Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anybody like aluminum?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 10:21 AM
LOOK!!

Bikes: Look 586

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

People are saying "steel is real" and how tech/cool carbon is. But what about aluminum?

I hear people saying "harsh ride" or "creaking" - but I like how "alive" aluminum feels and tend to enjoy the visceral feel of aluminum, and what with carbon forks and seat posts and handlebars, the jarring nature of aluminum has been controlled a bit.

But am I the only one on here that actually likes aluminum frame sets?

dp
Old 08-16-06, 10:27 AM
Let's Go!

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1500

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I also really enjoy aluminum. This may cause some static; however, I like some of the 'feedback' that aluminum is able to provide because it tells me what is going on without having to think about it.
Old 08-16-06, 10:32 AM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I like it and think it is an underrated material for bikes because of the popularity of CF and Ti. I prefer it to other materials in the seatpost, crank, and frame for a number of reasons. However, I still like my carbon stays and forks. They really do improve the ride.
Old 08-16-06, 10:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think Al picked up its bad wrap mostly from its early days. Frame design has improved to make Al frames more compliant. Lemond and Cannondale come to mind.
Old 08-16-06, 10:42 AM
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CanyonChaser
People are saying
aluminium still suffers from the bad reputation it got (and deserved) 15 years ago, but it's improved heaps. There's still some rough alu out there, but a lot can be done with forks. I have a Cinelli alu frame which is a bit rough with the Columbus Link fork, but very comfortable with a full-carbon Mizuno fork

My new, all-alu BMC Street Fire is as comfortable as my steel bikes, but I have a couple of Dedaccia 7003 frames that I can only tollerate with a full-carbon fork.

Alu has more 'chance' of being rough. If you rode 10 modern alu bikes and 10 modern steel bikes, maybe -- and this is just a guess to make a point -- 3 or 4 of the aluminiums would be rough, and maybe none or 1 of the steels might be harsh, and probably the same goes for carbon and ti

to answer you question, I like aluminium, and I agree that it's underrated -- it's clearly the best value material, for weigh and stiffness
Old 08-16-06, 10:45 AM
Go Titans!!

Bikes: '04 Eddy Merckx Team SC - Record - Rolf Prima Vigor; Andy Hampsten Cinghiale - Dura Ace 7800 - Rolf Elan Aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Easton SC7000, aluminum alloyed with a bit of scandium. Depending on the frame builder (which is the case for any material), it can really change the ride characteristics of aluminum.
Old 08-16-06, 10:50 AM

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. I'll be riding CAAD frames till I can't get them anymore.
Old 08-16-06, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the stiffness and responsiveness of aluminum. I really like corniering on an aluminum bike.
Old 08-16-06, 10:53 AM
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went from a low end Reynolds steel frame to a Columbus Alum frame (Allez Elite) with a carbon fork & seatpost.

The steel frame gave a super plush ride, but it had a ton of flex to it and was relatively heavy. The alum frame is just as comfortable, but it's much stiffer & efficient. That's certainly helped by the carbon components. The only time I've noticed a harsher ride was when I pumped my tires to 115 psi. But I imagine most frame materials are going to give you a harsher ride as you increase psi.

If you're looking for a bike in the $1000-2000 range, aluminum is a good choice.
Old 08-16-06, 10:57 AM
Dancing on the Pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky07
I went from a low end Reynolds steel frame to a Columbus Alum frame (Allez Elite) with a carbon fork & seatpost.

The steel frame gave a super plush ride, but it had a ton of flex to it and was relatively heavy. The alum frame is just as comfortable, but it's much stiffer & efficient. That's certainly helped by the carbon components. The only time I've noticed a harsher ride was when I pumped my tires to 115 psi. But I imagine most frame materials are going to give you a harsher ride as you increase psi.

If you're looking for a bike in the $1000-2000 range, aluminum is a good choice.
115PSI is a low PSI for a quality road tire. Do you have to ride on lower PSI to not get punished on a Al
frame?

What if you have a Vredestein which needs to go up to 145 PSI ?!

Corsaire
Old 08-16-06, 11:00 AM
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
As a bigger/heavier racer (6'2, 197-200#) I love my Al frame. I have the Flyte SRS-3, which was designed to be stiff without sacrificing too much vertical compliance. I have a Flyte carbon fork, FSA SL-K cranks, and an Easton EC70 Zero post to take out some of the buzz.

I love the bike. It corners remarkably, is very responsive, and doesn't beat me up like my old CAAD3 did. I haven't done any centuries yet this fall, but I've ridden a couple halfs and metrics throughout the year and have been surprised at the comfort.

