Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Biking in San Antonio

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Biking in San Antonio

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 09:31 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking in San Antonio

In September, I've got a conference in downtown San Antonio. Any advice on rental shops? afternoon rides? budget places to stay within an easy bike of the convention center? I won't have a car, so I'm at the mercy of public transportation and cycling out of downtown.

Or, is San Antonio a bad place for biking if you're stuck starting from downtown?
Old 07-26-06, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
There is a small "old time" bike shop downtown, just three blocks off Houston street (where many of the tourist hotels are located) that rents beach cruiser type bikes. The staff at a downtown hotel can give you directions, it is right next to the Riverwalk.

Downtown is not the best area for riding though. The streets have lots of traffic. Most of the tourist attractions are on the Riverwalk, and bikes are not allowed on the walk (too narrow and too many people). There is an historic area just south of downtown that would be pleasant for riding, as would the parks around the zoo, five miles north of downtown.
Old 07-31-06, 12:06 PM
Plano, TX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a hike/bike trail near downtown. Not exactly sure where but I know many people who live there. I will find out where and how long it is.
Old 07-31-06, 10:23 PM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You could look up the Mission Trail that runs past the various historic missions. It's about 12 mi long (one way, I believe). Starts downtown at the Alamo and goes south. One site with info: https://hotx.com/missions/
Old 08-01-06, 07:47 PM
Fuji Rider

Bikes: Fuji, Moulton Fuso, Puch, custom MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Antonio Biking

Downtown is too cool for biking. There are several rides each week if not each night! Getting a bike should not be a problem for you. Look in the yellow pages for shops, there are several. As far as the rides, there are always cyclists cruising or racing through downtown - I know, I do it at least once a week myself. Last week I did the river/mission ride and it was a blast. I would be sure to get a map and don't be affraid of the neighborhoods!!
Old 08-01-06, 10:37 PM

Bikes: canondale silk trail--92 schwinn criss cross--sun atlas x type--fugi odessa--2018 trek domane ALR5 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The northwest corner of SA borders on the Texas hill country. You should try to ride it. Look here for a friendly club and some maps. https://sawheelmen.com/ Also the MS 150 is the first weekend of september. Two days riding from SA to Corpus Christi. The riverwalk area is downtown and has great food and fun partying. The Alamo is downtown and worth seeing. It's where Texas started the fight for independence from Mexico. Wecome to Texas.