Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

?? Are the irms tests blind?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 11:43 AM
yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know if the labs are again given a bunch of samples with numbers on them to run the irms tests? IMO, it would be nice if the person(s) running the tests did not know if there sample belonged to Flandis. I'm not saying that it is likely that they would fudge anything. I'm just curious about what controls are in place to prevent it.
Old 08-03-06, 11:48 AM
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course they are blind. The B sample will probably not be though, as there will likely be representatives of Landis present.
Old 08-03-06, 01:35 PM
yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, they did say that the irms test is not done unless the T:E ratio was high. The media made it very clear that the lab had only numbers on the samples. However, it is not obvious that the IRMS test would be blind.
Old 08-03-06, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Uless the lab protocol has changed the tests are at best sort of blind. Each rider has a control number. Since Tour leaders and Stage winners are always tested anyone at the lab would start to have at least a good idea whose sample it is. Even someone trying to not pay attention would click to the fact that they have seen that number before ant that this means it is one of the 'important' riders.
Old 08-03-06, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Uless the lab protocol has changed the tests are at best sort of blind. Each rider has a control number. Since Tour leaders and Stage winners are always tested anyone at the lab would start to have at least a good idea whose sample it is. Even someone trying to not pay attention would click to the fact that they have seen that number before ant that this means it is one of the 'important' riders.
You forgot the daily random riders and the control numbers are changed every day.
Old 08-03-06, 07:37 PM
yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, when the need to do an extra test (i.e. irms), they just do that before passing on the T:E ratio to UCI?