Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

A challenged clydesdale. Different course, different outcome?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 04:24 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

After a buddy did a little bit of trash talk the other day, it got me wondering. Now I'm a 225 lb clyde rider. Done my share of climbing. It's tough but still fun when I'm in the mood. One thing that I noticed is that being a clyde, when other riders challenge you, verbally, they always choose a course that has 5 to 10,000 ft of climbing. Knowing that I have a 70 lb disadvantage, is this a fair challenge?

My best time on The Bear (10,000 ft century) is 7:40 (timed event), #123 out of 400. My buddy is 70 lbs lighter but only beat me by 10 minutes (we were racing). He has challenged me on next years ride after some cycling trash talk. Honestly, I think I can beat him so I accepted the challenge!

But it got me thinking as he refused my challenge. I challenged him to a race on the trail. 40 miles,flat course,no drafting, one on one!

Do other clydes run into this situation? Lighter riders wanting to race you or compare your abilities, but only into the mtns? Like the TDF, I'm thinking flat course results would be much different than the mtn stages.

Of course there are racers that would kick my azz on flat courses, but we're talking trash talk between two recreational riders here. Mostly for fun and bragging rights, so nothing too technical here. Shouldn't he do my race too?

It's tough being a Clydesdale!
Old 07-28-06, 04:28 PM
hobo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say replace the air in his tires with cement and then do the climbing... or bricks in the saddle bag
Old 07-28-06, 04:40 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've thought about cement block on his ankles and a swimming competition!
Old 07-28-06, 05:18 PM
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's only fair. You do his preferred race and he does your preferred race.