Reload this Page >

Labor Day Weekend DFW Ride?

Search
Notices

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 09:04 AM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

** UPDATE **
SUNDAY: Meet @ RBM Richardson at 8am. We roll out at around 8:15am. I'll be rolling in on the bike from my apartment near by. Not sure which bike I'll be taking, probably will depend on the weather. Looks pretty nice, with some low chances of scattered rain. I'll probably ride rain or shine. If it gets too bad, we can all go over to Corner Bakery for food and bike talk.

Anyone interested in a ride over labor day weekend? Sat/Sun/Monday (or more than just one!) doesn't really matter to me. Thinking of a 35-45mi ride, maybe starting at RBM Richardson, down to White Rock with a lap or two around the lake and back. Open to other ideas as well for route. Let's try to get a plan set by Thrusday evening so everyone can make sure they keep the time frame open.

- Jon

edit: here's the week's weather forecast for anyone interested: https://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...nav_undeclared

Last edited by cuda2k; 08-31-06 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 10:34 AM
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be up for that.
Old 08-30-06, 12:29 PM
Will race for points

Bikes: Tarmac, looking for another tri bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm doing my usual Sat ride with RBM but would be up for a Sunday or Monday ride. Las Colinas has some good roads that are fairly quiet on the weekends or there's always the Sunday RBM ride route from WRL to Ray Hubbard. Post the ideas and approx pace of the ride. Thanks.
Old 08-30-06, 01:26 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Plan A: Richardson Bike Mart (Richardson: Coit & Campbell) to White Rock Creek Trail to White Rock Lake with 1 or two laps around the lake and then back to RBM. 32mi (1 lap), ~40mi (2laps). Pace: 16-18mph.

Plan B: Richardson Bike Mart (Richardson: Coit & Campbell) and follow one of their usual Sat routes (27 or 35mi). Pace: 16-18mph.

Haven't done any of the other RBM (Dallas or Frisco) rides as of yet, but may have to join up on one soon for some variation. I as being a bit selfish suggesting RBM Richardson since I can get there on the bike. Open to any other route plans if someone can do a google routes / routeslip map and post it here.

Not looking for anything too fast this weekend, mostly a social ride, hopefully get a few more DFW BF'ers out for a meet/greet ride.
Old 08-30-06, 04:00 PM
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be doing my club ride on Saturday. I have not even thought about Sunday yet. I am going to a party Sunday night so Monday morning riding is OUT. Of the two suggested plans, I vote for plan B 35 mile option.
Old 08-30-06, 04:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I might be up for Plan B sans garbage fixie. The RBM Dallas rides are headed by the Mirage club aka "We drop our own even if they flat" and are quite brutal. As soon as they hit the service road it ramps up to an unrelenting ~25 mph pace for the rest of the 50 miles. On the Kestrel I managed to hang on for an hour. Just a heads up!
Old 08-31-06, 02:01 PM
Will race for points

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello. Is this thing on?
Anyone got any ideas for a launch time on Sunday? I'm good in the morning or early afternoon and my vote is for option B as well.

-I'll be on the RBM-richardson ride on Sat if any of you guys are going to be there let me know.
Old 08-31-06, 02:20 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Let's do Sunday - 8am meet up, 8:15 roll out. Let's go with Plan B - 35mi route.

dl613 - what length ride you doing Saturday? I may meet up with the RBM crew Sat morning. The 'Cuda hasn't been out since I washed and lubed her up and is feeling neglected.
Old 08-31-06, 02:33 PM
Will race for points

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cuda, I'll do the 34 Sat. Was the 8:15 up there on the first post the whole time? I must not have been paying attention.
Old 08-31-06, 02:34 PM
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dl613
-I'll be on the RBM-richardson ride on Sat if any of you guys are going to be there let me know.
Which RBM ride will you be doing Saturday. I could easily alter my plans and do the RBM Richardson ride. I do the 35 mile route when I ride out of RBM Richardson.
Old 08-31-06, 03:12 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by dl613
Cuda, I'll do the 34 Sat. Was the 8:15 up there on the first post the whole time? I must not have been paying attention.
Hehe, no, I just edited it to put it up there to have it easily seen. Sorry to confuse you. I'll head out with the 35mi group Saturday morning, though may take a breather at the 27mi turn around and head back with the 27mi group. Keep Sunday's BF only ride for the full 35mi route with the smaller group.

edit: Sat - will be on the Gazelle!

Sun - will be on the 'Cuda!
Old 08-31-06, 03:20 PM
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will you guys be riding with the 8:55 or the 9:10 group? The 34 mile group has gotten so big that they started having two departure times. It doesn't matter to me which one. I will be there early enough to take off with the 8:55 group. For those who do not know what I look like just look for the Scott CR1 Pro. You could also just look for the big black dude...there aren't many other cyclist that look like me
Old 08-31-06, 03:39 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Kevin, what's the avg (moving) speed of the 8:55 group? If I prep and pop a couple Sport Legs before the ride I could probably do half of the ride at a pretty good hammer pace. Probably could do me some good to really go all out more often than I do.
Old 08-31-06, 03:41 PM
Will race for points

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually take off on the 9:10 ride but get there early enough for either departure. I'm on a blue/black KHS with Blue Rolf wheels and yellow shoes. It's gotta be the shoes! I'll look for you guys Sat. and we can all take off with one group.

