Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Best bike shop in metro Seattle?

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm fairly new to the area and it would be interesting to hear what bike shops people find the best in Seattle and on the Eastside. Where are the best mechanics, best selection, etc.

I live in Redmond, we've got at least 3 in downtown here and one in Overlake. Plus Chuck Pate's repair business in town. I've also visited the shop on Capitol Hill on Pike. Can't say any shop is my favorite yet.
Old 08-26-06, 10:06 PM
OPC
¡Pura Vida!

Bikes: '92 Bianchi Eros, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well, Greg's Cycles is the biggest around. Locations in Greenlake, Bellevue, and on Aurora. I prefer the Greenlake location. Just a little more professional, not as many high school-age employees. I have not dealt with their service department, though I have heard them comment that simple tune ups can be as long as 3weeks during peak season. Product lines include Bianchi, Trek, Specialized, Descente, Rudy Project (sunglasses).

I really like Sammamish Valley Cycle out in your neck of the woods. I bought my Virata from them this last Spring. Very good experience. I do most of my own wrench work so, again, no experience with their service department. Product lines include Bianchi, Serotta, Cervelo, Assos, Smiths (sunglasses).

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. A new bike? Vintage bikes? Or just some accessories and the occasional tune-up/overhaul? Do not forget REI. Not the greatest selection, but occasionally better prices.

-José
'08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser
Old 08-26-06, 10:48 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My recommendations would include Bothell Ski & Bike (Bothell), Gerk's Alpine Hut (Redmond) and Pacific Bicycle (Sammamish). All are family owned businesses run by people who really care about cycling and their community. And they have a great sense of making their customers satisfied and happy.
Old 08-27-06, 12:36 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My favorites are Free Range Cycles in Fremont (good service/repair work and nice folks), Recycled Cycles in the U-District (huge selection of used parts), and Il Vecchio and Elliott Bay (lots of beautiful bikes to drool over, although I could never afford most of them).
Old 08-27-06, 01:31 PM
Edificating

Bikes: Spooky + Sachs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i went to one on capital hill... velocycles? or something like that.. nice shop
Old 08-28-06, 01:25 AM
Rat Bastard

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
My recommendations would include Bothell Ski & Bike (Bothell), Gerk's Alpine Hut (Redmond) and Pacific Bicycle (Sammamish). All are family owned businesses run by people who really care about cycling and their community. And they have a great sense of making their customers satisfied and happy.
+1 to Pacific Bicycle in Sammamish (425-836-3911). They carry Specialized, Cannondale, and Giant, have a good selection of accessories onsite, and have a good group of mechanics. The owners are almost always onsite and they organize road and MTB rides out of there all the time.
Old 08-29-06, 12:21 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal, Van Dessel Gin & Trombones, Rawland Stag, Bianchi SASS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have any experience with R+E Cycles in Seattle? https://www.rodcycle.com/
Haven't stopped by yet but their write-up sounds like it's worth a visit.
Old 09-01-06, 01:07 PM
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've enjoyed working with Recycled Cycles. They've made no-nonsense recommendations that also were cheaper alternatives to an ultimately great fix/upgrade. And, they built some touring wheels for me that I can't say anything but great things about...I'll let them build my wheels anytime.
Old 09-05-06, 03:35 PM
Clever Title Here...

Bikes: Trek 420, Habanero Custom Team Issue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any recommendations for a good shop to rent a road bike from? I'll be in the Seattle/Redmond/Woodinville area in a couple weeks' time. Thanks.
Old 09-10-06, 06:17 PM
---

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
myclem, I just purchased some speedplay x-2s from R+E cycles - they spent a lot of time with me setting up the cleats, and making sure everything was working fine. I usually do all of my own wrenching - but after my experience there, I may come in for more fitting. Really nice people.

Jimmy
Old 09-10-06, 08:12 PM
Not-so-Senior Member

Bikes: Orbea Enol roadie, Fly Micromachine BMX, Fort Track fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For rentals head down the steps from 1st Ave downtown (on Union Street?) There's a place at the bottom, I forget the name (Blazing Saddles maybe?). I used them a few years ago and plan to again in a day or two, unless someone knows somewhere better.
Old 09-12-06, 11:29 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal, Van Dessel Gin & Trombones, Rawland Stag, Bianchi SASS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Naidu
Any recommendations for a good shop to rent a road bike from? I'll be in the Seattle/Redmond/Woodinville area in a couple weeks' time. Thanks.
Bothell Ski/Bike ( https://www.bikesale.com/ ) is right up there next to the Burke-Gilman trail.
If you're looking for a road/sport bike on a Saturday, make sure you go in early. It's first come first serve.

