Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rust frozen fork & stem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

rust frozen fork & stem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rust frozen fork & stem

I picked up an old Schwinn and I wanted to take apart the fork and stem, but they appear to be rusted together. It's a quill type stem. I've tried spraying some wd-40 in the tube, but to no avail.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 08-16-06, 07:44 PM
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sheldon Brown to the rescue Here's a guide to removing a stuck seatpost, and nearly all the advice is good for stems as well: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

Quick summary: WD-40 won't do it, you need penetrating oil (available at pretty much any hardware store). Try using a RUBBER mallet to hit the stem with gradually increasing force. If you can get it to budge, you're pretty much there.

EDIT: Penetrating oil is for steel stem/steel fork. If it's an aluminum stem (e.g. practically any stem made in last 20-30 years) then ammonia can be used to dissolve the corrosion.
Old 08-16-06, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old 08-16-06, 08:03 PM
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I should add that you MUST get the wedge bolt loosened completely before trying any extreme measures for removing the stem. Otherwise you're never going to get the stem out, and you'll probably damage the fork steerer tube too...