Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Socal Newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Socal Newbie!

eh..crap, Just read the sticky at the top, my apologies!

Hey guys!

I've been lurking for quite some time as i've been getting ready to purchase my first road bike. I just wanted to know if there were any LBS that you folks near or around orange county recommend (Brea, Placentia). I was looking at the TREK 1000 at Jax in fullerton ( I attend CSUF btw) and they have it for 650. I was wondering if that was a fair price and a good entry bike to start out on. I won't be using this as a commuter since i have my motorcycle (more on this later), and i plan to stick to the road (hence the road bike). I'm still quite ignorant when it comes to bicycles so I appreciate your help on this. My main purpose for the bike is to actually get out and get some excercise ( I hate the gym), quit smoking (Can't breath...then i can't pedal), and i love being outdoors ( I'm always taking the scenic route on my motorcycle)

Now back to my motorcycle comment. I technically havn't ridden a bike for a few years. I did hop on my roomates FX 7.2 the other day, wobbled around for the first few feet, then pretty much got the hang of it. My concern is that i'm used to riding my motorcycle and i'm afraid that the techniques used to ride one don't transfer over to bicycles very well (leaning, braking, etc). So your tips are greatly appreciated

Not sure where else i'm going with this post but i could sure use your advice on what to purchase, where, and well....how to get back in the swing of things.

Thanks for your time and I hope to be riding with you all soon!

Ryan

(Posted in Socal Forum as well)
Old 08-27-06, 07:26 AM
Better than you are

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raven R1
My concern is that i'm used to riding my motorcycle and i'm afraid that the techniques used to ride one don't transfer over to bicycles very well
The lever on the left is not a clutch.

Trek 1000 is a decent bike. Trek 1500 is better.
Old 08-27-06, 07:31 AM
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Everything you've learned about directional changes and weight transfer on braking will migrate to the bicycle easily.
Old 08-27-06, 05:43 PM
Still afraid of buses.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Raven! Welcome. I'me fairly new to the forum as well.

In Brea on Imperial Highway is a shop called Two Wheeler Dealer (https://www.twdcycling.com). They are a wonderful little local store. They gave my bike an overhaul and stood by their work. Pay them a visit. Down a little further in Orange is a shop called Switchback Saddlery. They're on Chapman just east of the 55 fwy and they too are helpful and display excellent customer service.

If you're looking for someone to ride with try these folks. www.ocrebels.com.
Old 08-27-06, 05:56 PM
Geek Extraordinaire

Bikes: Bianchi Advantage Fixed Conversion; Specialized Stumpjumper FS Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to switch which brake lever activates which brake, so that the right lever is the front brake, like on a motorcycle. Otherwise, I wouldn't see a problem.

Sintesi Conversion Serotta Track
Old 08-27-06, 07:21 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.bikeirvine.org/links-shops.shtml This Bicycle Club of Irvine site has a big list of OC shops and stores, some with their own web sites.

People Movers at 980 North main Street in Orange was a good place to visit too when I lived there.

Last edited by ken cummings; 08-27-06 at 07:28 PM.