Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 12:37 PM

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Sunday's Solo Ride

I haven't had the chance to start a new thread in our new forum so having nothing else to say of interest I'm posting this! Has anyone else noticed that our forum is among THE most popular?

Took off this morning around 8 under sunny skies. I rode down Cornell to Malibu Lake and around the water to loop up to Mulholland. As I passed Mel's "church", I noticed that there is now a guard at the front gate, something that may have something to do with his latest "adventures" on PCH.

The Rock Store itself was packed with bikers...the motorized kind! Must be some kind of event because there could have been 50-60 or more.

Now the climb...up Mulholland for 2-1/2 miles with a grade averaging 8%. With so many motorcycles out there, I had to be very aware of what was coming around the corners, something that is made easier by the relative quiet of the area.

What an amazing day! The shaded areas were magical under large canopies of leaves. Only the sound of my labored breathing could be heard, with some birds and occasional water in the streams. The tires made a bit of noise as we rode higher. The views magnificent! I could see across the valleys all the way to the San Bernardinos (where other BF'ers were riding!). There was a big cloud of haze far across the basin.

At the top, I stopped to drink and just take in the view. I think far too often we are too concerned with speed, performance and distance to "just enjoy the day." so I grabbed the moment.

Rode all the way to Kanan and turned back. As I began the long descent, I passed a large group of cyclists climbing, spread out over 1/2 mile of pavement. The road is banked and fun to ride, although I admit to controlling my speed a lot....I'm a bit wary of going too fast and ending up over a cliff somewhere.

Down, down, down, rolling along Mulholland past my brother's house and back all the way to Cornell. Lots of riders now showing up in the SM's. Would have been nice to hook up with a few but alas no takers on the return.

Pedaled along, smiled at the horses along the way and back out. Just a couple of miles to my house and logged 21 miles with probably 1000' of vertical.

I am truly blessed to live where I do, to have these amazing areas to ride right out my front door and to enjoy the bright blue clear skies of Socal.

May your Sunday ride be as pleasant!

Sheldon
Old 08-27-06, 03:55 PM
riding once again

Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time.
Old 08-27-06, 04:01 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So Mulholland is only 2.5 miles long? Not familiar with the area. One guy I spoke with said MH was a monster hill. I had an image of a 20 miler.

BTW, could you see us on GMR from there? I was wearing a white tank and Gina had a pink top and helmet!
Old 08-27-06, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
Mulholland Highway from Calabassas to the other end at PCH is about 35 miles long with many hills, but no 20 milers. If you go out and back end to end it's about 7000 feet of climbing and a great ride. Lots of other great roads connect to it. You should try it sometime.
Old 08-27-06, 04:31 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanx! I hear plenty about that area but never ride there. Let's see what the SoCal ride plan for that area is like!
Old 08-27-06, 05:02 PM

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Thanx! I hear plenty about that area but never ride there. Let's see what the SoCal ride plan for that area is like!
Yeah, the road goes forever and a day, with amazing views, tough climbs, downhills, everything. Given the amount of time I had to ride, I chose a portion close to me.

I'm giving some thought to a BF ride in our area, probably similiar to the one I proposed in another thread. (HV to Camarillo to PCH to Mulholland to Westlake to Kanan to start off point at Kanan and Agoura Roads...there is an Islands there we could have a meal at. This is probably a 40-50 mile ride with some climbs but nothing impossible). Just will have to come up with some dates.

Sheldon
Old 08-27-06, 05:08 PM
Game on!

Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you had quite the ride! Great stuff, thanks for sharing
Old 08-27-06, 05:08 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I did some centuries last year with Bigkahunadad (still posting?) last year. We did some riding in Camarillo,PCH,Point Mugu,Ventura. Was real nice!
Old 08-27-06, 05:22 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, it was a beautiful day. I probably saw you - I was all through those canyons today... and every Sunday. It did get pretty hot on Latigo tho, but not for long.

It’s good to be in Socal cyclist.