Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

starter athletic apperal.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-16-03, 06:23 PM
N_C
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

at wal-mart and i'm sure other retail stores there is a line of athletic apperal by starter. the short sleeve jerseys are pretty nice.

in fact except for not having the pockets in the back one style looks like a cycling jersey. it a zppered front. it only zips about 1/4 to a 1/2 down, its not the 3/4 zipper.

and there are several styles that have no zipper but they can be used as a cycling jersey. they are all made out of 100% polyester. which if i'm not mistaken. so are most jerseys.

the prices ranged from about $10.00 to up to about $15.00.

i have a blue and white one that has one of their 1971 logo's on it. i think 1971 is when the company was founded.

could not find any links to starter though. if someone else can please post them here.

this thread is not meant to entice a anit-wal-mart campaign. it is just where i saw these jerseys at and bought one. I'm sure they can be found online for purchase and or at a higher end retail store. that is if you want to pay the exhorbent prices for them.
Old 02-16-03, 06:41 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by N_C
this thread is not meant to entice a anit-wal-mart campaign. it is just where i saw these jerseys at and bought one. I'm sure they can be found online for purchase and or at a higher end retail store. that is if you want to pay the exhorbent prices for them.
Just be careful that you're not getting a heap of "factory seconds" that Starter have dumped at Wal-mart because they had a defect of some kind. I'm not suggesting they're necessarily useless, but I wouldn't buy them on-line without having seen them with my own eyes first. Remember, if Wal-mart are selling them dirt-cheap, it means they got them dirt-cheap in the first instance.

That is all.
Old 02-16-03, 07:21 PM
Chicks dig a big fork

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was in highschool Starter was "the brand". Had to wear Starter caps etc... But I am not sure about them anymore.
Old 02-16-03, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
NC.. I know full price apperal seems like rip off prices.. I do find wait for new product lines to come out you can get great gear for cheap prices. I bought a full sleeve winter jersey at Performance, of good quality, for $19. Just because new year stuff was coming out.. Wait for sales, you can have great luck. ''
Then some friends have bought name brand stuff at Goodwill. Hardly used. Goodwill has a bike section in my area.. Might give that a try.. Might be better quality than Wall Mart.. I do not trust them.. Just me..
Old 02-16-03, 08:39 PM
The Zon Is On!

Bikes: Giant Rainier Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starter did go out of business a couple years ago, the company folded after losing rights to making NHL hockey jerseys, it was like taking the bottom orange at the grocery store display. These jerseys are probably the last reminisces of a good company or wal-mart bought the rights and it's a Schwinn type deal, if you like them buy them.

-Middi-zon

Giant Rainier
Giant OCR 3
Old 02-17-03, 08:20 AM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You get what you pay for or if it seems to good to be true,you get the idea.You can get real jerseys for cheap all over the internet,try this one,www.longscycle.com
Old 02-17-03, 08:59 AM

Bikes: '87 Paramount & '02 Scapin EOS3

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for the link for Longs. Just bought six pairs of riding sox for $22, which includes shipping via priority mail. If the sox are as good as their prices I will be happy.

Got a great, inexpensive jersey at the Hotter 'N Hell show a couple of years ago. Is made by Kucharik. They told me at the time that they have the NHL contract these days (although they said it was a fight to keep with the likes of Nike, etc., trying to buy it up). Not sure of their website, but Google probably knows.