Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

MMmmm...Good Salsa--La Raza that is...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

MMmmm...Good Salsa--La Raza that is...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 10:34 AM
Mmmm, Blue Salsa....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Extremely sweet! I've got a LaRaza I built up as a full roadie, and really like the ride. Your take shows that a good base frame can be spun into whatever you want it to be. I'd send a photo of it to pman@salsa.com just to show them a different take on their great frame....

B'Dog
1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer
Old 08-06-06, 11:10 AM
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty cool. I'm jealous over the On-One Mary bars. I kind of have a crush on Mary right now.

If it were me, it would have been a derailure instead of the internal geared hub. I like those hubs, but if I couldn't use my rear rack mounting eyelets and had to use a chain tensioner because of the geared hub then I wouldn't use it. Just my opinion.
Old 08-06-06, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks Bubba, Squeaky,

I did send some pics to Pepperman at Salsa, and they gave it a thumbs up.
The Mary bars have been great. I broke my neck and finding comfortable handlebars has been a quest. So far with a couple of hundred miles on them, and a few 50 mile rides, I have had no discomfort what so ever. I do think the grips are a significant part of the equation though. I think they are what keep my hands from falling asleep, while the bar keeps my neck and shoulder comfortable.
I went with the internal hub because of the maintenance issues. The difference in weight between a Rohloff and a typical derailleur system is about 600 grams. That vs. proven hundred thousand mile reliability, I'll happily take the hit in weight. I am miffed about the external shifter being in the way of the eyelets (the little black box in the pics). If I went with the internal shifter Rohloff I would not have had the problem, but did not realize there was going to be a conflict until after I had the bike built up. You live, you learn.
I have an internal shifting 500/14 on my other bike, and I can tell a difference between the way they feel. Both are silk smooth, but the external is a touch crisper. Maybe because it's newer and I forgot what the internal felt like when it was new?

--A
Old 08-06-06, 12:03 PM
domestique

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, what kind of rear rack is that? It connects to the brake bridge instead of requiring rack braze-ons on the seat stays. I was looking for a rack like that earlier this summer, but couldn't find one.

Oh, and another idea. Maybe don't get rid of the second chain ring. Since you have a chain tensioner anyway, just leave it on and you have two gear ranges. I know the Rolhoff hub has a huge range, but still you could easily have more range. Just thought of that since you have the chain tensioner anyway.

Edit: You wouldn't necessarily need a front deraileur either since your hub has a large range. Just manually switch chainrings depending on the terrain you're riding on that day. Little chainring for mountains. Big chainring for plains.
Old 08-06-06, 12:17 PM

I like the way you think, when I do some touring this fall I may hang a 48, or 42 even, on the inside, but it looks so sweet with only the one at the moment.
It's a Tubus Fly rack, I think I picked it up from Wallingford.

--A
Old 08-06-06, 03:28 PM
Mr. cost-benefit analysis

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck Single Speed, Novara 9 speed commuter/runabout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
Thanks Zach,

I'm damned proud of her. The only thing I have left to do is remove the inner front chain ring. Just waiting for some spacers to come in.

--A
I was wondering about the double rings up front. If you don't want to wait you can file your chainring bolts down. I they're alloy it won't take long at all. Also; I wanted to dump 2 of the 3 chainrings on my wife's bike when I put a Sram internally geared hub on for her. I had some nylong washers sitting on the bench which fit and thought "What the hell, give it a try, I'll get the right stuff when they wear out." Well, a year later they're doing just fine. So you don't really have to shell out for proprietary miracle bicycle chainring spacers.

DanO
Old 08-06-06, 04:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AllenG,

You bike is very nice, and it is a very interesting build for a fast, but practical commuter.

Can you actually use both chainrings or does it mess up the chain line with the internal hub?
Have you ridden in the rain yet? From the pictures, it is hard to tell if the fenders give good coverage. What size are the tires are and are the brakes long reach.
Old 08-06-06, 04:43 PM
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Purdy!
Old 08-06-06, 06:16 PM

One can use both chain rings with an internal hub. Sheldon "More is Better?" Brown made a 63 speed bicycle by such means.

