Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Specialized FSR or Trek Fuel 7 or 8

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,
I'm thinking full suspension. I currently ride a GT Avalanche 2.0 2004 model with a few upgrades.
(Bondtrager seat and grips,Truvativ Blaze cranks with a Gigapipe BB,Truvativ Downhill pedals,WTB Rapter tires,etc).I have been riding for over a year now, clocked in over 500 miles from last May and now have the desire to own a Full suspension. I ride mostly trails that consist of Paved and unpaved. Some up hill climbing but nothing serious. We go to Jim Thorpe once or twice a year for some killer riding Downhill and very nice trails.
I'm a large dude being 5'11 weight in at 240lbs. My GT has taken everything I have done to it and it doesn't show any wear. It's been a great bike but the hardtail does beat you up on bumpy trails. After a few conversations with bike shop dudes, these are the 2 bikes that suit me. A Cannadale lefty and a Giant FS also came into play but I like the Specialized and Trek better.
I'm having a hard time deciding on which bike is better. The Cranks are both Truvativ, the Trek has Bondtragers but they are suppost to be made by Truvatiz, I don't know if thats true or not. The Trek seems to have complete balance in gear and the Specialized seems to mix it up here and there. I rode both bikes alot and I like them just about the same.This is why I seek add on advise from you guys.

Give me some opnions on equipment and the bike companies, Personal experience etc. I used to ride in the 80's and the brand names I'm used to are now on the lower end. GT was huge with me and I owned many of them. I trusted them as I owned 5 of there bikes .

What do you guys think? I have clipless pedals but the kind of riding I do , I feel better on the Platforms.maybe I just need to give them a try.I watch alot of people I ride with crash when I do not. I can get off my pedals and put a foot down in a difficult turn much quicker then they can with clipless. But again maybe i just need to do it and get the benefits that they bring.

Help please and thanks in advance for the help

Dan
Old 07-22-06, 07:46 AM
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
I like the specialized bike. Their consistant with that design they use. Ive always liked the Trek feel, but they change their suspension designs alot. Have you looked at the Ellsworth Epiphany? It's <$2300
Old 07-22-06, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EJ123
I like the specialized bike. Their consistant with that design they use. Ive always liked the Trek feel, but they change their suspension designs alot. Have you looked at the Ellsworth Epiphany? It's <$2300
No I haven't. I have not seem them in any of the bike store around me. there are good high end bike store around me. The price of that bike is right up my price point so I would like to check one out.

Dan
Old 07-24-06, 02:32 PM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EJ123
The Epi's nice but that's $2300 for just the frame

my daughter rides a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, her SO a Trek Liquid, the AM version of the Fuel...both are nice bikes but very different...the Trek has more peddle bob (hence the rear lockout on the Fuel), both have lots of travel, but we like the FSR better for the price...nice frame, good components, stronger welds...but it all comes down to fit, riding style, and terrain

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever the choice

Cheers
Old 07-24-06, 05:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannadale lefty - which model? Scalpel Softtail? Or Rush/Prophet AM - both are good
Giant FS - light and cheap, good for racing, no resale market
Specialized - the EPIC is always good w/ its smart rear suspension
Trek - EX nice, decend, well made overall, crappy Bontrager parts

Truvativ are not Bontrager...Truvtiv is heavier but last longer
Old 07-24-06, 07:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which Specialized are you looking at? There's the Stumpjumper FSR and then there's the FSRxc. Last week I got an '06 FSRxc comp disc and have absolutely loved it. BTW I'm 5'10" 210 lbs.
Old 07-24-06, 07:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have the "06 FSRxc Comp disc and love it. I have about 250 miles on it and it has done well for me. I would recommend it over the Trek.
Old 07-24-06, 09:39 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek Jack...trials bike soon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd take the FSR, but trek has greatly improved their Fuel's in the last few years.
Old 07-26-06, 11:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have two specialized bikes with fsr, an older xc and a year old big hit, both bikes rock and i would recomend specialized for sure
Old 07-26-06, 12:56 PM
Desert Rider

Bikes: Trek 4300/Trek Fuel EX6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I shopped around I looked at Specialized and although I liked them, I liked the feel of the Fuel a bit more.
I bought the EX6 and the only component piece above and beyond on the Specialized was a Fox fork, although the RoxShox that I have has taken everything I can throw at it and then some.

I feel I received more comfort and value for the price I paid.

Ride them both and decide...