Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Sad/bad ride.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Sad/bad ride.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad/bad ride.

Started good, Hung with the fast group. water bottle popped out crossing railroad tracks.. then caught an intersection and the wrong time, too many cars... fast group gone

Riding up the next hill, front tire sagging, ok, I will stop and change it.. naa, wait until I cross the highway. So I cross, and start working on it (found 3 thorns) Thinking, the other group should be along any minute...
ambulance goes by...

CHP comes to me "you see an accident?" I say no, but an ambulance just went that way" he sped off.

Caught up with the group later after their stop, the second group never caught up to me. I do not know why I didnt suspect anything.

So, the news I got later from a rider in the second group

2 riders, a little head of the other group.. climbing the short hill where I was going to change my flat. Driver of a pickup, no oncoming traffic.. first she sideswipes one of the two riders, (he is ok)then 50 feet ahead of him, she hits (rear endsw) the other rider, send him flying into the ditch. (she said she was going about 35mph) He was blacked out for a few. chest hurt, really bad scrapes on back when the paramedics cut off his jersey. He was taken to the hospital.

After I found this out, I had 10 miles of heavy traffic roads to ride to get home. Scared to death the whole way.

Waiting to find out his status......1st time anyone I have rode with was hit by a car
Old 08-06-06, 05:09 PM

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very sad, a similar thing happened to some people on a group motorcycle ride that I was on a couple years ago.
Old 08-06-06, 07:08 PM
BF's Level 12 Wizard

Bikes: Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy moley. Are they okay? Did you get the driver's information?!
Old 08-06-06, 07:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Havn't heard yet about the gentleman taken to the hospital. Yes, the driver did stick around for the CHP. No idea on what became of that.
Old 08-06-06, 07:22 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
She may have hit the first rider through inattention, Then rear ended the second while paying attention in the mirror to what she had done to the first. Drivers still need to watch where they are going at 35 mph.
Old 08-06-06, 08:05 PM
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Meh... I was riding on my morning commute one morning, pacing this gal who's riding a bit ahead of me, car passes me, gets up next to the gal on the bike, and makes a right turn right into her

Her bike was trashed, but other than some bruises and scrapes, she seemed ok.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson