Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

weekend ride reports - where'd ya ride?

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

weekend ride reports - where'd ya ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-07, 08:45 AM
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Saturday: nice little jaunt up Highway 9. Stopped at the CDF fire station and met a few folks going the opposite direction on a 200k brevet. Carried on northward along Skyline and descended Page Mill Road, made my way back home via Foothill.

Sunday: out for part of my club's A ride up Kings Mountain. The ride was continuing on to West Alpine, but a buddy and I turned off and descended East 84 instead. Tired legs today, despite a relatively sedate pace for this ride
Old 07-02-07, 09:12 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
On Saturday, my wife and I volunteered to help with the Beat the Clock OLH Hill Climb. The fastest time was 15:46. After, we rode our singles from Alpine and Portola to Stevens Creek and Mt Eden and returned via Sand Hill and Mountain Home – 40 miles. We saw a number o people riding the Giro. On Sunday, we rode the tandem from our house to Peet’s Los Altos via Olive Hill and back – 58 miles. Chatted with some AV people at Peet’s.
Old 07-02-07, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just did a short ride over Shannon/Kennedy and back to Campbell on Sunday evening before dinner. Nice ride, but at the end I somehow managed to strip the threading on my freewheel (yeah, it's an old bike) on the Los Gatos creek trail and had to skateboard my bike about a mile to get to the entrance so my wife could pick me up No damage to the actual wheel from what I can tell, the cassette/freewheel threading just let go somehow.
Old 07-02-07, 10:01 AM
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
The fastest time was 15:46.

I'd be lucky if I can make it up OLH in 30 minutes.

My Cycling Blog
Old 07-02-07, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I did the Cat 5 race at Vacaville. Managed to avoid the crashes and finished in the pack so I give my self a B+. I was also signed up to do the 35+ 4/5 race, but that was immediately after, and riding up that little hill just kicked my butt so I had go sit down for the rest of the day. And then on the drive home I kept second-guessing myself. I suppose I could have started, hung on the back of the pack, and tried to finish just to the get placing for an upgrade to Cat 4, but I was so wiped I probably wouldn't have been a safe rider and that's not fair to the other racers.

Anyway, looking forward to Davis on Wednesday. I'm bringing Lucas' bike so he can do the kids' ride. I think he's almost as excited as his dad is.
Old 07-02-07, 10:04 AM
Spinning like a gerbel

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Recovery ride on Sunday. Did a nice 23 mile loop, up Mt. Eden, onto parts of Saratoga then back. Needed that after the climbing done on Saturday. One of these days, I'll be able to climb hills, and be within reaching distance of everybody else.

My Cycling Blog
Old 07-02-07, 10:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had to work on Saturday morning, so grudgingly missed the Giro ride. Rode on Sunday instead from Palo Alto to San Mateo via Alpine, Portola, Canada, Skyline/Crystal Springs then up to Ralston and turned around the same way, but stopped by Roberts Market and wolfed down a hot dog before continuing the ride. Went to Redwood City's Alameda de la Pulgas to go up Jefferson, then head back to Palo Alto, rode down Foothill all the way to Cupertino and back. Total ride ride was 5 hours and did 78 miles.
Old 07-02-07, 10:33 AM
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spingineer

I'd be lucky if I can make it up OLH in 30 minutes.
It should be mentioned that the 15:46 time was achieved by Ted Huang, who has superhuman cycling skills. And even that is still a minute or so more than Eric Heiden's mythical time of 14:20 or something. indeed!

I'd be happy to beat 20 minutes. Actually I'm happy being able to consistently beat 25 but now it's time to push the envelope a bit more
Old 07-02-07, 10:43 AM
noob

Bikes: Trek 2200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
On Saturday, my wife and I volunteered to help with the Beat the Clock OLH Hill Climb. The fastest time was 15:46. After, we rode our singles from Alpine and Portola to Stevens Creek and Mt Eden and returned via Sand Hill and Mountain Home – 40 miles. We saw a number o people riding the Giro. On Sunday, we rode the tandem from our house to Peet’s Los Altos via Olive Hill and back – 58 miles. Chatted with some AV people at Peet’s.
I saw you two on Saturday when I was going in the other direction near the Stevens Creek Resorvoir area. I was heading home after going up Big Basin. I was going to yell out, but we'd pretty much passed each other. BTW, my best time up OLH is 28 min. Maybe that should be the start of a thread - everyone's best time up OLH.
Old 07-02-07, 02:17 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saturday I skipped the OLH hillclimb and did repeats on Mt Hamilton- the front, then the back side, then the top of the front again. That's about 63 miles and 8800' of climbing. I was kind of tired so I was a little off. Yesterday I should have slept in but I got my wife to drop me off in town so I'd have to ride back up the mountain to get home. I went up some of the short climbs in Los Altos, down page, through portola valley and up OLH, then a long ways south on skyline to get home. Saw the A ride headed the other way on Skyline. They probably wondered why an AV rider was going so slow, but I was just beat. I managed to make it home but it was a long miserable slog.
Old 07-02-07, 02:37 PM
back of the autobus

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This weekend I went on a two-day ACTC club ride circling the San Francisco Bay, 100 miles each day, starting from Santa Clara (near San Jose) with an overnight in Novato and back to Santa Clara the next day.

