Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Who are you? Where do you ride?

Old 04-06-07, 08:09 AM
no more nellie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Ron. Actually, I have been on their website. I just need to find time to go join them for sure. I heard Renee was recovering (she most certainly has too as she was out on Butterfield and Solvang). I wonder if the site is down for maintenance. Roland mentioned something about updating it at Butterfield. Small world, this cycling planet, huh?
Old 04-15-07, 07:58 AM

Bikes: Colnago CT-2 & C-40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First post on Bike Forums

My name is Bill, male, straight, married (mostly happily) live in Northridge, and I ride with SFV Bike Club- I sometimes ride with BF posters Vertical Bob, Big John, VanceMac, and others whose aliases I know not... renegaded the first section of the MC with a couple of friends (VanceMac being one) who were riding it- almost bailed due to cold in Malibu Canyon at start but hung around long enough to make it to first bailout point at Westlake Blvd.- favorite places to ride are the mountains- Santa Monica's, Sierra's (favorite ride is from Big Pine to Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest- stay away in summer heat), and the west San Gabriel's (fries at Newcomb's are great!) Also like to snow ski, run, volleyball, flyfishing, hike, mountain bike....and play with my grand kids! I'll probably do the Heartbreak so hope to meet some of you out there....
Old 04-15-07, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Bill! Glad you finally descended out of lurker mode.
Old 04-15-07, 10:29 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, welcome Bill and hope to see you out on a ride!
Old 04-16-07, 01:04 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro ; Merckx Century TSX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone,

My name is Mac and I came across this forum doing research on bikes. It’s been over 10 years since I last rode my original 8-speed Dura-Ace STI Columbus TSX steel Eddy Merckx and I’ll forever remember the memories I shared with it. I still have it and will end up overhauling it.

I picked up a new sled after beating up my knees doing timed 10ks and half marathons. I’m proud of the fact that running allowed me to loose about 30 pounds! Actually that and stress from the office played a big factor!

I purchased a Scott CR1 Pro, all stock. Added the cadence and speed/distance sensors for my Polar 625x that I used for running and now I’ve got a whole integrated logging system which I think is pretty slick. I work for an entertainment company and they are doing a Triathlon in Malibu later this year… I signed up after much persuasion (and even more alcohol ) from my colleagues so I guess I’ll have to try it at least once, right?

I live in Toluca Lake and have been riding around Griffith Park. My work keeps me busy so I’m lucky if I can ride 4 times/week. Then again like the old saying, quality over quantity right? Just a week ago I rode with the SFVBC and got dropped doing a level 2 Sherman Oaks ride but loved every minute of it. I thought I was in pretty good shape but the folks I rode with certainly had deeper reserves than I did. First week out I did about 40 miles total and I expect to stay at that pace for a while building my base.

I appreciate the camaraderie that you all share and hope to build enough endurance to hang with some of you in the future!

Cheers, Mac
Old 04-16-07, 02:30 AM
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dizzlwa?
Old 04-16-07, 07:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mava
Hey everyone,

My name is Mac and I came across this forum doing research on bikes. It’s been over 10 years since I last rode my original 8-speed Dura-Ace STI Columbus TSX steel Eddy Merckx and I’ll forever remember the memories I shared with it. I still have it and will end up overhauling it.

I picked up a new sled after beating up my knees doing timed 10ks and half marathons. I’m proud of the fact that running allowed me to loose about 30 pounds! Actually that and stress from the office played a big factor!

I purchased a Scott CR1 Pro, all stock. Added the cadence and speed/distance sensors for my Polar 625x that I used for running and now I’ve got a whole integrated logging system which I think is pretty slick. I work for an entertainment company and they are doing a Triathlon in Malibu later this year… I signed up after much persuasion (and even more alcohol ) from my colleagues so I guess I’ll have to try it at least once, right?

I live in Toluca Lake and have been riding around Griffith Park. My work keeps me busy so I’m lucky if I can ride 4 times/week. Then again like the old saying, quality over quantity right? Just a week ago I rode with the SFVBC and got dropped doing a level 2 Sherman Oaks ride but loved every minute of it. I thought I was in pretty good shape but the folks I rode with certainly had deeper reserves than I did. First week out I did about 40 miles total and I expect to stay at that pace for a while building my base.

I appreciate the camaraderie that you all share and hope to build enough endurance to hang with some of you in the future!

Cheers, Mac
Welcome Mac! Glad you found the SFVBC rides... the routes are great and the people are even better. What do you mean "only" 4 times/week? I don't know many people who can manage to get out more than that! With your running base, 4 times/week will have you in Lance shape in no time! See you at CSUN soon...

Cheers,
Vance
Old 04-16-07, 08:38 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro ; Merckx Century TSX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VanceMac
Welcome Mac! Glad you found the SFVBC rides... the routes are great and the people are even better. What do you mean "only" 4 times/week? I don't know many people who can manage to get out more than that! With your running base, 4 times/week will have you in Lance shape in no time! See you at CSUN soon...

Cheers,
Vance
Thanks for the welcome Vance! I rode with the SFVBC 10 years ago on my Merckx. I'm starting as a newb again waddling around in my bike shoes introducing myself and observing other riders to learn from. The CSUN parking lot has changed!

I totally took for granted the different muscle groups that cycling uses vs. running. I'm stiff in places I didn't know could be stiff. Surprisingly I don't have saddle soreness? My derriere actually fits the Selle Italia SLR saddle and that coupled with my new bibs is keeping me comfy.

