Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quick Release Skewer

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Quick Release Skewer

Old 08-06-06, 10:35 PM

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick Release Skewer

My fiancée is just getting started into cycling. She has a bike that she bought at Wal Mart which the wheels are held on by nuts, instead of quick release skewers. Can those nuts be replaced with quick releases so that if she has a flat, she can easily patch/replace the tire? Thanks.
Old 08-06-06, 11:19 PM
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not easily... bolt-on hubs use longer axles with external screw threads, while quick-release hubs use shorter axles which are hollow so that a quick-release skewer can fit through them. It *is* possible to replace the axle of a bolt-on hub with a quick-release axle... however overhauling a hub is a fairly involved job if you've never done it before (hafta learn to adjust cup-and-cone bearings).

Plus, Walmart bikes are more or less meant to be throw-away bikes, and the hubs aren't really designed for servicing. They may use non-standard sized axles (I've seen some which had very thin axles), which means that you would be able to easily replace the axle with a QR axle.

Probably not worth all the annoyance... if you're worried about flats, the best bet is to bring along a small wrench. Some multi-tools have a small box wrench which fits a standard size axle nut (I believe it's 10 mm but don't quote me on that). For example this one for $15 is pretty similar to the one I have: https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
Old 08-07-06, 01:00 AM

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that info. I didn't know about those bikes since I have always dealt with skewers. I am in the process of building her a Giant OCR Elite, but until I finish that, she will be riding the bike she currently has.
Old 08-07-06, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yep, upgrading to hollow axles/QR is not cost effective. It may be worth upgrading to oversized "track nuts" which have a built-in washer.
A box wrench (uk ring spanner) is more secure to use than an open ended/cresent wrench. A workshop version has a longer handle and better leverage.
Old 08-07-06, 04:51 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pletcgm
My fiancée is just getting started into cycling. She has a bike that she bought at Wal Mart which the wheels are held on by nuts, instead of quick release skewers. Can those nuts be replaced with quick releases so that if she has a flat, she can easily patch/replace the tire? Thanks.
My LBS did the conversion on my wife's 25 year old Schwinn Traveller.

Bob
Old 08-07-06, 08:08 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Gee, I've done this conversion several times. However, all but one of the bikes was a LBS brand name bike. There are some annoying issues, but it can be done.
Old 08-07-06, 09:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pletcgm
probably better to carry a box wrench since the bike won't be a light weight anyhow.

ed rader