On Saturday, we started out from Santa Clara, headed north up Foothill/Junipero Serra up Sandhill to Woodside and along Cañada Road. On Cañada Road our group passed by the PhotoCrazy guy, taking pictures for the Giro - I'm the one with the sleeveless red jersey w. the green chainring logo passing by at 10:07 am . We continued up Foothill and Hiway 280 through Pacifica - nearly froze in the fog! - but once we got onto the Great Highway the fog burned off and it was warm & sunny again. We went thru Golden Gate Park and the Presidio, over the Golden Gate Bridge, had a lunch stop in Sausalito, went on to Tiburon and along the Paradise Loop, past the Larkspur Ferry and through San Raphael, to our motel in Novato at the north end of the SF Bay.

Along the way we made a lot of stops for sightseeing & photo ops. When we finally reached the motel, we had a fun group dinner at the adjoining restaraunt and called it an early night.

I had developed a cramp in my calf muscle at around mile 85 and because of that I ended up pulling another muscle in that leg. Ow. It felt much better once I was off my bike for a bit, so I got a good nights sleep and hoped for the best for the next morning.

On Sunday, the route took us from Novato across bay along Highway 37 to Vallejo, over the Carquinez Bridge and down along the east side of the bay back to San Jose. I took some "vitamin I" before we set out, but the pulled muscle in the back of my knee made it's presence known as soon as I started pedalling. Luckily it was very flat for the first 20 miles or so of the ride along Hiway 37, so I was hoping the muscle would loosen up after a bit. But, no such luck, it wasn't bad while I was spinning along the flats but as soon as I put any stress on that leg, either from climbing or accelerating, it would start to hurt. And there was a bit of climbing ahead of us, so it would likely get worse. We had a SAG car on Sunday, so once we crossed the Carquinez bridge and met up with it at the 25 mile point in Crockett, I loaded up my bike and accompanied the driver (the wife of one of the participants) to Danville where we met up with everyone for lunch. My husband was able to come out there and get me so we hung out there with the group until they were ready to head off again, and he & I headed for home.

It was a really fun ride, and although I'm disappointed I had to cut the second day short, I'm glad I did, my leg was still sore Sunday evening. It's feeling much better today though.
Old 07-03-07, 09:24 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a night ride on the roadie, posted about it here.

https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=316625
Old 07-09-07, 08:48 AM
back of the autobus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This past weekend I did a couple of rides along the coast, in order to escape the heat.

Be careful what you ask for.

Saturday I went on an ACTC club ride starting from La Honda. We headed down 84 to the San Gregorio store, up the northern end of Stage Rd & back to the store for a regroup, then headed south on Stage Rd to Pescadero, then up Pescadero Road & Haskins Hill back to La Honda, for about 31 miles and 2300 ft. It was foggy & damp & drizzly for the entire ride. brrr. But it's nice to climb when it's cool out.

On Sunday I went on another ACTC ride. It was my first club ride at the "M" level (one level up from what I've been riding in the past). There were going to be some big climbs so I was kind of nervous beforehand. But I kept up!! It was a huge confidence boost for me.

We started near Natural Bridges park at the north end of Santa Cruz, headed up to Empire Grade, up EG and turned around at Felton Empire Road, and back down some of EG to Smith Grade, up SG to Bonny Doon, great descent down Bonny Doon (40+ mph descent, whee!) to Highway 1, North on Highway 1 to a bakery in Davenport. (These people have their priorities intact.)

After Davenport, we went North on Hiway 1 to Swanton Rd. Swanton was a big U so we wound up back on Hiway 1, headed south past Davenport, then back UP Bonny Doon (with 10 to 12% grade in parts). From Bonny Doon, we took Pine Flat to Martin rd to Ice Cream Grade (crappy descent on that, I'm suprised I didn't lose a filling or two - and no ice cream, even ! ), another short climb then a very fun descent back down Empire Grade back to the start.

It ended up being about 56 miles and nearly 6000 feet of climbing, whee. It started out foggy and chilly like Saturday, but by the time we were climbing Bonny Doon the fog had burned off and it was lovely out. I'd never ridden on those roads so it was a treat.
Old 07-09-07, 08:56 AM
Spinning like a gerbel

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
This was a lighter weekend, riding-wise ... Saturday, I did a portion of the ride with Western Wheelers ... went up Old La Honda, and saw how foggy and damp it was ... went back down OLH ... but since I rode from my house, it ended up to be 43 miles.

Sunday, I did the Stay Cool BF ride. Started from Half Moon Bay, down the coast to Stage Road, then inland up Haskins Hill, then back to the coast via 84. 48 miles.