Cuda my last ave pace was 18.4 (first 5 miles are slow) and it starts kicking after we go by the rest area for the 27 mile ride. Once we hit bailey road, watch out for dogs and the lead pack starts hammering. After that you're pretty much on your own on the way back but there's plenty of traffic to group with others.

Last edited by dl613; 08-31-06 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-31-06, 04:09 PM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
crap, I'm teaching again. . .
anybody doing a Monday ride? labor day?
I'm thinking I might do the RBM to whiterock route.

marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 08-31-06, 04:12 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Ah yes, the blue Rolf's and the Yellow shoes. The 9:10 group sounds fine, I'll see how the legs feel when we get to 27mi rest stop, decide to keep hammering or cruise on the way back. Then again, last time I did that, the 27mi group hammered the whole way back at a higher avg rolling speed than the 35mi group had on the way out! Tomorrow I'll have the Gazelle, blue tires (lots o' pics in the link in Sig). Probably roll in fairly early.
Old 08-31-06, 04:13 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Marty - give me a time, I may be able to sneak away for a couple of hours on Monday too.
Old 08-31-06, 04:40 PM
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Kevin, what's the avg (moving) speed of the 8:55 group? If I prep and pop a couple Sport Legs before the ride I could probably do half of the ride at a pretty good hammer pace. Probably could do me some good to really go all out more often than I do.
When I was doing this ride on a weekly basis I was averaging 19-20 MPH with the lead, hammer group. The group always breaks up into two seperate groups; a lead group (usually 6-8 riders) and the main group. Jon, I know you can ride with the main group for 34 miles. The pack is big enough to draft if you start feeling tired or you can sit back and hang in the middle of the group the entire ride. This is my first week back on the bike since I rode with you and Fred in Denton. I may hang back in the pack also...it depends on how I feel when we get to HWY 78. You really don't have to worry about riding alone with all of the riders and groups that use this route on Saturday mornings. You're faster and stonger than a lot of the people I see on this ride.

This would be a good follow up to the great ride you had last weekend at the HHH. What doesn't kill you will only make you stonger
Old 08-31-06, 04:49 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Oh, I know I can ride the distance. I just have other things to actually accomplish the rest of the day too. I did 33mi this morning (white rock trail/lake from the apt) and then headed for class for the afternoon. Had to catch a 45min nap in the afternoon to get me through my evening classes. I avg'ed 18.1 on the HHH so I know I can do the speed (good part of the time rolling at 19-21), but still feel more comfortable in the 16-17.5mph avg speed range. We'll see how I feel Sat morning. If I take some Sports Legs I'll probably be ready to go. HHH made me a believer in that stuff. Just wish it wasn't so expensive!
Old 08-31-06, 04:56 PM
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I know I can ride the distance. I just have other things to actually accomplish the rest of the day too. I did 33mi this morning (white rock trail/lake from the apt) and then headed for class for the afternoon. Had to catch a 45min nap in the afternoon to get me through my evening classes. I avg'ed 18.1 on the HHH so I know I can do the speed (good part of the time rolling at 19-21), but still feel more comfortable in the 16-17.5mph avg speed range. We'll see how I feel Sat morning. If I take some Sports Legs I'll probably be ready to go. HHH made me a believer in that stuff. Just wish it wasn't so expensive!
Here's what I usually do to rejuvenate myself after a hard ride. I keep replenishing the electrolytes with sports drink then I have a big glass of chocolate soy milk (I hate cow's milk) and a balance bar. I rode pretty hard today at lunch and was exhausted. The snack that I described had my energy levels restored quickly. I follow that up with a normal meal. I'm feeling so good, I'm actually going to go to the gym this evening to lift weights.
Old 08-31-06, 05:17 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

Yeah, I need to get better about my post-ride recovery. Would probably do me some good for the rest of the day. Right now I'm slowly working on the second bottle of Accelerade I had mixed this morning but never drank during the ride.

Post ride this morning - a home made Egg McMuffin with a small glass of OJ, then a meal of Pad Thai later in the afternoon. More post ride liquids have always been hard for me to do consistantly (unless after an organized ride like the HHH)
Old 08-31-06, 05:26 PM
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the route on Sunday?
Old 08-31-06, 05:32 PM
Unique Vintage Steel

35mi route
Old 09-01-06, 11:54 AM
Unique Vintage Steel

Who's in for Sunday?

-- Cuda2k
-- Kevin
-- dl613
-- ??

Last edited by cuda2k; 09-01-06 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 11:56 AM
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who's in for Sunday?

-- Cuda2k
-- Kevin
I'm in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.