Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Light Weight Bikes

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Light Weight Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light Weight Bikes

Hello,

I am looking to buy a XC mountainbike in the 1,000-1,200 dollar range. I am Only interested in how much the bike weighs. But I'm not really sure what I should buy. I have looked at the Cannondale F 600, Kona Kula, and a few others but have no idea about weights. I don't really need much of a fork most of the riding I do is on dirt roads and some single track and i'm not really woried about what kind of brakes either. But if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate them. The only stipulation I have on the bike is that I want to buy from a dealer and not an online company. Thanks
Old 08-10-06, 06:26 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
If you want to buy from a dealer just go to the shop and weigh some bikes if that is the only thing you are concerned about. Your best bet is to take your own scale, my scale of choice is the Feedback Sports scale. Otherwise you won't get accurate comparisons since most people use different scales and / or ride different sizes, tires, tubes etc than the bikes you are interested in.

For what it's worth I'm a true weight weenie, however weight comes third after performance and fit. I would much rather have an efficient heavier bike than a less efficient weight weenie bike. To each his own though.
Old 08-10-06, 06:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the info but really all I do is kind of long rides that realy aren't that rough. I hate to feel like I'm putting money in stuff like forks and brakes when all I need is a little suspension travel and not hydralic brakes. But the kula has 100 mm of travel is that alot for a mountain bike or is that pretty standard. My bike shop is a kona dealer and I would like to buy from him but I'm not sure if 100 mm of travel is a little much for me
Old 08-10-06, 06:41 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Still you will benefit much more from having a bike that fits you properly than from having a light bike. In that price range there really aren't any truely light bikes. One of the lightest is probably the Giant XTC though, take a look at it if you get a chance.
Old 08-10-06, 06:48 PM
Ain't gonna nuke me

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Vertex 70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you use only the one criteria for a bike I believe you will not end up with a bike that you are satisfied with. You really need a good fit plus one that will be suitable for your changing needs in the future. When I first started riding I only rode on the road and some dirt but that quickly changed.
Old 08-10-06, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife just ordered the 07 version of the F600 (caffeine 3).. its $1100 retail, she paid $1000. With the 80mm headshok fork the bike should be pretty light compared with other bikes using various 100mm forks. If you can find one for $1000, you will have $200 to spend on some light upgrades.
Old 08-10-06, 07:13 PM

Bikes: xo-1, riv atlantis, witcomb fixie, on-one inbred, bridgestone mb-1 w/ drops, bianchi reparto corse mtn bike, trek 650b'd touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if your just hitting the singletrack, get a cross bike. no sus fork, no disc brakes, light frame, you could get a bike under 22 lbs, and it would beat a mtn bikes ass on dirt roads for speed and gearing
Old 08-10-06, 07:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as "light weight" would it not be somewhat reasonable to find a bike in the 25lb range for around 1200 dollars. By the way does anyone have any idea on the weight of the kona Kula
Old 08-10-06, 08:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zach1979
Hello,

I am looking to buy a XC mountainbike in the 1,000-1,200 dollar range. I am Only interested in how much the bike weighs. But I'm not really sure what I should buy. I have looked at the Cannondale F 600, Kona Kula, and a few others but have no idea about weights. I don't really need much of a fork most of the riding I do is on dirt roads and some single track and i'm not really woried about what kind of brakes either. But if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate them. The only stipulation I have on the bike is that I want to buy from a dealer and not an online company. Thanks

My suggestion is Fuji Mt Fuji SL. V-brakes bicycle, not too expensive for the equipment and for a wheight less then 10 kg. If you manage to find the 2005 model it may be even cheaper!

https://fujibikes.com/2006/bikes.asp?id=161

https://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=41
Old 08-11-06, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Back in the old days we didnt use suspension for Just Riding Along trails. I do this kind of riding on an old touring bike.
Can you still get quality, lightweight non sus MTBs? Boutique companies like Soma do old school MTBs.
You could fit a lightweight ridgid fork , the Kona Project seems to have a good rep.
Old 08-11-06, 07:10 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your shop is a Kona dealer and you don't plan to do any significant off road, just dirt roads, I second the motion of a cyclocross bike. I bought a Bianchi Axis and sold my road bike. CX bikes are great for light off-road. https://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...2&parentid=253
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 08-11-06, 07:24 AM
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with LowCel. Find a bike that fits, then figure out the weight issue.