My brother was in town not too long ago and we rented a Giant for him, hopped on the trail and did a nice 50-miler around the lake.
Old 09-15-06, 08:01 PM
Clever Title Here...

Bikes: Trek 420, Habanero Custom Team Issue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Jonny B and Myclem for the recommendations. Bothell Ski/Bike might be the closet location to where I'll be staying in Woodinville. If I get a chance to bike, I'll check 'em out.
Old 10-21-06, 01:21 PM
Travel light

Bikes: Davidson Stiletto, Pinarello Paris, Specialized StumpJumper Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're in Woodinville, you should check out Woodinville Bicycle on NE 175th St (the main drag). I've had tune-ups, upgrades done there and they have been great! Small, family-owned, and friendly. They stand behind everything they do and sell.
Old 10-21-06, 08:05 PM
Cheers!

Bikes: Scott Addict R15, Cadd 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyMetal
If you're in Woodinville, you should check out Woodinville Bicycle on NE 175th St (the main drag). I've had tune-ups, upgrades done there and they have been great! Small, family-owned, and friendly. They stand behind everything they do and sell.
Where on 175th are they? I sometimes go to Big foot bagels which right across from the Woodinville cafe and I'd like to check it out.
Old 10-21-06, 08:09 PM
Cheers!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also am a big fan of Gregg cycles. Up in the Everett area is Bicycle centre, one on Evergreen way-Everett & another on 132nd in Silverlake/Millcreek. They have a fairly large selection of MTB & Road bikes and are pretty informative.
Old 10-26-06, 10:38 AM
Travel light

Bikes: Davidson Stiletto, Pinarello Paris, Specialized StumpJumper Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wheeled
Where on 175th are they? I sometimes go to Big foot bagels which right across from the Woodinville cafe and I'd like to check it out.
It's down the street from there, towards Wilmot Park. They are at 13210 NE 175th St, which is at the intersection of Woodinville-Snohomish Rd NE. Right next to the sporting goods store, and across the street from the old red brick school house (or whatever that is).
Old 10-26-06, 09:10 PM
Cheers!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll check it out next time I'm there.
Old 10-26-06, 11:19 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Anybody have any favourites in the south end? Perhaps not just in metro Seattle? How about in Tacoma? Oly?

East Hill
Old 12-04-06, 08:56 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom
I've enjoyed working with Recycled Cycles. They've made no-nonsense recommendations that also were cheaper alternatives to an ultimately great fix/upgrade. And, they built some touring wheels for me that I can't say anything but great things about...I'll let them build my wheels anytime.
Their wheel build prices ($50 per wheel) are bit out of line with reality if you ask me. Otherwise I like the shop a lot.
Old 12-07-06, 09:48 AM
Redmond rider

Bikes: K2 Astral 5.0 with disk brakes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until 2 weeks ago I would have said Gerk's hands down. They have always helped me and were great to work with. However, 2 weeks ago I walked in because I was having stopping issues and was told "We can't help you, we are only working on skiing right now." I was like huh??? Then I was told "Take your bike to Redmond Cycle as they are a bike only shop." The part that really irked me was that I called earlier that morning and was told, "Yes bring it in and we'll take a look at it and can have it back by eod the next day."

So I would not recommend Gerk's anymore.

I would say that Redmond Cycle did do a great job adjusting and replacing my rear brakes. Other than that I would say Seattle REI just because of REI's awesome return policy.
Old 12-07-06, 11:28 AM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Downhill Zone in the U. District - - 'cept, of course, it helps if you're into DH
Old 12-08-06, 11:44 AM

Bikes: Merckx Team SC, Merckx ti with a lot of miles, Cannondale T1000, Tandem Tuesday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Olympia there is only one shop for me. The Bike Stand.....I get a ton of help and, for the first time, am totally willing to fully support my LBS. Plus Bill Stevenson is an icon down here.