I have ridden her in the light rain after a full on thunder storm, the roads were fairly well drenched. The fenders provide coverage. (pronounce the period at the end of that sentence) Nothing like full half round, stainless steel, with mud flaps, but I did not get a skunk stripe or spray in my face. My feet and ankles did get damp, but not soaked. {edit} forgot to add, the tires and fenders are 23 mm.

I don't know if the brakes are marketed as long or short reach. Their reach is 42-52 mm.

Thanks for the info, DanO, but I've already gotten the spacers in.

Last edited by Allen; 08-06-06 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-22-06, 07:30 PM
Happy old man

Bikes: Trek 4500 mountain bike, Trek 7500fx disk, and Trek 2200 Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the look of the handle grips..

In New England we have nine months of winter and three months of damned poor sledding.
Old 08-22-06, 08:06 PM

Thanks,
They are Ergon grips. Very comfortable.

{sorry about the fender jab, couldn't resist}

--A
Old 08-23-06, 03:19 AM
Happy old man

Bikes: Trek 4500 mountain bike, Trek 7500fx disk, and Trek 2200 Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
sorry about the fender jab, couldn't resist}

--A
No Problem

In New England we have nine months of winter and three months of damned poor sledding.
Old 08-29-06, 12:32 AM
zum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rohloff hubs intrigue me. In the course of scratching around for some information about them (like the price - which is way more than the intrigue factor) I found this site: www.freeridehubs.com which has a stepless internal shift, even more intriguing. Unfortunately, as expensive as a Rohloff, so I'll have to speculate until that lottery win happens. Nice bike, Allen. I tried bars similar to yours, but I still go numb, so I've gone with looped trekking bars because of the variety of grips.
Old 08-29-06, 05:15 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
+1 Sweeeet! Nice build and the weight isn't bad at all.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-29-06, 03:07 PM
Guayakill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi there! congrats on your bike... it looks great! I commute on a motobecane mirage road bike ... and I have a couple of questions about your fenders.
what is the brand? price? where to find them?...I've check online but found nothing similar...
thanks.
Old 08-29-06, 04:05 PM

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi San Jose, 2008 Trek Fuel EX 6.5, 2008 Cannondale CAAD9 R6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always liked the La Raza. I thought it would be cool too yell out Viva La Raza! everytime I pass someone on it.
Old 08-29-06, 05:01 PM

As always thanks gentlemen, very kind,

I've not seen the freerider hub. That is intriguing.
Rick, the fenders are made by Gilles Berthoud. You can find them here or here. He also sells the best stainless steel fenders I have ever come across. I had clearance issues with them when I was running 25mm tires, but have none since I switched to 23mm.

--A
Old 05-12-07, 03:56 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Beautiful bike. Looks like a great setup. I've got the same bar and grips on one of my bikes. Super comfy.
Old 05-13-07, 04:27 PM

Two of my "bike debutant" threads resurrected in the same day.
Thanks, Robert.
I've had it for almost a year now, and a couple of thousand miles later it's holding up very well.
I've changed the chain tensioner out for a single wheeled verity (just cause I like the way it looked better). The top tube has some paint scaring from where I lock it at work (no big deal, just a few scrapes, none to the metal). I swapped the QR's for pit locks (peace of mind), and after one of the p-clamps I used to secure the rack broke, I swapped them out for a better type. And I bought a click-stand, which makes using a trailer easier. Other than that I have not had to do a thing to the bike.

The only real maintenance I've had to do are the p-clamps, and oil the chain. The fenders are holding up very well, still look new, and the tires have had little in the way of flats, even though I have to slowly pick through a dirt road on the way to town. And the Mavic Open-Pro rims have held true on the same roads. The handlebars/grips have become my all time favorites. I love them, I put them on my off road bike. And the hub has preformed exactly as I expected, perfectly, never a skip, slip, or anything.
Old 06-07-07, 09:50 AM
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Have you heard El Vez, the Mexican Elvis, doing his version of Viva La Raza? (sample here)