Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Maxxis Crossmarks?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 08-29-06, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My FSRxc came with specialized Resolution 26x2.0 tires which are advertised at 803g each. I was looking at the Maxxis Crossmarks and the eXCeption series are advertised at 530g each. I could cut my bike weight down by over a pound if I just changed tires.

My question is has anyone had any experience with the crossmarks? I do mostly easy to moderate singletrack around here with a few old rail trails thrown in.
Old 08-29-06, 07:39 AM

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like your current tires may have a wire bead. The Crossmarks you looked at likely have a kevlar bead and there are some decent improvements switching from a wire bead tire to a kevlar bead tire:
- lighter
- easier to mount/dismount
- folds up nicely

That being said, I have no specific experience with the Crossmark tires but if you're looking to save weight then look for any kevlar-bead tire that suits your style of riding. I like the Specialized Roll-X Pro. I also like the Schwalbe Nobby Nic.
Old 08-29-06, 08:08 PM
Bikeless Member

Bikes: none :(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i ride adrenaline 26x2.00's (actual measured size 2.13 inches), but I have the pro dual compound version, and it tips the scales at around 618g. keep in mind advertised numbers can vary by 0.1 to even 2 ounces from the actual tire you're getting. personally i'd love to shave a full pound from my bike just by switching tires... but my tires are pretty light already and I don't want to move away from these adrenalines which have great traction and the middle knobs are great when i'm biking on the road.

i've heard a lot of good things about maxxis crossmarks, seen a bunch of ads in MBA too. i've seen it on pro cross country racing rigs too, although they only might be there because the rider is sponsored by Maxxis.

personally i'd go with the time-proven roll-x pro d2's, which got 4th place in MBA's sept. 2005 trailbike tire comparo.
Old 08-30-06, 06:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which tires came in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in MBA's sept. 2005 trailbike tire comp?
Old 08-30-06, 08:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the Maxxis Crossmarks and I find them to be very good tires...they are certainly fast, but when it is wet (w/roots and rocks) they tend to slip and slid. They are however suprisingly good in the mud. I think they would be great tires for the dry hardback out west but I would only rate them as adequate for rocky, rooty New England. I am experimenting with the air pressure to see it that helps....

-BF
Old 08-30-06, 09:11 PM
Bikeless Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrugCoder
Which tires came in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in MBA's sept. 2005 trailbike tire comp?
variations of the Kenda Nevegal, apparently... first was Kenda Nevegal Stick-E, tubed, converted with Stan's NoTubes sealant. second was the Nevegal Stick-E without the sealant, and third was Nevegal DTC or something like that.

basically, nevegals. but roll-x costs substantially less than the top three, and I'm partial to specialized anyway, and the roll-x has a harder compound in the center of the tire (i do a lot of street riding too) so i'd go with the roll-x pro d2 for a longer-lasting, cheap, and still really good trail tire.
Old 08-30-06, 09:19 PM
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
MTBAction = the suck.
Old 08-30-06, 09:21 PM
djentleman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
Im on the Crossmarks EXception. I am really pleased with them. I can lean in turns really well, and it glides over water unlike most other tires. They work best for me on hardpack dirt and the occasional pavement especially. Go buy them!
Old 08-31-06, 10:12 PM
Bikeless Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaRider24
MTBAction = the suck.
meh, every magazine has their weaknesses, you can't please the entire crowd. I like MBA, but I don't restrict myself to just that magazine.
Old 08-31-06, 10:27 PM
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonaRider24
MTBAction = the suck.
Unless you like XC. Then, MTBAction = the only