Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Oh Oh...here it comes OIL SHORTAGE

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 05:39 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts

Anybody seen THIS yet? 8% of total US Production. Around 2.6% of total US supply. Anyone wanna bet how long before we see $5 a gallon?

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-07-06, 05:45 AM
proud of his bunny

Bikes: 2006 Masi Gran Corsa Premio custom build: Full 105, Easton EC70 fork, Easton Circuit Wheelset // 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper (stock for now)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is only going to make large people in SUVs more crazy and rude to us cyclists
Old 08-07-06, 05:51 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinn-X
This is only going to make large people in SUVs more crazy and rude to us cyclists
I think the rudeness comes with the vehicle...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-07-06, 05:54 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinn-X
You're probably right, although I suspect that the new class of Ultra-rich, who drive the most largest and most expensive models, won't even care.

I'd be more concerned about the price of heating oil, food, and other things that everyone needs.
Old 08-07-06, 08:17 AM
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Less then half a percentage of the current global consumption and hardly an issue in a world with continually rising stockpiles. Of course the markets will take the opportunity to over play it and drive prices higher. And the A&S crowd will clap hands and dance about.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 08-07-06, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
...and prices will never come down while shafting everyone next winter with heating prices.
yay

$200 to heat my itty bitty house. There is only so much weather proofing I can do.... my attic is already massive insulation.
Old 08-07-06, 09:08 AM
Old Enough to Know Better

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is terrific! Once gas gets to $5.00/gal the slumbering masses will head to the streets with pitchforks and torches!

Maybe then our congresscritters will take a break from living the high life and produce a cogent energy policy that will solve a variety of social and economic problems.
Old 08-07-06, 10:44 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WalterMitty
I think this is terrific! Once gas gets to $5.00/gal the slumbering masses will head to the streets with pitchforks and torches!
More like $10 a gallon before that happens.

Originally Posted by WalterMitty
Maybe then our congresscritters will take a break from living the high life and produce a cogent energy policy that will solve a variety of social and economic problems.
Yeah, that'll happen and we'll all live happily ever after.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-07-06, 10:52 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Anybody seen THIS yet? 8% of total US Production. Around 2.6% of total US supply. Anyone wanna bet how long before we see $5 a gallon?

Aaron
We won't see $5 per gallon gas. That would inflame the masses. The goal is to slowly raise the price as to where people will slowly quit complaining about it. So far it has worked.
Old 08-07-06, 11:02 AM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hardly an issue in a world with continually rising stockpiles.
What planet do you live on?
Old 08-07-06, 12:09 PM

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
There's no aspect about the end of the petroleum age that will benefit the cycling community. Suffice to say, that the current quality of life for most of us, will not be sustainable without a shifting a significant portion of any disposable income to necessities.

Whatever, savings cycle-commuting could save you will be lost to the increased expenditures in nearly every other of life's endeavors. Perhaps, the only aspect of cycling afforded each of us - in spite of the onset of Peak Oil, is our good health. Enjoy it while you are able............
Old 08-07-06, 12:16 PM

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aaron
I am a cyclist and I also own a suv. A 2006 Rav4 that happens to get 30 mpg to be exact. And I'm definitely not rude to other cyclist.

Generalizations are for fools.
Old 08-07-06, 12:25 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by larue
I am a cyclist and I also own a suv. A 2006 Rav4 that happens to get 30 mpg to be exact. And I'm definitely not rude to other cyclist.

Generalizations are for fools.
+1

I think it is comical so many people think they know all about the oil business, that there is a conspiracy out there (gotta blame someone) and that the government can fix the problems with some mythical energy policy (it was called rationing during WWII).

Further, even if we don't own a car, we are all dependent on oil for fuel to move and heat everything.

I just laugh and shake my head.
Old 08-07-06, 12:37 PM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Further, even if we don't own a car, we are all dependent on oil for fuel to move and heat everything.
Not to mention that for every 1 calorie of food we produce, we use 10 calories of petroleum.
Hope most of you have green thumbs.
Old 08-07-06, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Aaron

That would explain why my grandparents, the most polite people on the planet, drive a highlander.
Not to mention my coworkers that drive SUVs are also quite friendly. The two other avid cyclists at my work are also nice people and own SUVs. So,......
Old 08-07-06, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
+1

I think it is comical so many people think they know all about the oil business, that there is a conspiracy out there (gotta blame someone) and that the government can fix the problems with some mythical energy policy (it was called rationing during WWII).

I just laugh and shake my head.
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Not to mention that for every 1 calorie of food we produce, we use 10 calories of petroleum.
Hope most of you have green thumbs.
+2

Why is it people blame all things related to oil on cars?
Do they not realize that unless you are purchasing only locally grown food that your food is transported via truck?
Is everyone here using green energy? I doubt it.
There are a lot of factors we need to look at in order to reduce our dependence on oil.

People need to wake up!
Old 08-07-06, 01:11 PM
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by larue
I am a cyclist and I also own a suv.
me, too! we actually were "forced" to buy an SUV because some JACK@SS tried to steal our bike off othe hitch rack..... rather than loose $10,000 work of bikes (2... mine and his) or rather than not travel to organized rides... which we like to do... we did the next best thing... bought a vehicle that will transport us and our 2 bikes and hold them safely if/when we need to stop on the way to/from a ride!)

and as for being rude to cyclists... ya.... ok... whatever.... I RIDE, TOO! why would i be rude to other riders on the road????
Old 08-07-06, 01:12 PM
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The most obvious solution is to simply tax gasoline. The whole taxing engine displacement is a ridiculous hair splitting farce. Where as with a gas tax the more you use, the more you pay, very simple.

