Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

29ers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 09:33 PM
SwampFox

Bikes: Diamonback Sorrento, Gary Fisher Cobia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fisher 29ers

What is Gary Fishers 29ers? Its the wheel size i know but whats the big deal. can you put a 29er on a reg. bike?
Old 08-16-06, 10:56 PM
Lost in the Black Hills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they are specially designed frames for larger wheels. you can't just swap wheels. maybe you could put regular 26" on a 29er frame, however the bottom bracket would then be too close to the ground.
Old 08-17-06, 02:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
96er ...

Originally Posted by Little Leo
What is Gary Fishers 29ers? Its the wheel size i know but whats the big deal. can you put a 29er on a reg. bike?

You could get a 29er fork and put it on a 26er along with a 29er wheel. Though, you will throw the geometry of the bike off. The head tube would be raised about 1.5" and the effective top tube would be a bit shorter. On a good note though, your weight would be farther back on top of the rear wheel.

It has been done. But it's probably better to buy a 29er frame or a 96er frame that's built for the job.
Old 08-17-06, 04:38 PM
Norcal 29er

Bikes: Gary fisher Mt Tam 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
You could get a 29er fork and put it on a 26er along with a 29er wheel. Though, you will throw the geometry of the bike off. The head tube would be raised about 1.5" and the effective top tube would be a bit shorter. On a good note though, your weight would be farther back on top of the rear wheel.

It has been done. But it's probably better to buy a 29er frame or a 96er frame that's built for the job.
this is all correct. if you are looking to get into it cheap, either build up a surly karate monkey with a rigid fork, or buy a fisher cobia. alot of other companies are coming out with premade 29ers, most of them fully rigid steel bikes, whether single speed or geared. the new jamis 29er looks pretty nice. if you have any more questions, lemme know. i work at a bike shop that deals with 29ers, and ride one myself. have been through a few, and a couple of my buddies ride them too.
Old 08-17-06, 08:42 PM
SwampFox

Bikes: Diamonback Sorrento, Gary Fisher Cobia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nope, I have it figured out now. i was just woundering what the deal was with a 29er.
Thanks