Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seeing San Diego by bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-06, 03:54 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any good ideas? My wife's in San Diego for a conference, so I'm joining her for a long weekend. I have all day, Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon in the area, though I'll likely spend Monday driving out to Joshua Tree since I don't plan to be in the area soon again and want to visit, even if it is 110 degrees. We'll have access to a car, so driving to ride is a possibility.

I'll take suggestions for just rides, or rides with a few stops at attractions along the way.
Old 07-24-06, 04:37 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in San Diego for a 5-day conference early June. I rented a Specialized hybrid bike from Bike Tours (downtown San Diego).. $60 including a lock, and rode the next 5 days. The store guy gives you a map and a good introduction on places to go by bike, which was my only form of transportation. I went to Point Loma (overlooks the downtown area, highly recommend for sunset), Coronado (if you are in Downtown San Diego, take the 20min ferry over, I think it was $3 to bring yourself and the bike; Coronado has delicious seafood+ a great beach), Sunset beach (great food, ask the locals for Mexican food recommendations), Dog beach. Because you have a car, I'd recommend to venture up to La Jolla, which is supposed to have even nicer beaches. San Diego Zoo is quite pricey $25 I think, but world famous- maybe worth it. I had a great time there and I'm sure you will too. Good luck!
Old 07-24-06, 05:49 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I suggest you stick with the coast. Try this link for a few ideas. Feel free to PM me, I'm happy to answer any questions. I live in Point Loma.

https://efgh.com/bike/rides.htm

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 07-24-06, 06:11 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Joshua tree in particular just suffered from a major brush fire... I am not even sure at this moment if it is fully contained.

https://dailybulletin.com/news/ci_4087007
"The Whispering Pines Fire in Joshua Tree National Park raged out of control Sunday, destroying one structure and causing serious injury to a firefighter."

So I think visiting that area will not be available.

Here's a good list of possible rides:
https://www.efgh.com/bike/

Perhaps the most renowned ride in the area is Hiway 101, which is the beach route. https://www.efgh.com/bike/old101.htm This is not exactly a low key cruise... although portions of it can be. Other areas along 101 are dense with traffic and one should have some traffic experience.
Old 07-24-06, 06:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stick to the coast, it's cooler and very scenic. I'd suggest going to Coronado via ferry...it's a fun experience. On the San Diego side of the ferry there is Seaport Village. Lots of interesting shops and whatnot (make sure you visit the Village Hat Shop). Across the bay the ferry lands in Coronado's Tidelands Park. Lots of good food to eat there. There is also access to a route that if followed all the way through will take you by Coronado golf course and connect with an 8.5 mile MUP (total of 11 miles one way). You can also make your way across Coronado to Coronado beach, which is probably the cleanest beach in San Diego county.
Old 07-25-06, 04:04 AM
what.

Bikes: raleigh rush hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go up the 101 through torrey pines up to encinitas. fun, and plenty up interesting shops and if you like records go to lou's bam.
Old 07-25-06, 05:19 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a link to every bike lane and route in San Diego: www.efgh.com/bike There will be no shortage of places to go by bike, but if you want to stay cool, stay towards the coast. If you like hills, go out towards El Cajon. If you want a nice long coastal route, start at Old Town, near the Trolley Station and ride up to Oceanside and take the Coaster trainer back. That route is almost 40 miles. Have fun!
Old 07-25-06, 08:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all. efgh.com was quite helpful. But how about locking up in public places? For instance, if I ride through Balboa Park and stop to go in one of the museums, is a u-lock going to assure me that my bike will still be there?
Old 07-25-06, 08:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeed
If you want a nice long coastal route, start at Old Town, near the Trolley Station and ride up to Oceanside and take the Coaster trainer back. That route is almost 40 miles. Have fun!
So you'd ride north? I'd assume you'd ride south so you rode on the coastal side of the road.
Old 07-25-06, 02:12 PM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to ride from Old Town up to Oceanside, you would be heading North, then take the Coaster south back to Old Town. By train to come back it usually takes about 30 + minutes. Be sure and check the train schedules, they only run every few hours and you don't want to get stuck up there for 2 hours waiting for a train. Usually I start out from Old Town about 7 - 7:30am to give myself plenty of time to get to Oceanside. I think one of trains leaves around 11 o'clock from Oceanside. Only two bikes are allowed per train car but they do have good places to secure them with velcrow. Be sure when you are getting close to Old Town that you unsecure your bike and are ready to get off at a moments notice. The train doesn't wait but a minute at each stop. Once we hesitated a few seconds to late and the train continued before we could get off. If you want to lock up your bike in Balboa Park, just make sure you secure it to a good sturdy post or tree with a fairly good lock and cable. The chance of your bike being stolen are pretty slim really. Hope you enjoy San Diego -- lots of things to see.
P.S. If you happen to ride in Coronado and want to go check out the Hotel Del -- DON'T lock your bike on their property, they will cut the cable and you will be out a bike.
Old 08-01-06, 08:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again for the tips. I stayed with a family member just east of Balboa Park. From there, I rode to Old Town then Mission Park, then up to Mount Soledad. I accidentally turned on Pico Road instead of Mount Soledad road, and that was a healthy climb for a flatlander like me. Anyone know the grade of that road? Then I rode the coast back to Pacific Beach and back to the east side of Balboa Park. The next day my wife and I took the Coaster north and rode the 101 back to the San Diego River bike trail and then to the car at Old Town.

But where the heck was the sun? I've now spent about a dozen days in San Diego and seen about 3 hours of sun in my two trips.
Old 08-04-06, 06:28 AM
Senior Moment

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesn't sound like you were in San Diego when we had the big HEAT WAVE. In my part of the county the temp reached 112 and my silly husband was out riding in it. That heat wave lasted a few days and now we have the drizzy. It should get nicer though! Enjoy San Diego--now ride around Coronado.
Old 08-04-06, 10:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather you experienced here in San Diego is what we normally have in spring and early summer. As Litespeed mentioned you missed a big heatwave we had. Even by the coast we were hitting the high 90s/low hundreds and it was really humid. Thankfully it cooled off and we're now getting plenty of morning clouds/drizzle and a cool (almost cold in the morning/night) ocean breeze. Feels like spring again.