I agree that Al got a bad rep in the earlier years because of the stiffness and builders like Cannondale and Klein who thought that unyielding stiffness was all that people wanted in a frame or weren't able to engineer the Al as well as they do now.
Old 08-16-06, 11:19 AM
Mooninite

Bikes: $53 Walmart Special

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, I like my bike. But because I couldn't find other non-Alu bike (new) on that price range and with those components.
Old 08-16-06, 11:29 AM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I LOOOOVE Aluminum! First off, I don't believe that frame vertical compliance has a significant effect on ride quality. Subjectively, I find my aluminum bike is as smooth or smoother riding than the steel bikes I have.

I love aluminum. Aluminum frames tend to reasonable in weight and price and - with a few regrettable exceptions from the past - they have good durability.

I'm looking for a good all-weather commuter - a road-style bike that can take fatter tires. Like a cyclocross or touring bike. UNfortunately, many bikes in this category have steel frames. I'd prefer to save a pound or two and go alloy, but because I'm shopping used, I'll probably just have to endure whatever steel pig turns up in my size.
Old 08-16-06, 11:30 AM

Bikes: A couple

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like my aluminum frame with the carbon fork, but then again I haven't ridden on all the different materials to have a comparison.
Old 08-16-06, 11:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
Al got a bad rep in the earlier years because of the stiffness and builders like Cannondale and Klein who thought that unyielding stiffness was all that people wanted in a frame.
It's all that I want in a frame. If I could magically have a frame with ABSOLUTELY ZERO COMPLIANCE, I'd take it. Let the tires do their job.

And since when is 115 psi "low pressure" for a road tire?
Old 08-16-06, 11:34 AM
5AM ride again? Damn...

Bikes: '98 Softride Powercurve Mountain Bike - LX and XT; '04 Softride Solo Road Bike - Campy Veloce; Late 70's Richard Sachs Frame with old Campy - Yet to be rebuilt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of the aluminum. Granted, I ride two softrides, to they are in combination with the Carbon Beam, but the ride is very compliant and not as harsh as people make them out to be. I definitely think a well made aluminum bike will serve the purposes of those who ride it very well if they go in with an open mind and not the years old attitude of the aluminum being too rough a ride. I've ridden straight aluminum bikes, ones with carbon seat stays and forks, and I even tried a carbon with aluminum lugs (ok, doesn't really count since it was primarily carbon) and I don't have a single complaint about the material. It can provide a very compliant ride and for me at least has been very responsive. So I def. like the ride aluminum provides me.
Old 08-16-06, 11:35 AM
LOOK!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run 145psi on my Orbea Starship, and the only thing I don't like about the bike is the creaking. Stutterbumps can be a bit taxing, but I don't think any bike would absorb too much of those anyway.

dp
Old 08-16-06, 11:35 AM
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
It's all that I want in a frame. If I could magically have a frame with ABSOLUTELY ZERO COMPLIANCE, I'd take it. Let the tires do their job.
well then, as the Doc intimated, hunt around for some old Kleins or Cannondallies

Last edited by 531Aussie; 08-16-06 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-16-06, 11:46 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i'm sorry but how does an aluminum frame on it's own creak?
Old 08-16-06, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
well then, as the Doc intimated, hunt around for some old Kleins or Cannondallies
Love those Klein paint jobs...

The Cannondale touring bikes are CAAD2 frames... old enough? If I find the right one, I might do it...
Old 08-16-06, 12:07 PM

Bikes: I have a lease with an option to buy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surferbruce
I don't know but mine does from time to time. Most times I only hear it when I first start off. Then I can't probably cause I am not focused on it.

That said I really like my IronHorse Victory Race. It has CF fork and rear and it is pretty good. I ride at 100 front/105 rear. If I go much above that it does get a bit harsh and gittery around rough corners. It doesn't really matter and I don't need to pump higher anyway. I only weight 135.
Old 08-16-06, 12:12 PM
LOOK!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surferbruce

I could be wrong, but my understanding isn't that the frame is creaking, but that because aluminum is so conductive that it amplifies any sound in the bike.
Old 08-16-06, 12:17 PM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my AL bikes, in particular my bowery...

I like to have some feedback in the bike, particulary for racing... there is nothing like an AL frame... and yes CF and Steel/Ti has their advantages.
Old 08-16-06, 12:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your bike is making noises, they can often be fixed... No creaks on my Cannondale!
Old 08-16-06, 12:20 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love my CAAD8! Believe me I thought I'd never here myself say those words. I've owned lots of high end carbon from LOOK to Orbea but this bike is really a great compromise of stiffness v comfort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.