Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Integrated headset: outer race STUCK [pics]

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The upper cartridge popped out fine, no problem. Picture here for reference:

However, the lower cartridge separated, and I'm left with the outer race stuck in there pretty good. Yes, the worn spots are actually indentations....

Any other way to get this out, aside from the crude method pictured below?

There's not really any 'lip' for the screwdriver to grab....so that won't work. There a special tool for such a job? Thanks in advance.

Andy
Old 07-30-06, 01:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's probably stuck because its jammed at an angle. One of the bearing cups on my Merlin was a bit tighter than the other and the bearing had to be lined up just right to get it to come out. I'd try a bit of WD-40, then tap it all around the edge with a screwdriver and hammer to see if you can't get it to sit flat on the bottom. Then carefully pull it out. It looks pretty dry from the photo so lubing it will probably help.
Old 07-30-06, 01:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, will give that a try. I did wipe it with a rag before snapping the pic.....probably why it looks dry.

Andy
Old 07-31-06, 08:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this race remover, which seems to be made for motorcycle applications. Is there something similar for bikes? Even still, I'm not sure that the "fingers" would even catch the lip of the race since the headtube flares out where the bearing race sits. Hmmm.....

Old 07-31-06, 08:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That tool is for removing pressed in bearing cups (e.g. Chris King threadless headsets). You have an integrated headset and there's nothing for the tool to catch on.
Old 07-31-06, 09:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Proximo
You have an integrated headset and there's nothing for the tool to catch on.
That's what I was thinking....there's nothing there for it to catch on. This could get ugly.....
Old 07-31-06, 09:41 AM
My bikes became Vintage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_TN
Any other way to get this out, aside from the crude method pictured below?

There's not really any 'lip' for the screwdriver to grab....so that won't work. There a special tool for such a job?
I've used this method for other types of bearings. I would, however, use a screwdriver with a square shank that's oriented parallel to the blade and grind the tip a little sharper so I could drive it under the race. I'm sure there are bearing extractor tools designed for the job, but if you can't buy one or make one, it may be a job for the LBS.
Old 07-31-06, 07:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's stuck because its jammed at an angle, using a screwdriver like that is likely to get it stuck worse. The fit is more than likely pretty tight and the only way its going to come out is straight out. If its stuck because of rust, a penetrating lube and tapping it flat may help set it up to be pulled straight out.

Rather than taking a chance on damaging the frame, why not just take it to a good LBS and let them handle it? It's probably not the first stuck race they'll have seen.
Old 08-01-06, 07:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Proximo
Rather than taking a chance on damaging the frame, why not just take it to a good LBS and let them handle it? It's probably not the first stuck race they'll have seen.
Exactly what I plan to do. Only problem is that the good mechanic I was going to take it to just quit! Hmmm.
Old 08-03-06, 08:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got It!

YES!!!

So what did the trick? Took it to a mechanic friend....he bent a long, thin flat-blade screwdriver into a slight arc so that he could reach the 'lip' from the top. Tap-tap-tap....but it kept slipping off. We went round and round trying to find or think of other "tools" that might work. Finally went back to that bent screwdriver, and then jammed the rubber handle of another driver from the opposite direction to force the bent screwdriver against the lip. I held as he tapped, and BAM it came loose. Didn't take any excessive force, just had to be applied in the right spot. These aren't the screwdrivers we used, but I tried to re-create the scene in case my explanation was confusing:

And yes, I will be cleaning up the paint and oxidation on the inside of that headtube--along with some lube for the new bearing cartridge. Thanks again.