The tax should go into research for alternative fuels, etc. Why shouldn't the people wasting our children's energy resources help to find and implement a replacement. We've known about peak oil for 30 years and in that time all we've done is squandered our children's energy future. It may be your right to commute alone in a 6,000lb truck, but you should have to pay for the priveledge.
Old 08-07-06, 01:19 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
There's no aspect about the end of the petroleum age that will benefit the cycling community. Suffice to say, that the current quality of life for most of us, will not be sustainable without a shifting a significant portion of any disposable income to necessities.

Whatever, savings cycle-commuting could save you will be lost to the increased expenditures in nearly every other of life's endeavors. Perhaps, the only aspect of cycling afforded each of us - in spite of the onset of Peak Oil, is our good health. Enjoy it while you are able............
Most folks don't consider that things like tires, chain lubes, etc. are made from petroleum. Anyone who thinks that riding a bicycle is going to be their saving grace when things get really bad are in for a rude shock if (when) it happens. Of course I have enough tires to last me for about 20 years of riding.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 08-07-06, 01:28 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
There's no aspect about the end of the petroleum age that will benefit the cycling community.............
I have to disagree with your blanket statement. There may be aspects of the transition to something else that will be difficult, but we will transition. And that's the key. As petroleum becomes progressively more expensive, more people will search for alternatives. And the market will provide those alternatives. Some will buy more smaller, more fuel efficient vehicles. Some will buy smaller, alternative-fueled vehicles. Some will transition to public transit. Some will take up bicycling. All of these choices will result in fewer behemoths crowding the roads, which will make the roads safer for everybody, including cyclists. And as more people take up bicycling as a reasonable transportation alternative, we'll see more and more bicycle-friendly policies and conditions.
Old 08-07-06, 01:46 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Most folks don't consider that things like tires, chain lubes, etc. are made from petroleum. Anyone who thinks that riding a bicycle is going to be their saving grace when things get really bad are in for a rude shock if (when) it happens. Of course I have enough tires to last me for about 20 years of riding.
Yeah, but not as much of a shock as someone who commutes 40 or 50 miles every day by car which is not unheard of here in Los Angeles. And it may not be pretty, but you can lube your chain with veggie oil. And I imagine if I take care of it my steel framed Surly will probably last another 50 years.
Old 08-07-06, 02:10 PM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Treespeed
Yeah, but not as much of a shock as someone who commutes 40 or 50 miles every day by car which is not unheard of here in Los Angeles. And it may not be pretty, but you can lube your chain with veggie oil. And I imagine if I take care of it my steel framed Surly will probably last another 50 years.
Until I moved earlier this year my total one-way commute WAS 45 miles (now it's more like 20). It ain't just in LA that people have long commutes.

So where do you figure on buying your veggie oil? Gonna have to make it yourself - think lard. Tires are an obvious challenge, but things like bearings are also gonna be a problem. I figure most of us are gonna get where we want to go either on foot or pulled by a critter, if things go that far south in our lifetime.
Old 08-07-06, 02:25 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Until I moved earlier this year my total one-way commute WAS 45 miles (now it's more like 20). It ain't just in LA that people have long commutes.

So where do you figure on buying your veggie oil? Gonna have to make it yourself - think lard. Tires are an obvious challenge, but things like bearings are also gonna be a problem. I figure most of us are gonna get where we want to go either on foot or pulled by a critter, if things go that far south in our lifetime.
It won't happen like that. As oil becomes more scarce, its price will rise. Some people will see that there's money to be made by offering alternatives, and other people will see that there's money to be saved by buying alternatives. Society will transition to other sources of fuel, and alternative modes of transportation. Life will go on.

And oil will still be available as a lubricant. It just won't be as cheap as we're used to, because we burned up the enormous supplies of lubricant we had....

And our descendants will look back and think we were idiots.
Old 08-07-06, 02:26 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

While I can see things going pretty far south in my lifetime just because somethings require a lot of energy doen't mean they still won't be done. Alcoa processes aluminum in Eastern Washington using hydro power, and I imagine you could do similar industrial work with solar, wind, or nuclear power. Of course if petro power disappeared tomorrow we'd be screwed, instead it will be a transition as the oil that's left in the ground gets more expensive to pump and harder to find.

I would imagine that we will always have bicycles, they were here before cars and haven't changed all that much since then. Though maybe we'd have a forum where we complained about having to share the road with horses and their crap, and carbon fiber buggy companies?

And as far as veggie oil I would imagine things would have gone well past far south if I can't buy some veggie oil for my bike. I would imagine if that came to pass then I would be growing my own food and
trying to figure out how to get water here in Los Angeles.
Old 08-07-06, 02:30 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order

And oil will still be available as a lubricant. It just won't be as cheap as we're used to, because we burned up the enormous supplies of lubricant we had....

And our descendants will look back and think we were idiots.
Imagine having to explain to our grandchildren the BS we wasted their energy future on. All this time we could have been using what is essentially free energy to build a sustainable alternative energy infrastructure and transportation system. Instead we've just farted away their future on vanity and religious violence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.