Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Old Trek - Mid 90's

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old Trek - Mid 90's

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-06, 10:07 AM
getting back to the road

Bikes: Specialized Stump jumper mostly set up for commuting and touring AND NOW a Specialized Roubaix. . gee do i get customer loyalty credit???

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Trek - Mid 90's

Hello,

I have the option of buying an older Trek - mid 90's the guys says. Chromoly frame - with front and rear braze ons for under 200 bucks. The only issue is it is currently set up as a single speed. Which I am actually pretty excited to try. But I eventually want this to be a touring bike. Assuming this bike fits me - how much money would I have to invest to put STI and probably 105 stuff on? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tobias
Old 08-20-06, 09:29 PM

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First check it's age here........... https://www.vintage-trek.com/
Old 08-21-06, 05:37 AM
Mike

Bikes: Cignal Silverado MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which model? I have an 850 frame that I am converting to a touring bike (after I add a few more nbraze-ons)! They are easily converted back to multi-speed with the right pieces.
Mike
Old 08-21-06, 05:56 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That might be a bit too much money. Of course it depends where you are, but I see quite a few older Trek 950's on Craigslist quite often for <$150. This of course, doesn't matter as much if you need or really want that bike now, and that's the going rate for these kind of bikes in your area.

Concerning conversion to STI, it's an expensive thing. The cheapest I could manage was $85 inc. shipping for like new Tiagra shifters off ebay (I'd guess 105 would be around $100 or more for even a good pair used). Add in the cost of the handlebars, the tape, the cables, crankset (that bike probably won't have a 9-speed crank) and oh, don't forget you'll probably need a new front derailleur..... rear derailleur..... crank and chain......etc etc Since you are mentioning 105, I'm assuming you want to go 9-speed, which might mean a new rear hub laced up, or a new rear wheel.

So, here's an optimistic split down of costs (write off those components you have already of course)

brifters $100
cables $20
stem $30 (put this in as it's likely the original stem won't be the right size angle for you, plus it will probably be size for mtb bars and not road bars as well)
handlebars $20
bar tape $10
crankset $90
rear der. $40
front der. $30
chain $20
new rear wheel/hub/lacing up costs/spokes $100

Also, you might want to get new brakes, but let's assume the ones that come on the bike aren't v-brake types so you can keep those cantis with your brifters, and let's assume you've got those slicks. Lastly, let's assume you have all the tools you need and won't be paying for a shop to remove and install everything.

Keep in mind I think $460 is pretty optimistic -you'll probably pay a little more for some of those parts, let alone if you have to add some more money for a bike shop to do the mechanics or you decide you want some different brakes or saddle. It's amazing, it really does add up -unless you have many of those spare parts hanging around, I'd advise seriously considering saving up a little more and just getting a purpose built tourer, or even consider the non-STI route as that will save considerable money too (you'd have a flat bar, grips, possibly shifters etc already). Having said all that, if you *really* like the bike frame, and you know what you're getting yourself into....... good luck!
Old 08-21-06, 06:59 AM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nigeyy
That might be a bit too much money. Of course it depends where you are, but I see quite a few older Trek 950's on Craigslist quite often for <$150. This of course, doesn't matter as much if you need or really want that bike now, and that's the going rate for these kind of bikes in your area.

Concerning conversion to STI, it's an expensive thing. The cheapest I could manage was $85 inc. shipping for like new Tiagra shifters off ebay (I'd guess 105 would be around $100 or more for even a good pair used). Add in the cost of the handlebars, the tape, the cables, crankset (that bike probably won't have a 9-speed crank) and oh, don't forget you'll probably need a new front derailleur..... rear derailleur..... crank and chain......etc etc Since you are mentioning 105, I'm assuming you want to go 9-speed, which might mean a new rear hub laced up, or a new rear wheel.

So, here's an optimistic split down of costs (write off those components you have already of course)

brifters $100
cables $20
stem $30 (put this in as it's likely the original stem won't be the right size angle for you, plus it will probably be size for mtb bars and not road bars as well)
handlebars $20
bar tape $10
crankset $90
rear der. $40
front der. $30
chain $20
new rear wheel/hub/lacing up costs/spokes $100

Also, you might want to get new brakes, but let's assume the ones that come on the bike aren't v-brake types so you can keep those cantis with your brifters, and let's assume you've got those slicks. Lastly, let's assume you have all the tools you need and won't be paying for a shop to remove and install everything.

Keep in mind I think $460 is pretty optimistic -you'll probably pay a little more for some of those parts, let alone if you have to add some more money for a bike shop to do the mechanics or you decide you want some different brakes or saddle. It's amazing, it really does add up -unless you have many of those spare parts hanging around, I'd advise seriously considering saving up a little more and just getting a purpose built tourer, or even consider the non-STI route as that will save considerable money too (you'd have a flat bar, grips, possibly shifters etc already). Having said all that, if you *really* like the bike frame, and you know what you're getting yourself into....... good luck!
New brifters come with cables and new crankset is unnecessary. Handle bars may not be necessary. If it's a road bike, quill stems are readily available in either 26.0 and 25.4 bar clamp to fit whatever size bars it comes with.
Old 08-21-06, 10:04 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, new brifters do come with cables, but you aren't going to find new 105 ones at $100. I was trying to think of the best price used, trying to be optimistic. And yes, older stems are going to be threaded and easily adjustable, but still there's a chance the reach is going to wrong. With the handlebars I assumed the original poster wanted to go drops and the original bike would have flat bars.

Concerning the crankset, I always "thought" that older 7 speed chainrings wouldn't run a 9 speed chain, but I googled and you're right! (and verified by Sheldon Brown : ). Just goes to show, you learn something new everyday!

So take off $90 (crank), $20(bars) and $20(stem) from that estimated cost if it's really optimistic.