all.

Let me quantify my statements. 1) I am currently running full XTR on my bike, bought it that way! 2) I've been a bike mechanic (albeit only working Part-time) for the last oooohhhhh 18 years!

If you reread my statements, I claim XT shifts "almost" as well as XTR, but at half the price. What I'm saying is that unless you've got deep pockets or are a "Racer Boy", XTR isn't a valuable upgrade.

So many people get hung up on Status, that they don't step back and look at the big picture. I think XTR shifters (Pods Only) are worth the extra money, however, the XT's shift nearly as well. Very seldom do shifters get whacked during a crash!

Rear derailleurs are probably the MOST destroyed component on your bike. I've gone through several, many times on easy parts of the trail where I've picked up a large stick and it rips the derailleur off before I know what's happening. Why spend the extra Cha-ching on a component? Doesn't make economical sense to me.

My verdict is still out on the new XTR shifter/brake combo levers. I'm running Ultegra on my roadie and understand the concept, but feel that mtn biking is too rigorous and the shifter/lever is too suseptible to damage from a fall. (More often in mtn biking than road). Plus, I like my Hayes discs, so I'd stick with seperate shifter pods/levers anyways.

L8R
A2, I wasn't talking to you, but re-read MY statements I never said XTR was vastly superior. In fact, I said that XT or LX will do fine for most recreational riders.

I was replying to the comments that XT shifts better than XTR. That's just..."applesauce"

I had no idea that I was a "racer boy" with "deep pockets" for disagreeing with you
Old 02-12-03, 01:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't offended, nor trying to be offensive. I think we're on the same page on this one. Take the "RacerBoy" w/deep pockets as an overexaggeration to relay a point! I agree that XTR is smoother, but not necessary for 99% of the people that feel the "NEED" XTR because it's top of the line. It is Top of the line, but that doesn't make it the best.

Kinda like the people who "Need" disc brakes. I don't need either XTR or Disc's, but have them on my bike. Why? 1) I am a bike geek and work at a shop purely so I can get a discount on parts. (Not really, I love everything about bikes) 2) I bought a complete bike with both already on it. 3) As a shop employee, I think you should ride what you sell even though your bike is better than the rider!

I have nothing against people who want XTR solely because there isn't anything better and they WANT the best. Case in point, my bro-in-law, Full XTR and uses his bike once a month!

As a matter of fact, I welcome it. But I will rarely tell anyone they NEED XTR. I think (IMHO), that XT is what 99% of everyone should use. I think that XTR is too delicate, and not necessary for the majority of users. Now, if only Shimano would add the spring tension screw to their XT R. Derailleurs like is on the XTR. There wouldn't be any doubt in my mind what I'd be using on my bike!

L8R
Old 02-12-03, 01:47 PM
Eleventy Billion Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Point taken and sorry for the misunderstanding

I agree that a lot of people think they need <X brand> component to be a "hardcore" rider; when somewhat less prestigious components will work just fine - and maybe even be more durable.

But I'm willing to spend the XTRa money Just because of the slight improvement and to know that I didn't compromise...even if it's just a psychological improvement. I do most of my riding solo, so I have no one to impress but myself.

I guess my view point is that there are worse things to spend money on than bike components...I would rather cut back on the slurpees for a couple months and spend that extra 40 bucks on a rear derailer...But I don't think for a minute that it'll make me a better rider

Last edited by schnell; 02-12-03 at 02:07 PM.