I'm thinking about joining the newhall pass ride on Saturday with the SFVBC. Will you be riding with the club this weekend?
Old 04-16-07, 09:23 AM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Mac. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. The SFVBC group are great to ride with with many levels of riders. In no time, you'll be out on the centuries having a blast!
Old 04-16-07, 05:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone,

Cheers, Mac
Welcome aboard Mac- from a veteran 2 day poster here I'm another SFVBC member and it's great getting new riders into our fold- If you're riding 4 days a week you'll move up the ride levels at a good rate.... Look forward to seeing you out there (but not this Saturday- I'm out of town).
Old 04-16-07, 05:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
Yes, welcome Bill and hope to see you out on a ride!
Thanks for the welcome and look forward to meeting you- I hope you wear a helmet to cover those ears
Old 04-16-07, 05:59 PM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ezrider
Thanks for the welcome and look forward to meeting you- I hope you wear a helmet to cover those ears
My ears? Are they that fugly?

EDIT: Oh, you're picking on my llama too, are you?!
Old 04-18-07, 08:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merider1
My ears? Are they that fugly?

EDIT: Oh, you're picking on my llama too, are you?!
Only until I find something else to pick on
Old 04-21-07, 03:34 PM
Two Tired Traveler

Bikes: Miyata 15-speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everybody,

My name is Jacob and I haven't posted on this forum in over a year. (Went to Italy for a long ride, then a new career, new girlfriend, and you know how it goes...)

I'm on a quest to find safe, scenic routes in and around LA for commuting and for fun. I ride practically every day for work, shopping, etc. I've pretty much replaced my car with a bike, but I rarely end up going more than 10-15 miles in a day.

I have time for longer, fun rides every other Saturday (when my girlfriend works), mostly just exploring LA county from a two-wheeled perspective.

I'm trying to get my girlfriend into biking but I don't want to pressure her too much. When she's willing, we go on short rides involving lots of food and coffee.

I try to do at least one multi-day tour every year. One of the best was following the entire Via Appia from Rome to Brindisi in 2005. I'm planning to do it again in the Spring of 2008, if anybody wants to come along.
Old 04-21-07, 03:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Jacob! Are you downtown LA, or a different part of the region?
Old 04-21-07, 04:50 PM
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacobino
Hi everybody,

My name is Jacob and I haven't posted on this forum in over a year. (Went to Italy for a long ride, then a new career, new girlfriend, and you know how it goes...)

I'm on a quest to find safe, scenic routes in and around LA for commuting and for fun. I ride practically every day for work, shopping, etc. I've pretty much replaced my car with a bike, but I rarely end up going more than 10-15 miles in a day.

I have time for longer, fun rides every other Saturday (when my girlfriend works), mostly just exploring LA county from a two-wheeled perspective.

I'm trying to get my girlfriend into biking but I don't want to pressure her too much. When she's willing, we go on short rides involving lots of food and coffee.

I try to do at least one multi-day tour every year. One of the best was following the entire Via Appia from Rome to Brindisi in 2005. I'm planning to do it again in the Spring of 2008, if anybody wants to come along.
She'll love us! Er, some of us.
Old 04-26-07, 11:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, everybody,

N00b here. New to cycling, strictly in it for fun. (Been accused of getting into it for the leggy guys in the short pants, but I refuse to dignify that accusation with a response.)

For the moment, just trying to not tumble arse over headset while I wobble down the street. And loving every cotton-pickin' minute of it!

Bike is a Bianchi hybrid, retooled by a bike-crazed friend of mine, and given as a gift. This little low-budget stealth bike is PERFECT for bombing around L.A. It goes from gravel path, to freeway overpass, to greasy taco stand, with aplomb and good humour.

Anyway, I'm getting a huge kick out of those forums. Sorry to be so loquacious, but I love this new hobby, and it's hard for me to shush up about it.

Last edited by Allez Oops; 05-29-07 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-27-07, 06:26 AM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy, Allez, . You sound like a hoot and my kind of gal already. Welcome to the forums! It's a fun and lively bunch who post here, so you'll fit right in
Old 04-27-07, 06:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Allez Oops
Hey, everybody,

N00b here, based out of Santa Monica. New to cycling, strictly in it for fun. (Been accused of getting into it for the leggy guys in the short pants, but I refuse to dignify that accusation with a response.)

Welcome Allez. No one here is really in it for the leggy guys...
Really. I swear.

I'm in the South Bay and ride through SM all the time.. I'll keep an eye out for you!

Happytime (Joy)
Old 04-27-07, 07:34 AM
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in it for the leggy guys.
Old 04-27-07, 07:37 AM
Scum, Freezebag!

Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"arse over headset"
"battleax"
"aplomb"
"humour"
"loquacious"

:swoon:
Old 04-27-07, 09:31 AM
Body By Nintendo

Location: Videogames ruined my life. Good thing i have 2 extra lives.

Bikes: Giant TCR2, Giant TCX, IRO BFSSFG SE, Salsa Casseroll, IRO Rob Roy.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Happytime
Welcome Allez. No one here is really in it for the leggy guys...
Really. I swear.

I'm in the South Bay and ride through SM all the time.. I'll keep an eye out for you!

Happytime (Joy)
*cough*

SoCal Legs Thread

*cough cough*

Originally Posted by jsharr
A girl once asked me to give her twelve inches and make it hurt. I had to make love to her 3 times and then punch her in the nose.
Old 04-27-07, 09:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something stuck in your throat there, Psy?
Old 04-27-07, 09:59 AM
no more nellie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psydotek
*cough*

SoCal Legs Thread

*cough cough*
You are too cute. Speaking of leggy guys, are you single? If so, when you joining on a ride? If not...NOTE...I'm backing away from the married man!
Old 04-27-07, 10:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We ride with married men.

We don't ride married men.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.