My Cycling Blog
Old 07-09-07, 09:11 AM
back of the autobus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Ron, if your Saturday ride was the WW ride out to Half Moon Bay, if you stayed with it I probably would have seen you at the San Gregorio store - we saw a bunch of WWs during our regroup there.
Old 07-09-07, 09:42 AM
Spinning like a gerbel

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jobob
Hey Ron, if your Saturday ride was the WW ride out to Half Moon Bay, if you stayed with it I probably would have seen you at the San Gregorio store - we saw a bunch of WWs during our regroup there.
Yea, I know ... but since I was going to be there on Sunday, I decided to bail. Besides, I didn't plan on going all the way, so I only had arm warmers with me. It would have been way too cold with only arm warmers going down 84.

My Cycling Blog
Old 07-09-07, 10:06 AM
back of the autobus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spingineer
It would have been way too cold with only arm warmers going down 84.
That's for sure !
Old 07-09-07, 10:08 AM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rode on Saturday in Marin with couple friends of mine. Started in Mill Valley, around Paradise Loop, up through Larkspur/Fairfax/Ross, out to Point Reyes Station, and back to Mill Valley via Highway 1/Stinson Beach. 72miles. It was a nice ride, cool weather and great views.

Did my marathon training run on Sunday, 20miles on Sawyer Camp trail.

Last edited by BlastRadius; 07-09-07 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-09-07, 10:12 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
River Ride on Saturday (54 miles), a few laps of the local park with my son on Sunday (3 miles).
Old 07-09-07, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Saturday was my standard Page Mill ride. This was a milestone however as I made it to the top without stopping anywhere for a breather. It took 56 minutes from the time of the first incline right after Alexis to HW 35 so now I have a ballpark figure to work with. I was spent right after the steep middle section going up to gate 4 but somehow I managed to trudge along and not pullover. It's just over 40 miles there and back from my apt.

Sunday was spent helping the lady at the Campbell's farmers market with her Jewelry booth and band practice so I was limited to a quick 10 mile ride around Sunnyvale.
Old 07-09-07, 01:07 PM
Senior Moment Member

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite Double & 2008 Look 555

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode the MUP off of 3rd in Foster City on Sat (off 101 by the Seal Point dog park/Mariners Point GC). did a easy 20 mile loop with a friend that's new to cycling. So she was on my wife's old heavy GT mtb w/ slick tires. I was also pulling my daughter in her trailer.

The ride was nice and easy but we hit headwinds going into it. Thought it'd be cool with tailwinds coming back... WRONG! winds shifter and at times I felt like I was pulling a parachute instead of a trailer! haha!

But I need to get with you guys and do some climbing since I suck at it so badly! Although I will probably opt to leave my daughter at home since pulling a trailer up hills would definitely kill me!

Then sunday, my recovery ride was my softball game in the Daly City league.

Gary

Last edited by Gee3; 07-09-07 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 01:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spent Saturday trying to find the quality singletrack at Quicksilver Park. Found out that such trails were few and far between, as well as that WTB Velociraptors + California weather does not equal good times. A few highspeed turns turned me into something which resembled a tumbleweed; and bent my skewers, hanger, bars, tweaked both tires, my rear hub, and cassette. 20 miles in all. I've since put on WTB Weirwolfs, and look forward to being able to turn my bike, in your dry climate, in the future.

Sunday was the true meaning of a recovery ride. A 35-miler with some Willow Glen people out to Helyer, and up to IBM, nursing my soreness and staying within the flat city.
Old 07-09-07, 03:03 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
The mini heat wave finally broke this weekend, and Saturday was cool but a bit windy. I took care of some family business and ran errands bu at about 4pm I finally had some time for myself and saddled up. I headed out east of San Ramon, and was soon into the rolling hills of west Livermore.

It was such a beautiful day that I just enjoyed being on the bike and wandering about aimlessly, and what was supposed to be a quick 15-20 mile jaunt ended up being 38.5 miles and close to 2,000 feet of climbing. It was just so nice out, I didn't want to stop.

The weather changed up a bit on the return trip as the marine layer came spilling over the hills, bringing with it cold ocean air and a steady wind. Temperatures dropped from the mid 70's to the mid 60's, and the wind was gusting pretty good - up in the 16-20 mph range. There were several miles where I had no choice but to go straight into it, but I was able to do a bunch of stair-stepping on the way home to mitigate much of the effect. Even so, I was pretty spent by the time I arrived home.

A few random pics, in no particular order:

Morgan Territory Ridge, just north of Mt Diablo:

Highland Road:

Which one's the boy? :

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 07-09-07 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-09-07, 03:21 PM
New Rider

Bikes: 2003 Giant TCR Two

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Umm... I rode around my neighborhood. Maybe a mile and a half at most. Just getting my balance again!

Bigbossman... LOVE the signature!
Old 07-09-07, 04:06 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
I rode 64 miles, from San Mateo to Los Altos and back including Alpine to the gate (nice gentle climb, BTW) and Page Mill to Altamont. I like the mix of noodling along on a really quiet road like Alpine, where the loudest sound was the bugs in the trees, and high (for me) speed grinding along Foothill.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.